1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[help] Broken passenger window

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by LFE171, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
  1. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Hey guys. Woke up this morning and found my passenger window broken. The jackasses took my ipod but left my sunglasses, and my golf clubs. *sigh* I guess I "lucked" out.

Anyways, I could b**** about it, but I'd rather have everything cleaned up and replaced. I know there are some guys who come on site, and replace your window (and tint too, right?) If you guys can recommend anyone, I would GREATLY appreciate it. And if they're open on sundays, even better.

I drive an 04 Acura TSX btw. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

Did you have them where you could see them if you peaked in the window?

3. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

thats why you never leave valuables in the car.

4. TL

TL Contributing Member

A similar thing happened to me a couple years ago. Knocked out my passenger window and stole my ipod. Nothing else was stolen, but the broken glass scratched up the dash pretty good. I had my insurance cover it and the directed me to Safelite auto glass who came out and cleaned it up and replaced it the next day (cleaned up on a saturday).

I'm not in Texas, though, but i feel like i remember their name from when I did live in Texas. I'm sure they provide the same service.

If they don't, just all your insurance company and get names. You don't have to file a claim with them if you don't want, but they can get you referrals

Good Luck

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are you insured for glass breakage (if that would apply in this case)? If so, your insurance company may prefer that you go through a particular company.

6. bobrek

Regardless of where the stuff was or if folks could see them, it is not his fault that a thief stole his stuff.

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

True, I guess. But it's still good advice not to leave valuables in sight in your car. It doesn't justify theft, but it is pretty much asking for it.

I'm trying hard to break my girlfriend of the same habit. Windows are breakable so they're going to get broken by thieves. But if you have no valuables visible from the window and the car next to you does have some, who's going to wake up to a broken window?

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

That is why my car is safely parked inside my garage.

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

DaDa did it.

10. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Haven't you specifically argued this thought before on previous vandalism threads? I vaguely recall your name always raising an issue about this, and how people should not have a problem with valuables being visible all the time. If that wasn't you, I apologize in advance.

But I really don't think it's hard to understand. No one is justifying any thieves' actions whatsoever. What we're saying it to use some common sense. If you park on a public Houston street, don't have anything visible... if you do, then obviously the chances go up that your car will get broken into.

I've had it personally happen to me three times in my life. After the third instance, I got really fed up with replacing my car stereo and window every time. So I stopped putting ANYTHING visible in my car... like literally just about nothing other than some napkins and my garage remote. Guess what, my car hasn't been broken into ever since (about 6 years now). I don't think it's coincidence.

11. bobrek

Good memory, because I have argued that in the past. Granted, it is better to keep things out of sight and locked, but in my opinion it is never the victim's fault if a thief chooses to rob him/her.

We had two cars stolen out of our driveway and another attempted theft in the Astrodome parking lot during the 1986 Astros-Mets playoff series (but the crack Astrodome security staff prevented it). I got really tired of hearing folks say stuff like "that's what you get for having a Firebird".

Thieves broke into my Jeep Cherokee with absolutely nothing in view (and nothing of value in the car).

Thieves are thieves.

12. LFE171

LFE171 Member

True, I shouldn't have left my ipod in my car. But it was concealed and inside the console. Luckily they didn't take my clubs or sunglasses, which cost more than the ipod.

I actually got a guy coming over to fix it for $120. Kinda sucks I have to get it retinted. Ah well, I'm moving out of here (galleria area, gated community but wtf?) soon. Thanks for your input. PLEASE be careful with your cars guys.

Thinking about a better car alarm. Any suggestions that won't break the bank?

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Galleria Area crime has been on the rise lately, I've been told.

Just moved into a gated community here, but there have been memos issues about **** getting jacked on a regular basis.

My solution is simple: Drive a piece of **** car with nothing inside of it but trash.

14. LFE171

LFE171 Member

That's the thing. Our condos are gated. I'm moving out soon anyways so whatever. The security of my new place better be competent. Though highly doubtful.

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

my house was broken into last tuesday :( .

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

I was just asking a question and I did not say it was his fault.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

You can get some ideas about how to deal with this by looking at the car photos in people of Wal-Mart. I can't link right now because of work, but I remember one genius took a Twister board and used that to cover his broken window. That seems like a good, cheap, and attractive fix to me.

18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

This solution has worked for me. I drive an old beat up honda with nothing inside but an old pair of work shoes and some trash my kids threw in the back. I even leave my doors unlocked at home and at work and don't have a problem. I do live in a somewhat rural area though.

19. bobrek

Why ask the question? What difference does it make if the valuables were in sight or not?

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

Why ask a question of me asking a question?

Do you always make a big deal out of small stuff?