1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Food Truck Park to open June 22

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Jun 14, 2013.

1. da1

da1 Member

The Bayou City is finally getting a food truck park.

Houston Food Park, 1504 St. Emmanuel, will mark its grand opening on June 22. Festival hours will be 3 p.m.-8 p.m. and approximately nine food trucks are expected to participate. Among them Yummyz Kitchen, Coreanos, POCKet to Me and Betton’s Comfort Food.

The park will be open for lunch daily beginning June 24.

HFP partners Jack Gillett, Ponce Tirzo and Miguel Villegas were spreading their message and reaching out to Houston’s food truck community this week via Facebook and Twitter. The trio are passionate about Houston and its vibrant food scene.

“Why does Houston have to play catch up to smaller cities like Austin?” Tirzo asked, referencing Austin’s long established food truck parks. “We want to change that.”

The Houston Food Park will be on the site of the former Meridian Club in EaDo. Tirzo says the space, as is, can handle eight to nine food trucks at any one time.

The HFP team are hoping to utilize a nearby parking lot once a month to accommodate as many as 20 food trucks. The expanded space will be a part of plans to make the Houston Food Park a venue for special events.

“We want to bring an urban festival scene to the city,” Tirzo said. “We want to celebrate arts, food and music in a setting that reflects Houston as the melting pot it is.”

To that end, the several events are already in the works, including a Retro Festival and a Beyond the Blacktop event. The HFP team wants to promote non-profit events that give back to the city.

Also in the works, a lounge and concert venue that will complement the food trucks.

Find the latest news on the Houston Food Park on Facebook and/or Twitter.

http://blog.chron.com/29-95/2013/06/houston-food-park-to-open-june-22-in-eado/

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If SmeggySmeg lived in Houston instead of Adelaide, this would have happened a year ago.

We are behind the Aussie's.

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Edgebrook is ahead of its time.

4. da1

da1 Member

And Long Point

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Right in time for 100 degree temperatures. Nothing like standing in line for a $9 hot dog with some hot Cheetos on it when you're drenched in sweat. I like food trucks though, but I also like hating on things.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I would say that I don't quite get the novelty of going out of my way to eat food out of a truck.

7. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Not to hate on it...but what a ****ty location

8. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

yea, i thought it was closer to the downtown library. then when i googled the address, ****ty location was the first thing that came to mind.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They're really forcing it out there man. Just move Moontower, Ninfas and the breweries and amputate that part of the city.

11. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

my thought is that maybe it'll be cool to go to before Dynamo games, but I work in city hall for an internship during the week and I would never consider going that far for lunch. I hope this can be more of a starting point, It'd be cool to see something similar in montrose

12. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I'll definitely be there for the opening next Saturday, thanks for sharing. Hopefully this sticks around, I would love to go there on my way to Rockets/Dynamo/Astros (Yes, Astros too) games.

13. da1

da1 Member

I checked it out yesterday. How good it is really depends on what trucks are there. Yesterday I had mexican nachos from tamalitos (good) and meatlovers sandwich from churrasco to go (decent). Apparently Saturday they had a much better crowd of trucks though.