1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HISD trashing TAAS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimbaud, Aug 14, 2001.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just found out that they have decided to get rid of the TAAS...so starting in 2003, it is dead.

The new wording is that the TAAS intensive curriculum of the last few years was all wrong and a hindrance to education. Classes will now focus on "creative thinking" etc.

This is most interesting because the "success" of the TAAS was a foundation of Bush's education vision.

Additionally, it is in sharp opposition with Sec of Education Rod Paige.

HISD had also started a very aggressive teacher hiring campaign.

Thoughts?

2. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

This is good news.

Party at my house.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

TAAS was, without a doubt, the biggest waste of time in my educational life (outside of those four and a half years of spanish I took). Teaching to the test consistantly took time away from other learning that we could have been doing. I would much rather see kids learning an extra 3 weeks (or whatever) of algebra or history or american literature instead of teaching them test-taking techniques and lowest-common-denominator information.

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Um, guys...the whole state of Texas inst using the TAAS in 2003.

The state is switching to the TAKS test, which is essentially TAAS II...basically the TAAS but supposedly harder.

5. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Hmmm, SCF, that is what I meant, just didn't seem to say it...oops :)

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Señor SamCassell,

¿Dondé está el zapateria?

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

rimmy--I dont see the point of the topic, if you did know that they are switching to the TAKS test...It's gonna be the same type of test with just a little bit more covered...

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I heard this too but a little differently. They are switching to TAKS but the classes will NOT be focused on studying for the tests because the schools will not be required to pass X number of students to continue funding. In addition, there is the suggestion that students would not be required to pass for graduation, but that it would rather be used as a measure of the school systems' ability to teach a broad range of subject matter.

9. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Yeah, my main point, SCF, was that they have stated that the "TAAS intensive (or any stand test based)" curriculum was wrong. There will be a new test, but they will try to make it different, and regardless, will not design lesson plans around passing said test.

This old approach that has been rendered bad and misguided, basically, was the foundation for the Bush/Paige education reform model...that is my point.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Señor A-tren, yo no sé. Yo quiero Taco Bell. :p