1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HDTV - Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drewdog, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Mitsubishi
    1080p
    DLP
    57"

$1299 at Fry's

This seems like a really good deal to me, but almost too good to be ture. Why is this so much cheaper than an LCD or Plasma? Does the picture on DLP's suck?

We have a TV stand, so I dont need to hang it on the wall or anything.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

First of all, most DLP's cant be hung on a wall. They are flat screen, but not flat panel. They do have some thickness to it.

Second, DLP's are awesome (I have two of them), but the best DLP's cant compare the picture quality of a really good plasma or even LCD.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Depends on the model number, but that is an awesome price...I have a 65"Mitsu Diamond (WD65833), which has everything, most notably the 120Hz and HDMI 1.3, but I paid a lot more for it...they are definitely cheaper now...you can't go wrong with one...My bet is that one doesn't have the 120Hz, but who cares...

You would have to buy a stand, but you can get one pretty cheap at Circuit City...

Mitsu

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No, its not a good deal when you consider the following (note its a bigger screen) http://dealnews.com/Mitsubishi-60-1...tion-HDTV-for-1-350-free-shipping/232238.html

Also, there is such a thing as too big. And you start getting there at anything bigger than 47in and up (depending on room size). There is a 50in 1299 Samsung 1080p 120hz DLP out there that is probably better quality if you don't mind losing some size.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DLPs don't suck, Plasmas and LCDs are more expensive to produce.
    That's a good deal. DLPs will always be cheaper.

I do believe that its an older DLP model, the newer ones have LED backlighting instead of a bulb. you just have to replace the bulbs every 3 years or so.

Many people on this board have this type of TV.

7. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I have the 57 inch version of the Sammy , excellent TV !!

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Hey Drewdog,
    how big is your living room? if its really big, check this out:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3749849&CatId=1830

60in Mitsubishi $1399 with FREE SHIPPING!

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yes. Yes IT IS a good deal.

About 1 year ago, I visited Connvict's and saw a 72" DLP 1080P HDTV for 2400, so I'd guess the 57" for 1399 is a good deal.

Do they let you pay for it with no interest for 18 months? If so, I'd take it. I would prefer to have the larger screen [like the one tinman recommended], but you will see how it fits in your gameroom/home_theater once you take it home. :)

For some reason, my wife didn't like the Mitsubishi's image at Connvict's more than the way our current Sony Wega looked at Circuit Pity. :confused:

DLPs are definitely LIGHT in weight and can't be hung on the wall, but the price to screen size ration is better than PLASMA and LCD.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

those in store viewings are usually the worst way of judging a tv. the best place is reading reviews, going over to people's houses who have the tv in the right setting or going to a high end store where you can view it correctly.

i mean sometimes they have the Non-HD channel playing and you think that tv was crap.

if you have a big room like Swoly said, you should get a DLP.

11. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You should be good with anything over 46. 42 can def feel small.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    "That's what SHE said!" :D

LOL... I was actually LOL'ing with this one...

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I was about to post the same thing...

The bigger the better Drewdog...Now that's what she said...

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Yeah but you can get a DLP with all the goodies of the high end plasmas, good contrast ratio, black level, and 120hz for much cheaper than the top plasma or LCD. plus the size/price ratio. Over 55inch I'd still recommend DLP, under its a tossup.

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Does that hold true for the new LED DLPs also? The lamp DLP is not something I would actively go for even with all those things you mentioned. Bulk is a major negative these days.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

LED DLPs don't need bulb replacement cause the LEDs last for 60,000 hrs
    Its really not that bulky, compared to the old RPTVs.
    The TVs are lightweight too.

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I was asking more on those points I quoted you on about DLPs vs plasmas/LCD. I was assuming you were talking about lamp based DLPs and wondering if the same apply to LED DLPs which are slimmer then lamp based ones if I remember correctly.

Plus when I say bulky I was also kinda implying NOT wall mountable. More people want to wall mount their TVs these days.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

I think the LED DLPs are about the same size as the other DLPs.

What if you live in an apartment? I doubt the landlords want people drilling holes in their walls. I think # of people who actually wall mount is still less than people that don't.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

So your points about DLP vs. plasma/LCD holds true on the LED based DLPs also?

plus people can patch up holes, but I don't care about that. just answer the first question which you've been dodging this whole time lol...