1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hello there, racists!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Nov 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. redlawn

redlawn Member

There are actually a lot of studies and articles on the limiting of Asians into college admissions process. I do not have the articles in front of me, but a quick Google search gave me this:

http://news.yahoo.com/asians-college-strategy-dont-check-asian-174442977.html
    http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...-u-s-asian-american-discrimination-probe.html
    http://www.nationalreview.com/corne...issions-and-hispanics-contracting-roger-clegg

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Oh really?

[​IMG]

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Most likely this is a backlash of the effects of schools overly recruiting Asians in years passed. The UC system was notorious about recruiting Asian students in years passed, but now they are backing away from that. This is why some sort of system of merit (maybe a hybridization) would be better. Also, for most graduate studies it doesn't really matter where you went to undergrad as long as you went to a domestic school. A lot of these students who are getting rejected from the Harvard's and Yale's will still go on to hold strong academic careers, especially in Medical School or Graduate School. My best friend's sister went to U of A for civil engineering, she then got accepted into Harvard and Yale for grad school (she ended up choosing Cornell). Graduate school is slightly more based on merit, but not completely. I'm not saying the system is fair, it just goes to show that the system as is is not working. These students shouldn't be rejected from the schools they desire when they are qualified to go. People have to lie about who they are and where they come from. This is wrong. I half considered saying I was Indian to apply for an upcoming fellowship. If my boss found out she would kill me, so I didn't. Pretty soon we will see white males saying they are part native american such that they can get their dues too.

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

What do you expect? Most racists are white and the south is where most of them live.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I have seen far more racism in Chicago, Columbus and Europe than I ever did in Texas. The difference seems to be the degree that people in the South will go to express and represent their racism. It is very bizarre.

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Quite hypocritical coming from the most blatantly racist poster on this forum.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

South is more overt
    The North is covert . . . they tend to smile in your face
    and then say and do things things behind closed doors

Among black folx. . . . they say the south may call you the N-Word
    but alot of place of north will sure as hell treat you like one . .. . .

This is like debating the virtues of Tuna versus Salmon
    after 400 years. . .they both stink

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  8. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

no racizts in boston or philly, all in da south

9. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Speaking of Malcolm X, here is one of his greatest speeches (and one of my all time favorites from any speaker):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CRNciryImqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is this speech racist?

10. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I'll plead ignorance on the first point, but why would you not classify yourself as Asian / Pacific Islander? It's been a while since I've applied to anything that would require me to self-identify, but aren't the typical categories usually similar to these:

White
    African-American
    Latino
    Native American
    Asian / Pacific Islander

Why would you not be Asian?

On the second point, there is no way that Indian, Chinese or Japanese immigrants are given an upper hand in admissions. If anything, I would guess that these three groups are deemed over-represented minorities.

11. Nook

Nook Member

You are insane.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Tend to agree with you but I will say living in Chicago I have heard more whites and foreigners drop n-----r in casual conversation than I ever did in Texas. Really makes me uncomfortable, sitting in a restaurant and hearing the Greek owner drop a slur or a union worker telling a joke.

13. split41

split41 Member

I doubt there'll be a focus on it, as we are the power-dominant ethnicity. This may sound like a crazy analogy, but it's like a child calling a parent a d******d, it's not a big of a deal as the other way around, because one is in a position of power.

I do think this is a good idea though, like someone said this is public, and they obviously want to identify with this characteristic.

If people didn't want to get abused they should really watch what they publish on the internet. The internet is public and written in ink.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This line of thinking is incredibly dangerous. The US doesn't work in such absolutes -- it's more nuanced than this. In some situations and in some companies or areas, blacks are actually power dominant. You can't allow their racism in any forum, but especially not in those forums.

Gotta be fair here

15. split41

split41 Member

No, I agree. I definitely think context is integral and it should be equal all around, I was just suggesting that because, generally in the west, whites are the power-dominant ethnicity, that there will be less of a focus on racism towards whites - as it's not as detrimental to race relations (due to the power dynamic).

I'd say it'd be the same as in a sexism forum, in that, generally speaking, there'd be less of a focus on sexism towards males, because they are the power-dominant sex (despite the fact that sexism towards males happens).

The point I'm trying to elucidate is that it is more detrimental when the powerful disparage the not-so-powerful.

When all is socially equal there will be more of a focus toward racism and sexism as a whole, I think.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thanks for the info. I am planning a trip there next year.
    I will have the brace myself.

Rocket River

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bigotry + Power = Racism, Sexism, etc.

Without the power component . . . these are minor annoyances in life
    When You add the power to control, destroy, manipulate situations to enforce your bigotry . . . .it is a totally different thing.

I KKK member in Kentucky talking in the back woods before going back his job in the Coal mine. . . .does not bother me.
    well
    not as much as the board members of Dennys thinking it is ok to charge black people . . .and only black people a cover charge to get into their restuatant.
    Exxon Executives referring to black people as black jelly beans
    on a micro-scale
    the Sales clerk who only follows black people around the store
    Strangely enough . .the only people she catches stealing are black people
    could it be because that is all she looks for??? of course not. . . it is because it proves her preconceived notion correct and she was in a position to enforce it through her actions .

Without POWER . . . . bigotry is laughable.

Rocket River

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

According to the NSF and NIH you're incorrect. Of course, this is in terms of undergraduate and graduate (Masters and PhD/MD) awards. The NSF states that those races are an under-represented minority in awards handed out (Bachelors, Masters and PhD/MD). As for me classifying myself as Asian/Pacific Islander, I cannot classify myself as that. The NSF clearly states that anyone from the middle east is considered White. Most fellowships mirror what the NSF dictates (including an NIH fellowship I want to apply for) so I cannot simply put that I am Asian/Pacific Islander without it being a lie. The whole notion of middle east being white stems from the intermixing between the Greeks and Persians (or so I've been told). The system is obviously flawed but it is what it is.

19. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Didn't know that...always saw Asian and assumed that would include the middle east.

That may be the case institutionally, but, more pragmatically, I doubt that you would see people of Indian, Chinese, or Japanese descent get much benefit from affirmative action initiatives.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

From the common app:
    You're then prompted to pick your origin. White is split up into Europe and Middle Eastern, There is a seperate part of the application that asks about latino descent..