1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Depends on what jobs come open and how well he does.

The days of UH losing coaches to the Iowa States and Baylors of the world (no offense, BU grads) are probably over.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Get on the Herman train! :p

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Buckeyes?src=hash">#Buckeyes</a> OC Tom Herman wins the Broyles Award honoring nation's top asst. amazing job w 3 QBs while also having to replace 4 OLs.</p>&mdash; Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) <a href="https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/542395468186001408">December 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. newAge_Rockets

Herman would stay 4-5 years probably. Briles stayed 5, Sumlin 4. We tried to hire a coach that would stay with us a long time, but that ended in the hiring of a very under-qualified special teams coach. UH just needs to go out there and get the best man they can get for the job.

This is a critical time in UH athletics. If we get left out of the eventual Big 12 or Pac 12 expansion, we could forever be left in the dust. We need to show these conferences that with our new head coaches and our new facilities, we can compete on the big time level once again.

Also we need to show these conferences that we can have solid attendance. Football will improve once our new head man revitalizes the offense, sadly I don't know what it will take for UH basketball to improve in attendance even though I love the direction they're heading in with Coach Kelvin Sampson.

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Coogfans seems to be slanted toward Herman pretty strong.

5. Poloshirtbandit

Just like with football, bring quality opponents and win against them and people will show up. I remember going to a game vs LSU when I was a student and Hoff was packed.

6. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Coogfans blowing up based on someone with inside info. Hiring is imminent and should be announced tomorrow or Friday. First name...one syllable...last name...two syllables. /rumormill

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

One syllable? Two syllables? Why can't people just give a name. Putting inside information inside a riddle and all this nonsense. These people really like playing games. If someone really knows something they should just spit it out, or say nothing at all.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm good with Tom Herman. He's at a high level. We have the talent to win right away for him.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'm absolutely fine with Herman.

10. Buck Turgidson

Mike Ditka

11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

^ Case Keenum :grin:

12. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Read this too. This "insider" claims Mack had been working on this for awhile.

Correct me if im wrong but, if he has been on contact with Tom Herman since after the Tulane game wouldn't that break some sort of rule about talking to coaches during a season? or would Tom Herman even answer his phone during the season? I dunno but, it leads me to believe he has been talking to someone that either has been fired, been out of coaching for a year or Wade Philips.

13. Bob Barker 007

Could it be Doug Meachem? He taught O'Korn in 2013 and Boykin at TCU in 2014, so he has ties both to UH and the state of Texas.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

16. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

17. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Herman and Meachem are still my top 2 choices. Would be happy with either one of them.

Got my ticket to the bowl game against Pitt. Excited. No more Bush calling plays either. the rb coach will for the bowl game.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Surprised <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Houston?src=hash">#Houston</a> hasn't reeled up Tom Herman already. Coaching carousel is getting pretty nutty right about now.</p>&mdash; Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) <a href="https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/543402092401278978">December 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If you have an opinion about next UH Football Coach, now is the time to tell us.</p>&mdash; Renu Khator (@UHpres) <a href="https://twitter.com/UHpres/status/543447934159699968">December 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

20. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Herman or bust!