1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HDTV receiver

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by red, Sep 19, 2003.

1. red

red Contributing Member

Whats a good receiver to buy? Whats the difference between them? Thanks for any help. Im going to go search for some brands but if anyone has any first hand knowledge share now.

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I take it that you use a regular antenna?

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

get digital cable with provided HDTV receiver and don't buy any equipment would be my advice.

I love mine.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I use a TimeWarner HD receiver on a fairly new 32" Sony Wega and the picture seems to be to 'yellow'. I just can't seem to get good color on HD while the plain digital channels are fantastic.

Also the conversion back and forth from HD to cable takes too long for an ADD channel flipper.

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Gene, Get the new box, No switching.

And I have the old box still and my color is great, not yellow one bit. Whites are real white and the colors are very vibrant like I expected. I was watching a game at my house and went to my brother in law's and was watching the same game and the colors looked exactly the same. Come on over and check it out. :)

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I rent one from Time Warner Cable for $6.50 a month. That includes the HD channel package and insurance.

The sad thing is I hardly watch any high def programming. Alias and 24(which at 480p is technically not HD) are pretty much it. I may give The Practice another shot now that it's back on Sunday nights. And if Time Warner would ever add the WB in HD I'd be able to watch Smallville. HBO drives me nutz with their policy of cropping every movie to fit the 1.78:1 dimensions of HDTVs.

7. red

red Contributing Member

i have comcast digital cable and i also have dish network. I have a HDTV capable tv not a HDTV readt tv. Do i still need to get a hdtv receiver or will the HDTV cable box cover that? The comcast website says you need a HD ready tv...

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The HDTV cable box is the HDTV receiver in your case.

An HDTV receiver is only needed if you plan on getting HD signals over an antennae.

If you get HD through your cable, you should have the cable company provide you with an HD box.

If your cable or dish network DO NOT have HD options, then you would have to buy an HD receiver to get the signal through the air.

9. red

red Contributing Member

thanks supermac that all makes senses.

10. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I have DirecTv HD Receiver (cost me $500 several years ago) and also have the Time Warner HD Cable box ($7/mth).

I recieve HDNet, HBO, EPSN, Discover and couple of others in HD from DirecTV. I get CBS, ABC and I think Fox in HD on the cable box.

The cable HD box does not require diigital service, only regular cable. (I do not receive digital cable because for most channels, it fell far short of DirecTv quality. Was not as noticable on my 35" screen as the 53" inch one.)

I also get a too much yellow/green from the Warner box. The Satellite HD is also off on the color a little, but not as annoying as the cable.

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

hmmm I wonder why some people would get too much yellow green and others wouldn't. I tell you my picture is beautiful on my 47 samsung.

12. Nomar

Nomar Member

Do you know what programming is true HD? 1080i?

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

1080i and 720p are true HD. CBS and NBC broadcast in the former and ABC in the latter. I'm pretty sure HBO and Showtime are 1080i as well.

480p is essentially the equivalent of a DVD on a progressive scan player. It looks really good, but it's not high definition. Fortunately, Fox will start showing programming in HD in Fall 2004.