1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hey Biggio! Please oh please prove me wrong this time.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JBIIRockets, Sep 29, 2004.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Dear Craig,

I don't know if you heard, but the Astros pretty much control their own destiny now.

This is also the time of the season where I as a fan lose complete confidence in you when you come up to bat. Because as the past tells us, you suddenly never get on base in games as big as these coming up. You always go into a batting slump at the worst of times.

In the playoffs, you are 7 for 54 all-time, and a huge reason why the Astros have never won a playoff series. I realize other Astro bats have failed in the playoffs as well, but you are the table setter, our lead-off hitter. You need to find your ass a way to get on base so the opposing pitcher will have something else to think about while on that hill.

Last year, when all the astros had to do win most of their home games in their last homestand to clinch the division, you choked again, going 5 for 25 in the 6 meaningful games of the home-stand, with no walks. Unacceptable for a leadoff hitter. How ironic, that, in the meaningless and final game of the season, you went 1 for 1.

Now, as the Astros games get bigger, you are now in another slump. You have 2 hits in your last 26 at-bats, You have not gotten a hit in 6 of your last 7 games, and in that time span, you have only 2 walks. Unacceptable.

Craig, I have no confidence in you right now. I'm worried that you will kill every rally that is presented to you in these last remaining games. I'm worried about sharp double play balls I think I'm going to see. I'm worried about these lazy fly balls that are too short to advance a runner. I'm worried about you striking out with runners on second and third in a tie game in the 7th inning. I'm worried about all these things because I have seen you do this over and over and over again, crushing Astros fans hearts everywhere.

Yet amazingly, you are going to get another chance in these next four games to really help the Astros cause, another chance to exercise the demons.

Please prove me wrong Craig. I'd love to eat crow because that means the Astros will most likely be in glory.

JBII

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...I dunno what happened to Craig with that sweet stance and stroke he had working earlier in the season. He needs to get his game together fast!

Otherwise, he will always be the one who looked good on paper but never came through when it counted.

Nice letter!

#2 Surfguy, Sep 29, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I remember hearing he had an inflamed elbow or something like that. WOuld that injury make him change his swing in any way?

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1/3 with a run last night.

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

JBIIRockets: you have posted my feelings about Biggio for the last several years.

Now write a letter to Bags.

6. MadMax

better hold off on the letter to Bags. given his performance last night in a huge game, i'm not sure he needs it.

7. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Biggio made me look bad a little last night. Two quality at-bats that occurred later in the game. First the hit, then the sac bunt. If Biggio is going to get out late in the game, at least make it productive, and he did.

I'm not worried about Bags anymore. I mean, how awesome was he last night? I thought he was done as an everyday player. I was wrong. It was just a very very long slump.

as for the Rockies series, I dont want to see Biggio go 1-12 with a walk. get on base!

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Speaking of long slumps, Biggio has sucked since the All-Star break. Their late run has been in spite of, not because of, Biggio. Jason Lane's the superior player and should be starting, imo.

As for Bags, he's turned it around. He's not the Bagwell of old, but he's been very productive down the stretch.

Edit: Are you sure those demons need exercise? They're usually in pretty good shape.

9. MadMax

i won't disagree with you that biggio's second half has been below average. but i just don't think there's any body of evidence to suggest that jason lane is a superior player.

for as poor as he played in the 2nd half, biggio was the most consistent offensive threat on this team through the first half of the season.

10. SamCassell

Below average? A .733 OPS in the second half is absolutely horrible. I'd wager no regular OF in the game had a lower OPS in the second half of the season. As terrible as Hidalgo was in the first half of the season, Biggio has been that bad in the 2nd. Except that Hidalgo is a plus fielder with a cannon for an arm.

Biggio historically falls off after the All-Star break, this is just continuation of a pattern. When you add up his season, Biggio hasn't really produced much more than he did in a disappointing 2002 and 2003. A .335 OBP just won't cut it from a leadoff man. Lane's career numbers in the minors and the scarcity of ABs he's gotten in the majors all point to him being able to produce at a higher level.

11. MadMax

i hear ya, sam. but the guy is still set to score over 100 runs, again. his slugging percentage has to be better this year than the previous 2 years.

i agree...i wish his OBP were higher. but i'm not sure it warrants lane being a starter. again...i don't see the same body of evidence you do. what's lane, 27 years old? i just don't see it. i don't see that guy being an everyday starter as a solid contributor in an OF spot on this team.

who would you have batting leadoff? viz?

12. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Think the letter got to him mentally cause he came out and preformed like the Baggie we know.....or used to know :D

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Beltran....

14. MadMax

he's batting, what??? .260...he's a power hitter at this point. a power hitter with speed. a .370 OBP. you don't bat a guy like that in the leadoff spot.

15. SamCassell

Next year, Chris Burke might be a good answer.

16. MadMax

maybe. i hope so.

but that's been my point all along, there's not a group of guys who are major league ready and itching to take that leadoff spot. there's just not. i wish there were.

17. Stack24

the way they are bringing Chris Burke on it's pretty likely that they are not going to pick up the Option on Kent and bring Burke into the mix to play 2B. Everything i have read on the guy says he is basically the same type of Player that Biggio was when he was younger. If we can even get a bit of Biggo in Burke that would be great.

18. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Everett...?

Pugs

19. MadMax

his OBP is probably worse than biggio's (just guessing)...and he's been hurt for way too long.

at this point, i'm not an advocate of jacking with the lineup at all.

20. Stack24

This years...

Everett OBP .317
    Biggio OBP .336

Great assumption =)