1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Hindsight"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Batman Jones, Mar 1, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

"This cartoon was written two weeks after the start of the Iraq war in the spring of 2003. Note the final panel in particular, in which I attempted to portray what seemed like a ludicrously over-the-top worst case scenario.

"Sometimes I frighten myself." - Tom Tomorrow

http://thismodernworld.com/2729

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I TOLD YOU SO! Sincerely, Batman Jones

Bats - the story isn't over yet.

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

We might need to start calling him NostraTOMas. ;)

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

You probably thought the Texans would go .500 last year, didn't ya! :D

6. Batman Jones

It's funny how you mock me for pointing out how my side was right on every single angle of the Iraq war and make no effort at all to argue I'm wrong about that. I guess you're conceding defeat on every single thing we've argued re: Iraq for the last few years and all you've got left is to call me a smarty pants. Pretty sad.

I know the story isn't over. More people die for Bush's mistakes and dishonesty every day. This story can't be over soon enough.

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

this is all the bushboys like tradertexx can say now. they have nothing left. :D

i remember this comic when it came out. sad that a comic strip writer had more of a clue how iraq would go than the bush administration.

8. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

They have nothing right left.

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

It wasn't hindsight to a lot of us.

February 2003
    [​IMG]

10. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Everyday must be the worst day of bigtexxx's life as Iraq and the Bush administration disentegrate. Every new day proves more and more that Batman was and is right.

11. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Uh, there were no WMDs found. I'm not sure what else you're talking about. Plenty of Iraqis did welcome the intervention. A genocidal dictator has been removed. A state sponsor of terrorism was removed. An inevitable proliferation risk was removed. A key cause of 9/11 was removed (troops in Saudi Arabia). Given their so-asserted dream scenario, Al Queda has been given a platform to show their true colors - and their actions have turned even Iraqis involved in the insurgency against them. A telling and crucial blow for AQ recruiting and support. Certainly everything has no gone as easy as we would have hoped, but I think you're doomsaying might be a little loud and premature.

12. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Because they were never there. Just one of may lies by the Bush administration.

Until they realized that the U.S. army wasn't liberators but were actually planning to occupy the country and never leave.

And replaced by a foreign occupier that is torturing Iraqis in the same prison that Saddam's regime used to.

To be replaced by a Shia majority government with close ties to Iran which happens to be an even bigger sponsor of terrorism.

Proliferation of what? We had already crippled Iraq militarily.

Note to the world, Osama is going to be mad if U.S. are anywhere in the Middle East.

Instead we have an Iraqi civil war now going on that could explode into a regional religous war.

Doomsday is currently playing in Iraq.

13. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

And Abu Ghraib is under new management; the Interior Ministry's Death Squads are replacing Saddam's Republican Guards ...

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

squirrel?

15. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Saint Louis - that post was awesome.

And for the record hayes:

This is really dumb.

16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

6-18-1994:
    NY Knicks leads series 3-2

Batman Jones: I told you that the Knicks would kill the Rockets. I was right on every single issue. You were wrong, wrong wrong. You are soooo stupid. I am soooo smart. Starks is money from three. Olajuwon against Ewing? Ha! I told you he didn't have a chance. Pat is money, and I told you. HA HA HA. Once again, you are STUPID. Look at all those fans ahead of time saying the Rockets would win. I can't believe they are showing their faces after the Knicks destroyed them. Once again, I told you so. And I am the smartest person in the world. You all are all pathetic liars for saying the Rockets would win. New York Knicks, 1994 CHAMPIONS. Stick that in your piehole.

Of course, the analogy above is only partially true, since the United States of America is not 'behind' in this war, but you get the point. The defeatists will jump on anything they can prematurely to try to win points.

America's perceived losses are their 'intellectual' gains. It's their personal gain, and in their mind political gain. It's disgusting.

17. Batman Jones

Oh, man. You even ripped off my basketball metaphor? Even with all the various ways it opens you to ridicule? Weak. Everybody else in the world was right. I was a fool to waste my time.

18. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i know you hate the douche, but he's usually good at humming a few zingers at you. on that last attempt, i think he hit himself in the foot.

19. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well in keeping with the basketball analogy that tj post reminded me of Stevie dribbling the ball off his foot AGAIN.

20. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Please explain your response. My point is purely fact so I'm interested to hear your problem.

Assertion.

First, you miss the point. Batman claims 'his side' was right on every issue. One of those was whether or not we'd be welcomed in Iraq. We were, hence he was wrong. Second, operational mistakes are largely to blame for a turn in public opinion. The whole course of the intervention would have been different had the Iraqi army not been disbanded. With more manpower to provide security much of the insurgency would never have taken off. So another of your assertions is simply misguided.

First, that's not the same as having a genocidal dictator in place - unless you don't understand what genocide is. Second, there is no indication that the US 'is' torturing Iraqis.

Assertion. I am arguing fact while you are making crystal ball predictions. A state sponsor of terrorism no longer exists.

Containment is not a mechanism designed to be permanent. At some point sanctions would lift and Saddam would restart his weapons programs (if he hadn't already). There is NO reason to believe he would have done otherwise.

You make another claim with no warrant. THE core objection Osama started with was the presence of troops in Saudi Arabia, not in the Middle East. SA being a uniquely holy place made troops there particularly offensive to him and his ilk. Again I am dealing in facts while you deal in conjecture. Look it up if you doubt it - there is plenty of literature that isolates his war as based on this.

First, this is not responsive to my point. AQ is being crippled because Muslims they are there to 'help' are flat out rejecting them. They are showing their true fanaticism with the bombings designed to draw two sects into conflicts, and bombings of weddings etc in Jordan. They are now losing the PR battle that previously they were winning. Its why Osama offered a truce, lol. The writing is on the wall. Your response doesn't even DENY this benefit. Second, again you use conjecture. While there is some sectarian violence I don't believe its legitimate to label it a civil war. Most of the violence directed at Iraqis is AQ based - designed to draw the sides into conflict. Iraqis are starting to realize this with even characters like Al Sadr coming out and saying there needs to be a unified Iraq. Third, what regional religious war are you talking about that will explode? Think back to pre-intervention days and there is more ground to say batman's 'side' was wrong about things. Remember the predictions that regimes would fall all across the Middle East as Muslims anger exploded in reacted to the coalition intervention? Haven't seen it, have we. On the contrary we've seen serious democratic openings in Egypt and Lebanon as a result of the intervention (wow, more benefit to the intervention).

I give reasoned answers. You give flippancy. That's ok since you can get some applause from some cronies, but don't mistake it for well thought out argument. Doomsday is not currently playing in Iraq, doomsaying is.

#20 HayesStreet, Mar 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2006