1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hotwheels and Matchbox shortage?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by STR8Thugg, Feb 4, 2022.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I loved collecting these as a kid, and I've been steadily buying them for my son, but over the past 3-4 months I can't seem to find them anywhere. HEB, Walmart, Dollar Tree, Target... shelves are just flat out empty, and when they do have some in stock, they are always the stupid fake-looking Hot Wheels like these below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm looking for the realistic toy cars based on... you know, actual cars. I did a little digging, and obviously supply chain issues has got to be part of it, but idk it seems absurd that there aren't even basic ones. Anyone out there know where I can find these without paying 1000% more on ebay, amazon, etc?

Never thought in a million years this would be an actual problem.

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I wouldn't make a special trip, but look around the Pharmacy area the next time that you are in a grocery store.

People are getting a prescription filled for perhaps a little one at home, so stores will display things to try and get an impulse buy.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Chip shortage.

Nook, BigM, JumpMan and 6 others like this.
  4. STR8Thugg

HEB has consistently been fresh out. I haven't tried any other grocery stores bc HEB>>>>>>>> and I don't usually go just to look for toys, but maybe Kroger has some of the good good.

HEB used to have a terrific selection though. I bought damn near all my son's Christmas gifts at HEB a couple of years ago lol

5. STR8Thugg

Useful

Ubiquitin likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

If say, somebody had a reasonably sized container of 70-80's matchbox and hotwheels cars...what could that guy do with them?

Uprising, STR8Thugg and Xerobull like this.
  7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

look them up on eBay sold listings to see if you have any hidden treasures

Ubiquitin and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My little guys are in to them big time. Hot Wheels been making a lot of awesome design and marketing moves, following the Lego template, with Hot Wheels City being a big seller. They also license different IPs- the Mario Kart cars are awesome. So as a result, they were cleaned out at Christmas.

Kroger Signature Stores of all places have a good supply.

There’s a massive collectors market. You should bust it out and see if you have any gems. They’re timeless, keep them around for visiting kids.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You could potentially have some expensive ones. Everything collectible has skyrocketed in price the past few years. I'd carefully go through them. lol.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

11. Buck Turgidson

Thanks for the advice, I still don't know what to do with this stuff other than leave them in the box, I do have a couple of hundred of them.

On another note...did any of yall have the TYCO electric racetracks? I think it was Tyco...?

studogg likes this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Man, I wanted those as a kid, but never had one. Don't know what they're worth nowadays, though.

13. Buck Turgidson

The main goal was to build a track long and curvy enough to where the would get in a few laps racing each other and then at top speed fly off of a bridge or curve right into the wall.

The other cool one when I was younger were BRIO wooden track trains.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

15. STR8Thugg

Yeah when I looked this up I found a reddit thread and a few posts specifically mentioned Houston as being particularly affected. It doesn't help that the small supply we do get, gets ravaged like hungry wolves by the collector types, leaving only the aforementioned trash vehicle designs. Matchbox are even harder to find than Hot Wheels, which blows bc pretty much all their cars are meant to be miniaturized real life versions, which is what I'm looking for.

dmenacela likes this.
  16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Matchbox cars are sold on Amazon. I don't know if they have a particular model you are looking for though.

17. STR8Thugg

Unfortunately it's all 3rd party sellers jacking up the price. I never buy from 3rd party on Amazon it's basically a scam.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

The Ford Mustang of Dreams...

[​IMG]

Own a few $50 diecast like the bugatti veyrons, but nothing in the big money range.

19. Poloshirtbandit

My dad had one. Him and his brothers used to race on it all the time. He may still have it, would love to play it with my kid when she's older.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

My son and I usually get a couple when we see them if there’s anything good. Definitely been a big time shortage for weeks now.