1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Historic North Korea/South Korea Meeting - Trump Peace Prize?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There you with your liberal hysteria. Typical.

If only I could bottle it up and sell it as tonic to corn fed meth addicts.

Amiga likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That should surprise nobody, based on 45's body of work and his campaign. He literally does not care about or even understand human rights.

3. conquistador#11

athletes should ditch wearing the revolucion castro shirts and wear this one.
    [​IMG]

4. Major

Major Member

Except that doing that empowers Kim at home (he's always in a fight to hold onto power - that's what drives everything he does), meaning we empowered a brutal dictator and likely will end up with many more of his people ultimately dead or killed. Kim getting to go home and state that he convinced the US to stop doing joint exercises with South Korea strengthens his grip on power over there. There's a very good reason American Presidents don't generally go around hanging out with brutal murderers that the world has isolated.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-wants-his-people-sit-up-at-attention-like-north-koreans

On a similar note, there's a reason that Trump does hang out with dictators - he wants to be one.

“Hey, he is the head of a country and I mean he is the strong head,” Trump said of Kim to Fox News’ Steve Doocy on Friday. “Don’t let anyone think anything different. He speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.”

Nook likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That's a very disturbing quote.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

More than not caring about anyone or anything except himself, he has deep admiration and desire for these dicatator’s power.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There is so many other ways to answer this

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The Israelis are best friends for life with the US. neo-cons who are enraged and threatened that peace might break out virtually anywhere between American and the enemies the hawks seek. . The US neo-cons and the Israelis scratch each other's backs.

Let me disclaim that there are an ever smaller number of of Israelis who must feel similar to the last liberal Germans secretly feeling sick as the great majority of the country went into lock step for Hitler and the Nazis.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

For those tempted to get outside the US media (military industrial complex)bubble that extends from the neo-cons to Rachel Maddow, here is a good article written by an unimbedded reporter with long time experience and expertise in Korea reporting from South Korea on international press coverage of the meeting in South Korea.
    https://www.thenation.com/article/trump-meets-kim-averting-threat-nuclear-war-us-pundits-furious/
    The mood was electric, and the reporters from Japan, Vietnam, Germany, Russia, France, and many other countries seemed genuinely excited about the prospects of peace in Korea. The feeling of camaraderie in covering a historic event was palpable; frequently during my two days there, reporters from one country could be seen interviewing crews from another.

At the nearby White House press center at the Marriott, the atmosphere was far more subdued. There, the established press corps from CNN, NBC, The New York Times, The Washington Post, and other major outlets seemed interested only in how the summit might affect Trump and his political fortunes, and had little interest in the enormous impact of a peace settlement on South Korea.

10. omgTHEpotential

That's ****ing gross... But at the same time, those are just words to pander to Kim's huge ego. He's a kid with nuclear weapons - you can't treat him like any other country leader, you gotta tell him what he wants to hear. And if that leads to SOME positive change (denuclearization), then it's okay. It's a step by step process.

11. conquistador#11

it's a week old but I couldn't stop laughing.

B-Bob, Nook and KingCheetah like this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Imagine if Obama saluted a N Korean General

RocketsLegends and his right-wing friends here would be getting the ropes out for the lynching.

13. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

It's strange to watch the bizarre bubble of US media.

In the rest of the world, the summit is seen as an overwhelmingly positive thing, especially in South Korea, whose president chaired the summit. You know, the president who was a former student protestor and human rights lawyer who said his first act as president would be a state visit to North Korea?

But nope, it's somehow all about Trump and/or the importance of American "moral leadership" -- whatever the **** that means. In America, most of us are informed by whatever corporate media personalities that appeal to our own political bigotries that tell us which conspiracy theories we should believe in, and which we shouldn't -- and that's why we can't have nice things.

I used to think Israelis were bad when they complained about not "getting enough in return" for making peace, but Americans are far worse -- they are willing to deny peace to other countries who choose it via their own elected governments.

Meanwhile, in the Korean peninsula,

#493 Deji McGever, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    B-Bob, Dayop and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's a good start compared with the situation 6 months ago. As a non-binding agreement there's still a lot to work towards. There's a cycle and pattern of distrust that makes me not believe N. Korea denuking until I actually see it.

I admit that same cycle would mean Hillary wouldn't do something like this.

BTW, S. Koreans will always be hopeful for peaceful resolution with their lost brothers. For one thing, they have more to lose. Another is that they're sick of the American bases in their backyards with the N. Korea aiming at them.

Perversely, there's even a growing number of them who don't want unification because of the tab they'd pick up, which implies living with Kim and a divided Korea with the current status quo.

#494 Invisible Fan, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Deji McGever likes this.
  15. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I didn't realize this was trending for younger Koreans. I also didn't know Moon's parents were refugees from North Korea.

But I do remember this discussion in the early 2000s, but it was attributed more to the wealthy rather than the young at the time. They noticed how the former DDR, a decade after unification in Germany, was still largely subsidized by the west. Outside of Berlin and the surrounding region, people were largely still on the dole and lacked skills to be employable, suffered rising crime rates, addiction, and so on. I still know a few Bavarians that say they regret unification, but as much as Deutsche Welle says Germans still have "walls in their heads", they also end with this:

I think a unified Korea could survive unification and they and the world would be better for it.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Quite unsettling for a dictator with nuke to need that much pandering....

18. omgTHEpotential

To put it mildly, yes.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, and we haven't removed a single sanction yet either, to Two Scoops' credit.

I'm sympathetic to Deji's angle here, but I do think 45 deserves criticism for just putting human rights off the table and even apologizing for KJU's record against his people. You can dodge those questions without praising the strongman tactics of a dictator.

I mean, he could even have said something radical like "well, we need to clean up our own shop, quite frankly. This I can tell you: we jail far too many of our own people in America. Have work to do." Heads would have exploded but I could stomach that better than seeming to admire an all-powerful dictator.

But since we're actually talking with DPRK, dialing back the temperature, and haven't removed any sanctions yet, I'm very pro-summit.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Having a nuke is the only way the US is interested in making peace. Otherwise you stand a good chance of being "freedomed."