1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heads Up: Rockets draft pick Lior Eliyahu on NBA TV

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Jan 20, 2007.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2nd half just started. I caught the end of the first half.

Maccabi vs. Barcelona.

Eliyahu is #8.

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

damn i was just in barcelona....pau gasol is a hero there

3. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Eliyahu is apparently the name of a very important prophet in the Jewish faith.
    Very important name.

As far as his game, I am watching it right now. He is very gutsy, but not fast or athletic for the NBA game

4. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

he SUX...

:rolleyes:

NEXT...

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's been matched up with Robert Archibald, who had a cup of tea in the NBA, who goes a lot bigger than him.

Lior looked like he has a ways to go. He needs to get a ton stronger. Quickness-wise, he seemed ok, but could probably use a little more overall footspeed.

The first play of the 2nd half, he had a nice baseline cut for a dunk. He moves exceptionally well without the ball, doesn't look to force anything, which at times meant he looked like he was coasting out there offensively. He also had a really nice fake to draw the contact and the foul. It looked like his shot was a work in progress - his first FT looked awkward but went in, his 2nd was much smoother.

I was a little disappointed expecting to see a few more flashes after reading Dennis Lindsey's blog, but it's just one game.

I would say his peak upside would be a smaller version of Gasol. He seems to have a similar body type, and similar slithery moves inside. Gasol was obviously a much more highly thought of player at the same age.

I was VERY impressed with Rudy Fernandez, who was playing for Barcelona. He's supposed to be a first round NBA prospect, and it showed. He's 6-6, but skillswise he looked like he could play a bit of point guard. Very good balance of slashing ability, shooting ability, and passing ability.

6. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Yeah Rudy has been in first round mock drafts for the past 2 years, and is expected to be a top 20 pick this year if he finally decides to come over. Offensively there isn't much to dislike about his game, but he just doesn't have the ability to ever be more than an average defender... which is a problem for teams looking to draft him at the 2 spot. I can see him averaging 18-20 ppg in the NBA by the time he turns 23... you see alot of Rip Hamilton in him.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Hmmmm... that sounds mighty familiar. Like, maybe a certain Greek player at the end of our bench? :(

8. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

:rolleyes: Who could that be?

9. fbagulbagul

fbagulbagul Member

padgett?? :D

10. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Whatever happened to Malick Badiane?

11. Caboose

Caboose Member

How long before Lior Eliyahu becomes the next potential Rockets superstar?

12. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Who? :D

13. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

Who are these people? Did we get them on last draft or the one before??? I thought we only picked Novak in the 2nd round

14. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Lior was a pick we got from Orlando (44 pick I believe) and Malick was a second round pick in 2003. Pretty safe to say he's not doing any good if we haven't heard much from him. I liked Malick from what I saw during the summer leagues. His offensive skills were very raw. But a pretty good defender.

15. Sextuple Double

Do I know this Lior dude!!?? :rolleyes:

16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

EDIT :D

#16 ClutchCityReturns, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  17. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

it was supposed to be a joke man.. didn't mean to offend anybody or be stupid.. :D

I actually watched the game, he is a pretty good player. I've seen many games for him (they constantly have them on NBA TV) and I think he has a great potential (dont even mention the rockets though) :D

18. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Ahh...well, I apologize. I've seen basically the same as you have, so you can understand why I would say what I said. I think he's got potential and could at least be in an NBA rotation. 7th or 8th man, if not better. He's still only 21.

I'll edit my other post :D

19. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

LOL. no prob buddy. :D

I really think he can be a decent bench player in the NBA one day. considering his young age, this guy has the potential.

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Watch out, Lior... you're DaDakota's next victim. Even if you're a scrub.