1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HOPE KEPT ALIVE] The Impeachment Trial of Donald John Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Dec 18, 2019.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You'll Tide

[​IMG]

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

Roc Paint, SamFisher and Os Trigonum like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

You misspelled "democracy", twice.

Deckard and quikkag like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Roll tide.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Watering down the impeachment process won't help at all and that's if they can still hold on to the House. I hope they can and even better I hope they can get a majority in the Senate. The subpoena power of the Congress and more specifically the House has show it can be defied already without any real consequences. What else is to be done here?

ElPigto likes this.
  6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

8. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Watching Nancy (that nasty lady) live now... She's really proud of herself and it seems like she's struggling to act somber. Why fake it? The whole CNN panel are smiling with glee.

Wait...I think I just heard that Nancy might not send the articles to the Senate unless she deems the there is a fair trial. Why does she care now?

..oh Trump looks pissed ...lol. His amphetabeans are working overtime! He looks like he might die tonight.

Corrosion likes this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I guarantee you had they not impeached Trump on this you would have ultimately felt worse about the power of Congress in the long run. I don’t think they had any choice and politically it would have been worse for them and drove more third party support or suppressed vote in 20.

To your point though I don’t think they will dare call their oversight impeachment again. I’m sure they will be careful to mind the politics of their future oversight.

The subpoena power actually did have a large affect on compelling witnesses who do not have the ability to claim executive privilege. Just look at the evidence they got vs the evidence even Bob Mueller couldn’t get in two years. When it comes to subpoenaing fact witnesses in the future, the US govt has a lot of people working in it that can’t afford high priced lawyers for years long court battles.

If Trump gets caught again I’m sure the subpoena power can still compel some witnesses and eventually next year the courts will have to decide if the president is a King or not. Keep in mind that Chief Justice Roberts can make a ruling on the spot in the trial on compelling witness testimony which will make all of the other defied subpoenas’ cases fall like dominoes. That’s why Mitch McConnell is trying to get a straight vote with the Senators that does not allow Chief Justice Roberts to make a ruling if the Dems call a witness in the trial. It would have a domino affect on Trumps obstruction by defying subpoenas just like that, and suddenly The Houses power magnifies with that ruling.

Does that explanation help/hurt/TLDR?

tmoney1101, RayRay10 and da_juice like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll blame @DaDakota

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Dems are smart they will not present the articles of impeachment to the Senate for a sham trial unless they agree to witnesses

12. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

DD would be the first one at his funeral ....and the last one to leave :D

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I actually agree with you here, but as @DreamShook says, the Dems are rarely smart in this way

DreamShook likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

and they'd have to put a sneeze guard over the coffin to keep DD from spitting on the corpse

Nook likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

That's how you get shot.

TheresTheDagger, Nook and Roc Paint like this.
  16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Ouch

17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Don't get angry at me, I didn't approve the impeachment personally. I will say this though, I appreciate the time you took to type that and as a moderate I hope we can make it all work. I still think this will bury us in 2020 but I hope not.

18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I've seen this before somewhere...:D

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dems don't know politics, man. They always get tricked into thinking republicans are playing the same game.