1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

whatever. :rolleyes:

2. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

And the answer to my earlier trivia question (Where did 'upset' get its current connotation?) is: Upset was a horse that was considered to have no chance to beat Man O War in the early twentieth century. Win he did and sportswriters have been using 'Upset' to mean an improbably victory ever since.

Besides, Buster Douglas had worse odds at beating Tyson. The US hockey team has worse odds against the Soviets (Miracle on Ice). You risk disappointment if you believe, but you're already there if you don't.

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Perhaps... but Will is a respected member of the fan-family. He's not a troll.

4. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Off topic question: If Griff is a potential superstar, then aren't curry and chandler potential superstars too? And if they are, then wasn't Krauses summer a major success too?

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

6. heypartner

First off, the point of my post that is utterly lost on you is that Dumars was not a veteran on the first title team.

Secondly Dantley was not a malcontent. Dantley took them to the finals with Isiah. Dumars considering him his mentor....this is a fact! Trading Dantley had nothing to do with lockerrom chemistry, as Dumars very much looked up to him.

7. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

In other words, just as with the last championship you guys won, you're going to wait for the resident stud to go away before you'll feel free to play.

Pray! HA!!

8. Shandon Anversen

i think krauses summer was a success. i know i'm in the minority, but i really think that it was.

curry - more than likely (esp. in the east) - will develop into a 20-10 player. that's exactly what brand gave you.

chandler can be a 15 & 8 guy or better and is basically gravy on top of whatever curry gives you.

in fact, i was going to post a thread in the dish about this:

who had a better offseason: chicago or the spurs?

to me the answer's obvious. chicago got younger, but ultimately stronger (long run). san antonio got older at a key position and also took a huge roll of the dice in 2 years (when all the contracts are up).

chicago has had a gutsy, gutsy offseason.

9. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Actually Dumars was a very mature player early in his career. I can't find a reference to him calling Dantley a 'mentor' anywhere although I did find John Salley saying it. LOL. The only props AD ever got from a teammate was for his workout ethic, not his on the court playing, which was selfish, non-defense playing ball hoggery.

As for the chemistry he created in the lockerroom:

"But the Detroit hierarchy sensed that the elusive team chemistry wasn't quite what it should be, so three days after the All-Star Game, the Pistons traded Adrian Dantley and a No. 1 draft pick for forward Mark Aguirre of the Dallas Mavericks. "

PLEASE NOTE - That is from NBA.com, which never says anything bad about anyone.

AND

"Just nine years after hitting rock bottom with a 16-66 record, the Pistons reached the top of the basketball world in 1989. Their 63 wins in the 1988-89 season were a franchise best. That season the Pistons also moved into a new home-the 21,454-seat Palace of Auburn Hills. The team started slowly but took off after a midseason trade sent Adrian Dantley and a No. 1 draft choice to Dallas in exchange for Mark Aguirre. Far from disrupting team chemistry, the deal enhanced the squad's spirit.
    (from A History of the Detroit Pistons).

Notice it says the team took off AFTER AD was traded.

10. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

And if you were right about AD, why would Detroit trade him for a player that scored three less points a game, and played about as little defense? Keep in mind they threw in a #1 pick. Doesn't make sense unless you understand that AD was a chemistry sinkhole.

Also, Joe D. was the starting SG for the team in the Finals the year BEFORE they won (which some would say makes him a veteran) AND the star defender in the 'Jordan Rules' prior to their first championship (which some would say gave him that hard veteran edge).

He also played bigtime college basketball at mighty McNeese State! ;)

11. Shandon Anversen

12. heypartner

I am right about Dantley. Aguirre provided court chemistry on the floor, but Dantley was the lockerroom leader....not ISIAH!!! In Illionois, I played against Aguirre and Isiah....I followed Dantley's career closely. This is why I know the Pistons history so well.

Personality wise....Dantley definitely was a (if not THE) leader for the Bad Boys.....not Isiah or Dumars....yet. Dumars was a leader only after the Finals MVP he got that Aguirre was instrumental for exposing!! Look Aguirre and Isiah knew each other for a LOOOOONG time; they faced each other in the Illinois State Championships! It was well know Aguirre never really liked Isiah, certainly not like how Dantley go along with Dumars and Salley.

<a href="http://global.nba.com/news_feat/friends.html">Dumars considered Dantley a "father figure"</a>

Salley considered him a mentor.

<a href="http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/Aficionado/people/ff598.html">Salley viewed him as a mentor</a>

13. Shandon Anversen

14. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Yeah, yeah...I was at that game. The guy next to me kept yelling "WHO was the first pick? Who??"

Felt like belting him...

15. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

oh do shaddup--- ;)

Brand outplayed Francis that game, and Francis wasn't the reason the rox won---

Heres one for you: Betcha Brands team wins the seasons series with yours...

16. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I bet the Cubs win the Series before the Bulls ever do jack again.

I think Jordan got out of Hoops cause he knew The Rockets would have taken him. :mad:

17. Sonny

What do you wanna bet? Monikers?

why dont you go to www.bullsblow.com www.worstineast.com

Also try www.gotswept.com

18. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

They might do it before the next NBA season even gets going good.

I think the rox were so despondant about his return that they never got up energy enough to get back to the finals to face him.

19. Sonny

too much insight for me...

20. Shandon Anversen

no way the bulls win the season series with the rox this year. now way, no how.

that said, i will have fun watching the bulls this year. they have a young frontcourt that will be fun to watch grow...