1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HELP! Get me out of jury duty!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Da Man, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've got jury duty on Wednesday at 8 a.m. I don't want to go! How can I get out? I can try to claim an exemption or disqualification. They've got a disqualification that I can check off on their website that states that I am "not of sound mind or moral character." I'm tempted to claim it. I'm just scared of the $100 to $1100 dollar fine if they catch me. Help!

2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

What state are you in?

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I've always been tempted to check that "I'm immoral" box thingy myself.

What exactly can they do?

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Watch the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode about the Dodgers game and the HOV lane.

DONT DO WHAT LARRY DOES.

5. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Check it. It's not like they're going to come over to your house and interrogate you to prove that you are of sound mind and moral character. How could they?

6. Da Man

Supporting Member

I have no idea how they can prove it, but that $1100 fine keeps sticking in my head. I am very tempted though.......

7. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

if u got nothing else to do might as well go since u do get payed, not much but u wont have to do it again for another year , that is if u are even selected again.

8. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

if you're scared to check off anything, here's an alternate solution plain and simple: don't do anything.

if something SHOULD happen in the near future (highly unlikely), just say you never got the notice in the mail. it's not certified mail, so there's always that chance that your notice was lost or misplaced...which means they can't prove anything.

9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Dont check the "I'm immoral" box. I decided I wasnt going to post this, but since you are thinking of checking the box i will. Did your summons come by registered mail or just regular mail? If its regular mail you will get your answer from there.

10. Da Man

Supporting Member

It came by way of regular mail. Still pondering....

11. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races....

12. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

HAHA :D does that really work. theoritcally it should

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why don't you want to go? Isn't a day at the courthouse worth more than the worry that comes along by not going? Incidentally, by posting to this news group, you just negated the "I forgot" defense.

If you have a job, you can call them up and resechedule if you have a "project" you are working on. Once I had to reschedule and when I went to the changed time, I was the first name they called when the gathered the first set of potential jurors.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I just went, and it is EASY to engineer not being picked from the pool of jurors.

However, I could have avoided going all together by simply saying I had small children at home.

DOH !!

That, and I WANT to serve some day just to say I did it.

DD

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The defendant in the case on which I had jury duty was a big corporation, and one of the guys actually said that he hated corporate lawyers...needless to say, he didn't get picked...

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

When you are being questioned and they ask you something like "do you have any preconceived ideas in this case," tell them that you totally trust the police and if they picked the guy up, he is almost certainly guilty.

Works every single time.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

The funniest jury selection I saw was when they had us in the jury chairs and then started replacing jurors one by one with the pool of jurors. This one guy in the box kept raising his hand to get out of the 12. He had 10,000 different reasons to try and get out of it. He was a jerk. But the judge wouldn't let him out. He finally got into it with the judge at one point and the judge was pissed. So the judge finally let him out cause the huror was so evil, then afte lecturing him, they picked one last juror to fill his spot. with the last selection they picked his hot friend to serve instead of him! Ha ha. And boy was she pissed. I doubt they are friends anymore. She cursed him out big time on the way to the box. she was furious at him. But as a juror, I was glad they put the hot chick in there with me.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Go down and do your dam civic duty. People all over the world are fighting and dying for democracy and the right to a fair trial by their peers so your little inconvenience makes you look like petty and pathetic. Your employer has to let you off, you can ride the bus for free and for most people it involves little more than sitting around till 1 or 2 reading a book or magazine.

In the event that you are picked for a jury, you might get to express an opinion that actually counts for something or actually has a real effect on justice. Show some sac, be an American.

#18 Dubious, Mar 8, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

what could be more american than trying to weasel out of jury duty?

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ok...so under penalty of perjury you would swear under oath that you're not of sound mind??? are you sure you want to do that??

that means you can't sign a will...can't enter into contracts, etc.

or not of moral character?? kinda limiting to swear that you're not of good moral character, don't ya think. good luck holding any position of trust. that's public record.

dude, nut up and freaking do your duty. we all have to do it sometime. chances are you won't get picked.