1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

honestly what can we get for langhi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tycoonchip, Nov 8, 2001.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Ah, the whole "maybe he doesn't know any better" defense. Nice one. :rolleyes:

I don't think you believe that any more than I do. He's got a college degree, has been in the league for 2 seasons. DL knew what he was doing, which was trying to force the Rockets' hand. There are plenty of other scrubs out there in the NBA who seem to know enough to keep their trap shut to the media, when it comes to coaching/roster management.

Thanks for the CBA heads-up, JV. I didn't realize that the minimum salary in the NBA had climbed that high. Regardless, I still think the Rockets have a right to hold Langhi to his contract with the team. With the forwards we have on this team, I can definitely see a need to keep a backup stashed on the injured reserve just in case.

2. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

That is a big IF. I don't think anyone will pick him up off waivers and so he will probably go to europe and we will have to pay $500,000.

3. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Get rid of Tierre Brown already, give Langhi his minutes, then trade him and Walt to GS for Jackson.

4. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

First of all, does anyone here know for sure that Langhi & his agent haven't been discussing his playing time with Management long before it was reported to the press? Other than Oeilpere, Clutch, & Doc Rocket, I doubt that any of you could know the answer to that question. I can easily see Langhi's position on this. With no substantial court experience, he'll be lucky to get an offer for the mininum from another team. Keeping quiet will cost him money.

As for trading him, let's look at our SF situation. Walt's contract expires this year & I doubt that the Rockets will resign him. Rice has 2 years left on his contract after this year & is getting up there in age for an NBA player. That leaves us with T-Mo & Langhi as our SF's of the future. Unless the Rockets can be assured of getting another solid SF by way of the draft or through a trade, then they would be wise to keep Langhi. The kid is a 6"11" SF & quick as a hiccup. You don't run across those players very often. He just needs PT to boost his confidence & get his shot to start falling. Contrary to what some posters on this board expect, not every player takes the league by storm in his first year or two. Case in point is Antawn Jamison.

5. ZHAR

ZHAR Member

SamCassell - you and others are quick to throw this on langhi's shoulders. However was it not Rudy T who started all of this with the comments he made on the radio. On that show he pretty much stated that there was no place for him on the team. If thats the case then why keep him?

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

nothing.

7. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

This is all about a sprained ankle!

Good grief. His confidence level has spiraled down. He's never had a sprain before... and at the worst possible time, when he needed to SHOW HIS STUFF. Of course he's at the bottom of the totem pole. Collier is at the bottom of the center list. Rice is injured, but he's proven himself in the past as the best 3 point shooter in the game. I think the Rockets would love for him to take off, and move up the ladder. That's why they tried him out at the 2 this summer. A guy that tall, who can shoot that well, woud be of great value to this team. The problem seems more to do with his confidence and chemistry with the team, which hasn't exactly meshed.

Now compare Morris. He seems to fit in the flow of things right off the bat. Langhi doesn't. He immediately goes for a shot, rather than feed off of the natural flow of the game. Perhaps Morris knows hes in good with Stevie, so he doesn't have to prove anything, but we're dealing with a confidence problem here, not skills. Someone needs to take him under their wing and guide him... I don't think he's going anywhere. We couldn't get ANYTHING for him.

8. Hottoddie

Here's a trade that I'd do in a heart beat.

Houston sends Langhi/Collier/KT/Drew obligation to Chicago.

Chicago sends Curry to Houston.

Chicago has a glut of centers, according to Tim Floyd & they are in need of a SF while Artest & Robinson are out. Collier could be moved to the PF position & with KT's lighter & much quicker physique, he could actually play the SF position in certain situations & of course, Langhi is a 6'11" SF.

We would get our center of the future & could groom Griffin to play the PF spot permanently. Imagine a future lineup of:

C: Curry/Willis/Cato
    PF: Griffin/Taylor/?
    SF: Rice/T-Mo
    SG: Mobley/Torres
    PG: Francis/Moochie

Okay, I'll come back to reality. The bottom line is that we should keep Langhi & promise to take care of him when his contract is up. With the Rocket's reputation, that should be good enough.

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

that future lineup looks good and I agree with it 100%. I hope it could happen.

10. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I thank Dan for keeping the bench warm these two seasons.

I also hope he finds a good summer league/pre-season home.

Maybe they can convince him that the regular season is just an extension of pre-season.

2nd rounder would be a dream. :D

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

LMAO:D

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Good idea but if you called Krause and said that he would hang up in your face.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So, he's got a college degree, been in the league for 2 seasons (I thought it was 1), and knows what he's doing, etc. If he's so smart about all this, why doesn't he know he's not helping himself by speaking out? Is he just smart enough to know what he's doing, yet not smart enough to know he's not increasing his chances of getting playing time? I still don't understand why someone can't speak their mind about their future without being criticized for "going to the media". If someone walks up to him with a microphone and says "So Dan, how do you like being on the IR?", what is he supposed to say? How do his statements in any way hurt the Rockets?

