1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Historic North Korea/South Korea Meeting - Trump Peace Prize?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If Hillary secretly met with Kim, we'd be talking about charges for treason...

This is way better than doing nothing and firing off tweets.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Possibly, but more likely we'd be talking charges related to the Logan Act. She has no official position and isn't authorized to negotiate on behalf of the US with any foreign nation.

If Trump had lost the election and then negotiated with North Korea, we'd be talking about the same situation.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Liberals' heads are exploding with all the success Trump is having! ...and to think, they tried to offer him advice on how to deal with North Korea, even after Obama's complete failure on the topic.

mick fry likes this.
  4. Anticope

Anticope Member

[​IMG]

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Pretty much this.

The reality is Kim is losing power from all sides. Chinese, SK, USA. Also its only inevitable someone inside his own circle takes him out. Kim willing to come to the table makes him look like the hero, thus putting less pressure from outside sources to over throw him. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a Cuba issue where peace is made, but decades more of isolation.

Buck Turgidson and Yung-T like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Rodman made all this happen -- why is he being ignored?

Invisible Fan and Rashmon like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Hmm this really has an Iran feel to it.

Time will tell but I can already tell you what one large problem will be.

"North Korea has long said the term "denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula" must include the United States pulling its 28,500 troops out of South Korea and removing its so-called "nuclear umbrella" security commitment to South Korea and Japan."

The USA is not going to pull all their troops out of SK and JP.

I know that Trump really wants the NPP but his military people won't allow the withdraw.

This really has an Obama/Iran feel to it.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

No Worries likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You haven't been paying attention it seems, North Korea dropped that long held demand a week and a half ago.

Could it still end up being a situation similar to Iran where the US made a deal on paper that was stupid in practice? Perhaps, but let's wait to see how it goes.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's an interesting conundrum. My guess is that his unannounced, secret visit to Beijing was when the Chinese told him to stand down. They're one of the few countries that has leverage over DPRK. I don't know how much more isolated they can be if China is unwilling to totally cut them off economically and they have their own reasons for propping up the North Korean regime.

Frontline released a great documentary last October about Kim Jong-Un's hold on power and, after watching it, I wouldn't say it's inevitable that he is deposed. The film argues that, barring famine or war, he has likely already survived the most perilous time to his leadership (his immediate ascension) when differing factions in the military threatened his hold on power and his older half-brother was alive. I don't think that the sudden ouster of a Kim would go over well with a population that has been trained to see them as deities for decades. A military coup would risk weakening its own claims of legitimacy within the country if not led by a Kim family member.

Yung-T likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed.

Time will tell.

NK was circling the drain and Kim was extremely desperate.

However on the other hand, we have seen how revolutions play out and that could be a disaster as well.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Your refusal to give Trump credit is a reflection on your character

Never seen such sour grapes

So many of us are waaaay too tied to our politics. Don't let your politics ruin your character

#32 pgabriel, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’m willing to say that this peace talk /summit is something Trump is credited to.

However in the same token it’s imperative that you also mention that he had to threaten nuclear war and publicly bully and antagonize another world leader to get that credit.

I fail to see a reason to applaud what Trump did here even though... yes he will get credit for it. And if the talks break down Trump will get to deal with that scrutiny as well.

No Worries likes this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Link?

15. No Worries

Liberals offered Trump advice about collusion and obstruction. But did he listen? No.

Trump also appears to have trouble listening to his lawyers.

I am sensing a trend.

16. No Worries

Kim and NK are notorious making reasonable deals and then breaking them the first they get.

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If he could really denuke NK, I have no problem with Tump getting the NPP at all.

18. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Liberal's brains will explode. The meltdown will be spectacular. Oh god please let this happen.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

We already know the demands. Bolton said similar to Libya - total denuke and on a timeline that is effectively before Trump 1st term. Those two are just wrongs on a number of levels.

If this fail, and very likely it will, the blame is on NK not Trump.

I'm fine with this failing. It would be amazing if this succeed. I'm afraid, the expectations are setup for failure so that Bolton can go nuke happy.

20. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Lmao!

Russian bots are having premature orgasms on clutchfans today

No Worries likes this.