1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Crime] foiled robbery at S. Gessner taqueria

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They are DEFINITELY planning on charging that man with murder. A cop telling you they "just want to talk to you" has about as much credibility as a guy telling his GF "just the tip" or that he "can't get anyone pregnant"

When you see the video as released on the news, it looks like the guy is fully justified, but when you see the whole thing, he fires like 5 times, walks towards the guy who is now unconscious on the ground, fires 3 more times, then picks up the guy's gun which was immediately dropped after hitting te ground, and then he fires one more shot at point blank range.

The first shots would be completely within the law in Texas, the next few are a grey area, the final one? Premeditated murder.

juicystream, 13 in 33, Nook and 2 others like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Is this the #winning play that brings peace to a community? Good guy with a gun and whatnot

I'm not saying the thief didn't have it coming he definitely did, and perhaps he even deserved it I don't know, but is this really the happy end goal for the country? Just feels like there's got to be a better way to combat crime...

4. Commodore

clos4life and Bobbythegreat like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah.....when even Branca is pointing out that it was a bad shooting, you know it was a REALLY bad shooting.

The last shot alone should land this guy a murder charge he can't beat unless a jury simply hates the robber enough to ignore the law.

6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

He’s a hero.

7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What if the shooter argued that the robber was dead after the first few shots? I haven't watched any video so I don't know where they hit or if the guy was still moving.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he argues that he was already dead, there would be no justification to keep shooting, if he argues he was still alive there was still no justification to shoot after he had already picked up the guy's gun that was dropped as he hit the ground.

This guy is guilty of straight up murder. He turned 100% justifiable self defense into a life sentence with the last 4 shots.

Nook likes this.
  9. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

A life sentence for overkill.

10. Commodore

Might be hard to find a jury to convict though. I'm not sure I would.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He could have had another gun. The dude is backing up defensively and obviously jacked to the t***. Cops unload 15 round mags, reload and dump another mag on unarmed saps and get off.

He was still looking at him cautiously and about to point the gun at him 10 seconds after all shots were fired. He clearly acted like he was in fear of the dead armed robber after all shots were fired so therefore he was in fear for his life before the last shot was fired.

dude is probably an illegal alien and not allowed to have a piece at all so is ****ed no matter what.

clos4life likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe that'll be what he tries to argue when charges are ultimately filed against him, but when you shoot someone 5 times and they drop their gun....and then you walk up shooting 3 more times....and then you bend down to grab the gun.....and then you take one more shot at point blank range at a seemingly unconscious, motionless person.....I mean, that's going to get you charged damn near every time.

It's REALLY hard to argue that you're in fear of your life of someone who is lying on the ground motionless who has already dropped their gun.

If he had merely mag dumped, there wouldn't even be charges because it would clearly have been self defense (which includes the defense of property in Texas)

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The standard isn't time between shots or number of shots fired. It's fear of life and would a reasonable person feel. It's clear his state of mind was not premeditated murder. He didn't turn his back on the guy. Ive shot plenty of things in the CNS where they get knocked out then jump back up after 5 seconds.

CCity Zero, clos4life and Xerobull like this.
  14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I think that this location might be just East of Strake Jesuit and St Agnes.

Nook likes this.
  15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

it is. You could probably throw a rock from that SE Strake parking lot that curves around those campus houses and hit the taqueria.

Mango likes this.
  16. clos4life

clos4life Member

So a guy threatens others with a gun and the one who keeps people safe is going to be charged? That's what's wrong with the law, I have no problem with his actions. Don't wanna get shot? Don't rob people then.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn't so much that he killed the robber, it's how he went about it.

If he had stopped at the first 5 shots, or fired all 9 times at once, there would be no chance of charges given the law in Texas.

However, when you walk up to an unconscious person you've shot 8 times already and you've already picked up their gun and you decide to shoot them one more time either out of anger or to ensure they die, it's murder, not self defense.

Anyone who doesn't know the legal way to shoot someone in self defense shouldn't carry for their own good.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Crime belongs in the D&D despite the majority of them encouraging it

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reminds me when Vernon Maxwell was carrying a gun at Lubby’s

he was making sure nobody will get robbed while eating an honest meal

the media spun that story like Max was being a bad guy

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

He could have unloaded multiple mags unto him, tea bagged him and then peed on him right before shooting him one last time and I wouldn't have cared. Dead is dead, he made sure he was dead. After he was dead, it didn't matter how many more times he shot him as far as I'm concerned. The law should not even be thinking about charging this hero who saved lives and future crimes from being committed. The fact that the law would allow for him to be charged is the true crime.

ROXRAN and Duncan McDonuts like this.