1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

damn im going to miss gibbs. It's a shame Herman didnt allow him to be the playcaller on defense to make him stay. Herman has to hit on this hire. Good job hiring Westfield's HC. He should help us big time in recruiting. He might be able to bring some of his players to come to UH and believe me, they have some players.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Toby-Weathersby-148184
    ^decommitted from Texas. He might come to UH due to grade issues.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrec...iver-148186;_ylt=AutNY3Pq8SRhSyGiNtOn9jdGPZB4
    ^brother plays for UH

https://rivals.yahoo.com/footballre...Cole-160178;_ylt=AnfhN7YqSne99X.KbBC6qX9IPZB4

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Gibbs will be missed for sure. But from what I've seen, I can't help but appreciate that CTH will come in and give UH football a much needed culture change. I think this is going to turn out to be a good thing. A very good thing.

I also love how he is immediately setting roots throughout Texas with his staff hires. This will pay dividends immediate, IMO. This is such an important time for UH in the college football (and athletics) landscape. UH couldn't afford to miss on this hire...and I definitely think they hired the right guy at the right time. Can't wait for eight months from now to see Herman's system and culture implemented.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It sounds more and more like he left so he could retain his staff.

If so, good for David. Taking a raise and ditching your staff would be dirty pool.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Disappointed in Gibbs leaving, but I don't blame him. Hope the incoming staff can match his performance. First time in a long time I can remember the UH defense being anything special.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: Prior to resigning at UH, <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachDavidGibbs">@CoachDavidGibbs</a> offered 2-year/$1.15million deal to stay as DC &amp; call defense. A $175K increase a season</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/552260263265579009">January 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

I can get behind Orlando as DC. We have players that can get to the QB, but we really struggled in that department even with Gibbs as DC.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Houston wide receiver Deontay Greenery will forgo final season and declare for the NFL draft</p>&mdash; Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/552615180731817985">January 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Draft him in round 3 Rick.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Who's Greenery?

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

He had a crappy year. Weird decision.

12. Poloshirtbandit

I'm guessing having a kid played a part in his decision. An NFL team is gonna take a chance on him, but could have been a first or second round pick if he stayed another year I think.

13. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Dumb move to leave early, but I understand his decision. He just had a kid and his dad passed away a couple days before the season. He wants to support his family.

1 person likes this.
  14. the shark

the shark Member

No problem with his decision. He has a family to provide for now.

Grateful that he even came to UH (spurning ND @ the last minute).

15. Progs

Progs Member

Get him Rick. Guy has potential.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

A degree in the right major would have been just as helpful for a longer term; I don't below what round GMs stop signing their picks long-term, but he could be on waiver wires and out of the league in a year.

17. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Not if he is slotted as a high pick. He can always go back to school.

18. Poloshirtbandit

Someone tell me how to feel about the new DC.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Bi-curious?

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

He looks like the kinda dude you would see at the gym wearing a torn up shirt so you could see the meat castle he built.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.