1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] Chernobyl

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by donkeypunch, May 9, 2019.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Greatest show of all time quality-wise. Sad its only 5 episodes.

plates300 likes this.
  2. plates300

plates300 Member

finally watched the last episode - nothing short of an amazing mini-series. Unreal, unbelievable. One of the best mini-series I've seen in a while.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

They were gonna make it a full 10 episodes but they were afraid the director and staff were being exposed to too much radiation so they had to cut episodes and speed up production.

Gotta say they did a fantastic job with the amount of pressure they were under.

B-Bob, plates300 and Rocket River like this.
  4. donkeypunch

Damn, after all that, the craziest thing to me is that 2 of the 3 divers sent in to shut the water off are still alive. This story and survivor accounts just gets crazier and crazier. I want to study more about it, but am frankly, afraid of the information. Bravo on this shows acting, directing and storytelling. Bravo.

"Why worry about something that isnt going to happen?" - KGB

B-Bob, Rocket River and plates300 like this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I only listened to the first 2 podcasts. but I thought they said it was filmed mostly in Croatia and a bit in the Ukraine.

6. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

Just give it ALL the Emmys now.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I want to watch this...however, it's my understanding it's best avoided as the show you watch right before trying to go to sleep. Is that correct?

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. donkeypunch

Youll probably want to binge. The content material is rather disturbing and will probably get the hamster in the noggin spinning the old wheel, asking why and what the ****?

gucci888 and MadMax like this.
  9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The story is compelling so you'll likely want to read up on some of the stuff you just watched but not a big deal.

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Obviously not even close to what Chernobyl was, but I expect criminal indictments on the Flynt water debacle. Heads will roll as they should.

donkeypunch likes this.
  11. CrazyJoeDavola

"'Why worry about something that isn't going to happen?'. Oh that's perfect. They should put that on our money."

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

When will this be on Netflix or Amazon?

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

nevar

14. Buck Turgidson

You're a smart man, got that Stratford/Baylor education. You already know a bunch of it, but you can handle the rest.

MadMax likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

I'm sure it's been posted, but I'm re-reading the thread as I re-watch.

The animals have retaken the Exclusion Zone. Bears, wolves, deer, etc...it's really cool, and they are all apparently healthy.

16. Buck Turgidson

Massive amounts of free/slave labor and unlimited natural resources.

17. TheresTheDagger

The entire mini-series was excellent but the conclusion with the trial was beyond amazing.

The 3 things I'll remember most from this mini series is

#1. The arrogance of that plant manager Anatoly Dyatlov

#2. Even though I already knew the corruption and secretiveness of the former Soviet Union was legendary, it was still amazing to watch how inbred these traits are in almost every Soviet citizen....the higher up the ladder the worse. Even in the face of one of the worst man made disasters in history.

#3. The heroism of so many people was astonishing...(the "bio-robots" on the roof is something I'll never forget.)

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Watching it again now...

#2. If you haven't seen "The Death of Stalin" you really need to.

wrt #3. They did what they were told, others did what they were asked to. I'd like to think I/we would do the same.

not fun fact: all of the people who watched the fire from that bridge in ep1, they all died.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What does it take to get the bullet? I mean Dyatlov went loose cannon with a nuclear reactor and got 10 years. Granted, he always thought he could shut it down, but I’m surprised they were that lenient on him.

20. Buck Turgidson

Wow, I forgot this...

...And now you want us to swim under a burning reactor? For what, 400 rubles?

You'll do it because it must be done. You'll do it because nobody else can. And if you don't, millions will die. If you tell me that's not enough, I won't believe you. This is what has always set our people apart, a thousand years of sacrifice in our veins, and every generation must know its own suffering.

I spit on the people who did this, and I curse the price I have to pay. But I'm making my peace with it, and now you make yours. Go into that water, because it must be done.

Hakeemtheking likes this.