1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. HealthyHamstring

Yes this deserves its own thread

I find this concerning as it seems the Front Office is prioritizing near term winning or future ceiling. This screams impatience as the Nets picks have a chance to be 4 straight Top 10 picks.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't see anything wrong with it. Rockets haven't exactly crushed it on their high lottery picks lately anyway and l ike I said, brooklyn's draft capital is subjectively worth more to brooklyn than to any other teams

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, pretty bad if true. Shows we're willing to overpay for marginal guys. Of course, Scotto should be taken with a grain of salt; maybe they only offered two.

The hilarious part is the Nets refusing that package if this is legit. They're holding onto Mikal like a smug CryptoBro with an NFT picture of a monkey.

It's not bad because we're trying to trade the picks, it's bad because the return on value is crap. If you're going to trade that many picks at least go after a better player like Lauri.

theDude, Arnel, clos4life and 4 others like this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If the Nets wont even entertain the idea of trading Bridges for their own picks, then they are not going to trade him, period.

I do like that the Rockets are trying to improve. Not sure Bridges is the right guy though.

5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I imagine this happened in the off-season. It made too much sense not too. But I guess Brooklyn would rather be mediocre and sell tickets than ship out Bridges to start a rebuild.

The Nets with Simmons healthy will make the play-in. These picks won't be very good unless Brooklyn has several major injuries.

Arnel and jcmoon like this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Bob Meyers said Daryl Morey used to call him up and ask for Steph Curry when he was at his MVP peak. Discussions happen. People here think Brooklyn's draft obligations are untouchable, well, OK I guess that is A VIEW, but it seems unreasonable to me given the expected ROI on those draft picks.

Corrosion likes this.
  7. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

yup, i don't believe we'd be that stupid to do that this past week.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I read earlier in the year that Brooklyn thought that they were a superstar away from contending. Maybe they still believe this.
    Seems far fetched to me, but maybe they got cap space this coming off-season and dont want to rebuild.

don grahamleone and Bo6 like this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This ridiculous attempt to overpay sucks big time at first glance. I MIGHT give up 2024, but ABSOLUTELY NO MORE. I don't even want Bridges. Let a contender give up a bunch of firsts.

Perhaps there are other teams and players potentially involved.

10. kpdark

kpdark Member

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I would be shocked if they turned down their own 2 picks and 2 swaps + 3 expiring contracts for just Mikal Bridges. That's worth more than 3 FRP's from any other team. The only teams I can see paying that are New York and OKC.

red5rocket and don grahamleone like this.
  12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Maybe we were getting back more than just Bridges. Hard to tell what this is without specific details.

Patience, don grahamleone and Plowman like this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I could see them throwing a Super Max at Donovan Mitchell. They have a nice roster and with a Star player they are a top 4 seed. Not true contender but enough to put butts in the seats which is the goal for most teams in the NBA and certainly one with as expensive of rent as Barclays Center..

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Possibly an example of East Coast media bias and/or BKN's counter....

15. TimDuncanDonaut

Interesting.

[​IMG]

The picks are use them or lose them, in the end after Mikal, you can still flip him for other assets (or picks). Front Office inquiring is doing their due diligence.

Deckard, sirjesse, Patience and 2 others like this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The devil is in the details. I doubt the Rockets offered unprotected FRPs for Bridges unless they had a third team lined up to give more back to them for Bridges.

Plowman likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't see this being anytime recent. Probably much closer to the offseason. It was well known Bridges was very much coveted and deemed untouchable initially when they got him.

As the deadline inches closer, I can see them being much more tolerable to hearing offers now though

Astrodome likes this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I suppose it really just depends on your perspective. If the Rockets are convinced that we already have that guy on our roster, then adding a Mikal Bridges (and preferably Nic Claxton in the deal too) could really help us in both the short and long term. But if you don't have faith that any of our 6 young guys are going to be a top 10 player and that at least one other is going to be a top 30 player, then I think it makes perfect sense to hold on to the Brooklyn picks.

There are a lot of people though, that believe the Rockets may have hit on all 6 of our current young guys. And if you think that way, then we don't even have room for all of those picks. You can only have so many young guys on a roster.

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

HEYYYY HEYYYY HEYYYY! mountain man approves!

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

We have hit on all six. But one day, we won't have them all and we'll have to choose. We'll need good cheap young talent then.