1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Healthcare Professionals and Students Roll Call

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Medicine N Music, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have seen many threads lately about dentists, medical problems, ethical situations in medicine, etc. Just wanted to see how many of us are here at clutchfans. I'll start....

Been a pharmacist for the past 3 years, practicing in both retail and inpatient hospital settings. Planning to go to medical school for Fall of 2013, so my moniker may need some tweaking haha. Hopefully clutch will accept my request.

Also, if anybody has questions regarding how to get into pharmacy school, what to do during school, or just questions in general, I will be glad to help. Even though clutchfans is not really the best place for this sort of advice/discussion, this site has helped me tremendously throughout the years.

2. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

A good idea, man.

Looking to go into college and obtain a bachelor's degree in respiratory therapy. Any tips from those who went through college shooting for a medical degree or any information from health care professionals?

3. moose

moose Member

Sweet thread.

I asked you a question in the zpack thread, but I figured you may have missed it. I'm starting pharmacy school at UT this fall. I was just curious to know what led you to go to medical school now. Was pharmacy not your thing? And advantages are there of having a PharmD + MD?

4. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

For anyone who went to med school and is in the field of medicine now, what college did you go to as a freshman out of high school? What is the best route to get into the medical profession.

5. moose

moose Member

EDIT.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dentist for 2.5 years...1 year in private practice, but looking to open a 2nd practice in the Katy area by November or December. Clutchfans discounts, as always.

7. rezdawg

The college is almost insignificant. Just focus on grades and MCAT.

8. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I'm in a required dentistry class at my school. Don't know how you guys do it. That stuff really takes A LOT of skill.

9. rezdawg

Ha, just a matter of practice...lots of practice. :grin:

10. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Pharmacy is more behind the scenes and in many fields of medicine, you are directly dealing with patients; intiating and managing care, performing surgeries, etc. Even though pharmacy does have some form of patient contact [not counting "patient consulation"], the number one task is still verifying and dispensing scripts.

There are some advantages, but you can do almost anything with an MD if you go the physician route. If you are research heavy, having a PharmD in addition to an MD may look better for big pharm, or a research institute. You will also most likely having an earlier and better understanding of a wide variety of drugs. Don't get me wrong, MDs in many specialities will know a lot more about those drugs within their specialty than most retail pharmacists.

11. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

"Most" colleges are irrelavent. However, IVY league schools are given special consideration. For example, if you have a 3.3 GPA from Harvard, adcoms will look at this differently than say, a 3.3 GPA from UH, and also differently from a 3.3 at San Jac.

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Strake Jesuit
    Texas A&M
    Texas A&M College of Med

Med Student.
    Lobbyist for Medical Education
    Medical School Administration
    Clinical Research Fellow in ENT, Radiology, & Anesthesia (Medical College of South Carolina)
    About start Radiology Radiology at Mayo Clinic

About the getting into med school:

1. Get good grades, especially your science classes such as Biochem, O-chem.

2. MCAT is getting more and more important which you have to do well in. (Especially if your looking to get into the top ones like Southwestern/Baylor)

3. Exposure to the medical field in some capacity, even if it is just volunteering. They really are investing in your future so they want to make sure you are in it for the long term meaning they want you show due diligence.

4. Research is really overstated, but if if you have a gap somewhere, this can really help out. All about getting a good mentor, because you have to be productive with getting things written/presented/etc. Harder than you think it would be.

5. Other extra curricular type of activities. What they are really looking for here is that you showed commitment and potentially leadership qualities with something. Being a part of 20 things is not that great unless you managed to be in charge of all of them. Being part of a few organizations of your college our outside and moving up in leadership capacity is most important

(I was on the admissions committee as a student. Will probably be on it as a resident as well)

13. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

For this question, there is probably too much to list. I would google "Student Doctor Network". Most of your questions will be answered there.

14. rezdawg

Sure, aside from a handful of schools...otherwise, it makes pretty much no difference. I went to Washington University which was ranked above a few of the ivy league schools when I graduated...didn't make any difference, and I've spoken to about 15 members of admissions committees in both medical and dental school.

15. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

A&M has the longest secondary app in Texas. I'm currently working on this as we speak right now...

16. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Yeah, I think we're saying the same thing. I just wanted to point out that there's a few schools above the cut, then 4 year universities, then community college.

17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I can give a pretty thorough analysis of A&M's med school if you want, just pm me.

18. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

represent Wash U, went there for undergrad, phenomenal school. loved that place.

one more year of medical school for me here at Baylor College of Medicine in houston.

19. rezdawg

The Bears!! Haha, I think there are at least a couple other alums on here too. Nice.

20. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

While there is still a slight association, I'm not sure if the College of Medicine actually has any mascot like Baylor University.
    As for me, I'm not in the medical field (IT) but I went to Baylor planning to be a doctor. My two eldest brothers are doctors. My wife is about to be an NP. I have three pharmacists and an optometrist in the family. Lawyer possibly as cousin-in-law. That's nearly an HMO.