How do you know? Do you think this Langhi thing is a national story? Somehow I doubt it. If that's the case, how would you know if other players on other teams are saying the same things?

14. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I just confirmed that... Krause hung up.

15. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

The Real Problems:

1. Both CD and RT like him. He is a great practice player, is heads- up on the knowledge of the game and according to them, has great upside down the road. His height, versatility and developing range are items that both guys key with that position. Plain speaking – they like him and don’t want to lose him right now.
    2. Both CD and RT know that at some point they will need Langhi’s game due to match up problems, extended games, back to backs, etc … but more realistically he will be brought in due to a new injury or a nagging chronic condition by the present rotation players.
    3. Both CD and RT know it is likely that they could get a pick for him somewhere, but realistically he will have to be packaged with someone else to get a decent deal done.

Other Extenuating Factors:

1. Both CD and RT are unique in this industry that they will not stand in the way of a player who they feel can contribute somewhere else.
    2. Both CD and RT know that Langhi’s situation does not call for an immediate response.
    3. Both CD and RT know that Langhi’s worth will increase if he gets playing time, but will jump enormously as the season plods along and gaping holes start to appear in some teams rosters.

Bottom Line:

Immediate: Unless he can be packaged with some other IR player (Collier) he will have to be waived (not likely at this point) or trraded for a decent pick.

Twenty Five Games In: He will have some of his requested playing time and will be happy, or he will be given some showcase PT and traded for a more valuable return than [previous.

16. Houstone

Houstone Member

We can probably get a cheese burger for Dan Langhi... :)

Damn I'm Hungry...;)

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

If he's so smart about all this, why doesn't he know he's not helping himself by speaking out? Is he just smart enough to know what he's doing, yet not smart enough to know he's not increasing his chances of getting playing time?

Dan's got a decent chance, by going to the media, of getting released. If he does that, he can try to find himself some playing time on another NBA club, a European team, the NDBL, or whatever. Basically, if a player's a bigger distraction than a help, he's got a chance of obtaining a trade or an outright release. I think it was a calculated move that stands a chance of getting him what he wants.

I still don't understand why someone can't speak their mind about their future without being criticized for "going to the media". If someone walks up to him with a microphone and says "So Dan, how do you like being on the IR?", what is he supposed to say? How do his statements in any way hurt the Rockets?

He becomes a distraction. "No comment" is easy to say; so is "My ankle is feeling much better, and meanwhile I am working hard in practice to improve my game." By the way - have you seen any improvements in his physique? Skinny big men who want to earn playing time tend to work out in the offseason in hopes of bulking up. Even if he's gonna be a perimeter player offensively in the NBA, Langhi needs to put on some muscle if he hopes to defend anybody. I would guess that is the main reason behind his limited PT during his career.

How do you know? Do you think this Langhi thing is a national story? Somehow I doubt it. If that's the case, how would you know if other players on other teams are saying the same things?

You're right, it was an assumption. Maybe this kind of thing happens all the time, and I just don't hear about it. I've been wrong plenty in the past. Have there been any previous 13th-15th men on the Rockets who've made these type of complaints?

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What do you mean it's not national? RealGM covered it! :)

I think its obvious that the article didn't come up because a journalist asked a question and he answered it. They have quotes from Langhi and his agent. Both were very diplomatic (which suggests well-prepared). It was timed to coincide with his completion of the minimum 5 games on the IR. In short, this was a calculated move by Bill Duffy to put a little pressure on the Rockets to get his client some playing time -- on the Rockets preferably, but somewhere else if it came to that. All the same, I don't think its disruptive or malicious or anything either. It's just a loud Heads-Up! to Rudy to remind him that Dan wants to play. That's not anything to worry about.

19. Hottoddie

OP,

Why are the Rockets keeping Brown on the active roster, instead of Langhi? With Francis/Mobley/Moochie/Torres, there's no minutes left for Brown. I realize that Langhi would be in a similar position at SF with Rice/Walt/T-Mo, but at least he could get some PT.

20. chinese

chinese Member

:cool:
    Very workable, trade him with Dallas, for a 7 feet, Zhizhi Wang who is going to return NBA this Nov., Mav has a bunch of big guys,
    Wang to them is just nothing, he is something on our bench.
    he will not endanger Rox's payroll at all.
    BTW, he scored 36 points in 28 mins in Chinese Basketball Assoiation a few days ago, so 2nd round drafee for a 2nd rounder, if my proposal can be took serious, it can benefit Rox.