1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here's my first Flash animation

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by heypartner, Feb 21, 2000.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks very sharp man ... I like it a lot.

Don't think I could help with a Rockets court logo ... definitely not in vector graphics. I have some above the court photos, but I doubt any fit it right. I'll take a look ...

3. heypartner

photos are better than nothing.

I could always use it to trace with in Freehand.

BTW...I just registered a domain to host my animations. rudyball.com wasn't taken!!!

Did you see that animation at nba.com? that nba.com play is never run by us...Francis strong-side with 3 other guys, never!! and Dream used as a high pick-n-roll, never. they tried to draw up the bullard high pick,,,or they were just making it up.

I hope to build up a collection of plays that I actually see on tape. Maybe if I do a good enough job the asst coaches will actually give me the names of the plays or critique them through email. It's fun to dream. Your site has been major inspiration for me to finally get off my ass and apply Director/Flash to the study of basketball. Your registered users should supply an infinite amount of input. With guys like nolen, popeye and a few others that have spoken up about plays, I think we can do a better job.

thx for the BBS!

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

heypartner,

Assuming that wasn't your first Flash animation, how long did it take to get it done?

I had better make sure there is no confusion on my question above. After you have gotten some experience with Flash, how long would it take to create that animation?

Mango

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited February 25, 2000).]

5. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Mango,

I've used Flash a bit for various effects on web pages, and simple animations like that (i.e. ones where a fixed object follows a guideline over a fixed timeframe) are fairly straightforward. I've just looked at it again, and it probably took longer to figure out who to draw up the play than to put it into Flash. Then again, I haven't tried to do it, so I couldn't say for sure. HTH

6. heypartner

Mango,

For every second of animation, my team of basketball analysts, tape crew, and artists devote 4 hours of work to get you the finished product you see.

Actually that was my first Flash animation as stated in the topic. I'm from the Macromedia Director world and was just evaluating Flash. From installing the program to uploading the file took me 5 hours one Sunday afternoon.

GB is correct. The movement along guides is pretty simple. Figuring out when to make everyone cut to simulate the play takes the longest time. If I was to do it again, it would probably take me 30 minutes.

Note, now I have a backdrop and all the "Cast Members" (Director terminology) to reproduce other plays rather quickly. I'm working more on aesthetics at this point-- court look, better control panel buttons, better player icons, etc.

If you want more info, I'm be more than happy. Although, as far as clever things go, I'm more useful answering Director questions. My Flash 4 will be arriving mid-month. I'm hoping they have a good reference manual like Director. Right now, I'm just kind-of learning by intuition.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited March 02, 2000).]

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The Flash 4 manual was sparse from what I recall (can't find mine at the moment), but they have several books out now (finally) that take you into much more detail than the manual. The manual covers the very basics (as most manuals do).

------------------
    <this space for rent>

8. heypartner

Dr,

you saying you have flash 4. dammit, i'm going to have to complain to Macromedia now. Mine hasn't shipped, yet. How long have you had it?

9. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Thanks to all for the responses.

Mango

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Heypartner,

I've had it for a few months now; bought it back in July or August of last year. What ought to piss you off even more is that I haven't had the time to look at it. I have it installed and that's about it. I even have a couple of books I bought not too long ago that I need to start thumbing through when I get the chance.

------------------
    <this space for rent>