1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help needed! I am in trouble!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by YoYao, Aug 4, 2003.

1. YoYao

YoYao Member

alright, I need to ask you guys for help, I receive a correctable tickets for not having license plate in front (gosh, there are millions car that don't have front plate, especially those european made cars, why the hell I am the only one who got a correctable tickets for driving a jetta! go fine the rich people!) and I totally forgot about it, never receive any letter from court or heard anything from them. today, I receive a letter from collectable agency which stateI owe them 357 dollars! and $250 for I failed to appear on court!!! I remember correctly when I got the ticket, the police woman told me I don't have to appear to the court since it is a fixable ticket!! but the letter also say if you present court with a written proof of good cause for my failure to pay, including military duty, incarceration, hospitalization or extradordinary circumstance beyound my countrol, the court will review it. now I have to go to court either tomorrow or this week, what will be a good reason I can tell them to wavie the fine! for god's sake, a 10 bucks process fee become 357 dollars! that is just ridiculas!!!! What should I do now?!!!! :( :mad: :confused:

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Why do I have the sneaky suspicion that this phrase (and this thread) will turn into yet another YoYao PS thread......

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

3. YoYao

YoYao Member

guys, no joking this time, I am pissed off and need you guys advice...I have to got this taken care no late than tomorrow

4. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Man, correctable tickets SUCK!!!

That's very strange; they wrote you up for not having front plates?

But you did have rear plates, right?

I don't think that's a law that one must have front plates. It may be in California, but I know in Texas front plates are pretty much optional; you aren't forced to have them present.

Heck, throughout the South, there are only rear plates.

Well, if I were you, I would go to court, tell them what the officer told you, and then try to win your case. Chances are you will still have to pay some cash for the initial ticket, which is very strange in the first place.

What you want to do to get off easily, is tell them that it is the summer and that 'we supposed get horny'.

You have written proof in this BBS of where you were when you were supposed to be in court, so that's not a problem.

Good luck; I don't want to see you in prison getting horny.:(

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

YoYao,

Two things.

1. Be polite in court. State your case clearly. Say you had no idea that you needed to appear in court the first time. I would be pissed if I were you, but if you show a court that you're angry, you won't help yourself at all.

2. You live in California, right? City and state agencies are desperate for funds. This may be why they're pursuing you with so much energy. I know that traffic cops are now looking for any excuse to give you a parking ticket in San Francisco.

3. Maybe they saw you on Hot or Not and they're trying to take down a celebrity.

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Just another reason to never, ever live in California...:mad:

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

front plates are not optional in Texas...and you will get ticketed for it.

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Sorry I'm no help YoYao. California like Texas is a 2 plate state.

Hate to break it to you Mr.Mooch but according to the TX State Gov website... "State law requires passenger and commercial motor vehicles operating on public highways to display two license plates: one plate at the front of the vehicle and one at the rear."

Out of the 50 states only 20 of them are
    single plate states.

That said... I don't have a front plate on my MINI Cooper and out of the 25 Coopers in our club maybe 3 have front plates.

9. no_answer

no_answer Member

I see a ticket in your near future. MadMax is right, it's not optional. My Fiance got a ticket for not having a front plate while we were in High School.

10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

YY,

b-bob is right. Also:

1. dress nicely. Long pants, nice shirt. Say Your honor and please.

2. put on the front plate and take a polaroid to the court. if you show the judge, he/she may let you off. tell the court (if it's true) that you have never known about this issue, never owned a car, didn't ever have a car without plates on front and back, was surprised to get a ticket about it, and simply forgot about the issue.

a sincere mea culpa plus remedying the offense has the best chance of getting you off with a lesser fine or complete waiver of fine. At least that's how it works in Tx.

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

OK now that people have helped you is it OK to joke around?

12. 3d-homer

3d-homer Member

Man,

I just went through this stuff with my wife.

If you've missed an original court date, talk to a lawyer. Most of the courts here will issue a warrent the day after you miss your court date. The courts will then call you, tell you you have a new court date and as soon as you show up they arrest you.

I'd talk to a lawyer before I stepped foot on the courthouse grounds. You may have to post a bond to ensure you don't get thrown in the pockey.

I'm sure everyone in jail has seen you on hot or not by now so being in the slammer could be a very bad thing for you man.

Really though, talk to a lawyer before you do anything.

13. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

No ticket for me.

"Alabama: The One Plate State!"

Well, better go inform my friend who was driving around in Houston with one plate claiming that it was 'optional' to have the front one.

14. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Get a good lawyer. Don't cheap out.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, I got a ticket for it when my front plate rusted off. I think it is on the books to give cops a pretext to harrass people -- that's what it was used for in my case. I had the wherewithal to show up in court and got it dismissed.

YoYao, don't make up an excuse. Maybe you'd get away with it, but I wouldn't try it. Be polite and ask for mercy.

16. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Maybe one of the lawyers on the board can work your case pro bono.;)

17. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I imagine MadMax would be more than fomfotable handling it.

[​IMG]

18. YoYao

YoYao Member

just drived to the dealship which I bought my car to ask them to put the screw on, (since there is no screw in front in the first place when I bought my car) so I can hang my plate! they were the one told me which u only need 1 plate in the first place when I bought my car, and they also said if you got into any trouble, just bring in the car, and we do it for free to put the licence plate on, which was like 4 yrs ago. I drove my car there, talking to the salesman, and say I bought car there and had all the maintance on my car in that place and ask if he can put the plate on for me, he said he would but since I don't have the plate holder or frame, I have to buy one which is 15 bucks + 20 dollars labor! BS! so I told them I am not going to spent 35 dollars on some stupid plate frame with the dealship name on it! they should have paid me that much for doing commerical for them! so he said then he can't not put the plate on for me, but the sales department might give u a plate frame for free, and he is willing to put it on for free for me. so I went there and sales person told me to come back to the service department for plate. so I went back, and the guy finally said, if he is the owner, he wouldn't want plate without frame, it might damage the car (yea right!) I told them I don't care about the car, so he found someone and took 10 sec to screw the plate on for free! what a ****ty day!

19. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Wait a sec. You did a commercial for them??

20. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I didn't know Madmax was El Guapo- Superstar Wrestler from Tijuana, Mexico.