1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

House payment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Landryman14, Sep 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Landryman14

Landryman14 Member

Hey guys I have been having some trouble with my roommates regarding the payment of rent. I am currently in college and staying in a house with two other people. We agreed that we would split the rent proportionally according to room size. We also have a two car garage and we decided it would be a free for all and if a spot was ever open then you were able to take it. Now I felt that this was unreasonable because they were able to get the two garage openers and I didn't have one. Which would mean I would have to go inside open the garage and move my car inside. Recently they have told me that they want the garage spots for themselves because they're cars are new and nice. I said that's bs and I told them that I am not paying the same as them and getting shafted out of some priveleges.

What do you guys think? What are some possible solutions to my predicament?

2. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

At my last apartment complex, covered parking was an extra $25 a month... So each of them can pay an extra $25 a month, and you can save $50. Or something to that extent.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yeah, I agree with this solution. Buy another garage spot, add it into the total... divide by 3. Done deal.

4. Landryman14

Landryman14 Member

Hey thanks for the responses. The thing is it is only a 2 car garage and that's it. They are saying they don't want to pay that much for rent.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

is buying a new car an option? :D

6. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Yeah, you should have seen this coming. Remember that you're living with these two guys for the length of the lease. Pick your battles carefully.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

take out a $100 from your rent and tell your roommates to pay that between them since you won't have garage access. they'll b**** and maybe you can compromise on the actual deduction from your share of rent, but you go to any apartment complex with actual enclosed garages (not covered parking), and they usually run $70 to a $100 for a 1 car garage, from what I remember.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Roommate situations can be sticky. That's why this should have been determined PRIOR to moving in. If they're already unwilling to compromise, they'll probably be a pain in the arse to live with.

I say you offer to pay extra if one of them gives up the garage space, thus the one giving up the garage space will pay that much less. If neither are willing to give up the space then you should pay that much less. I don't know how big the rooms are or how much the rent is but if you come up with a reasonable price proposal, and say you'll be fine with either rent rate scenarios; then the ball is in their court.

9. droxford

droxford Member

You could buy a third remote garage door opener and keep it as a free-for-all.

10. updawg

updawg Member

break the garage door.

11. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Then nobody parks in the garage? How about you "break" the garage door opener...

Explain it to them like this protected parking is a luxury - they're getting a commodity that you aren't. There needs to be compensation, equal sharing, or nothing.

If they don't want to pay an extra $XX, then they can park outside.

12. tulexan

tulexan Member

I agree with buying another garage door opener

13. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Throw a clutchfans party and let us work it out for u.

14. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. You can buy universal kinds at Sears, or order one off the manufacturer's website...

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so they have new cars...but can't pay a little extra rent. sounds logical.

16. Landryman14

Landryman14 Member

This sounds like a good plan. If not Clutchfans party seems like a good time.

17. bmb4516

bmb4516 Member

Spend $25 and get a third garage door remote. They are easy to program.

Or, a more jackassish thing to do would be to change the remote code on the garage door opener without out telling your roommates. Again, very easy to do.