1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HBO Boxing

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by MiddleMan, May 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Cintron leaving in a stretcher??? The fight was just getting good.

2. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

That was crazy, really sucks for that Cintron guy. I'm a casual boxing fan who only watches the big fights, but I was really interested in watching a full Paul Williams fight..that all got thrown out the ring...

3. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Been watchin the UFC fights....

What happened?

4. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Williams was very clumsy lunging in with lead lefts and he got tangled up with Cintron. Williams falls down and Cintron goes through the ropes, landing on the table and then ending up on the ground outside. Replay looked like the fall didn't hurt at all, but Cintron stayed out for a few minutes and got carried out on a stretcher.

To make things even weirder, the fight went to the scorecards (dumb California rule, every other place it would be a No Contest) and Cintron was announced as a split decision loser as he was being carried out. He looked pissed off and started punching the door in the ambulance.

Now people are wondering if Cintron faked the injury because he thought he would get the decision.

5. MiddleMan

I want to see a rematch between cintron and paul williams, both were stunned during that round but it would ended in a TKO by the 7th round at the most. I feel bad for the fans that purchased the ticket to see it.

6. MiddleMan

From the camera POV it looked like Cintron was okay after exiting the ring, but then again it was slow motion??? :confused:

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I love watching Paul Williams fight but tonight he just hadn't gotten worked up yet. That was a real downer that they had to stop the fight on that note.

I would love to see Paul Williams fight Manny just for the freakshow size difference that would represent. I think there's a possibility it happens.

8. MiddleMan

At 154 or 147??? He would be very effective if he would use his jab through out the whole fight against pacman or money.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Paul says that 147 isn't a problem for him but that's seems crazy low for a guy of his build. At whatever weight, I'd like to see him mix it up with either Floyd or Manny.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Manny or Floyd don't want anything to do with Paul Williams. His work rate would out point Floyd and he's just too big for Manny. With that said, would love any match involving these three guys.

Margarito just scored a knockdown.....

11. VanityHalfBlack

Antonio Margachito is fighting as well, who is winning that fight??

12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Exactly. Floyd and Manny want no part of PWIll. He can make 147 but it's not comfortable anymore. It's sad that a guy has to offer to fight between three weight classes just to get a fight nowadays. Paul is a real throw back fighter.

Side notes.....

Cintron quit. That was some Golota stuff right there. He is too mentally weak to be a pro fighter

Margs had nothing on his punches. He was clearly better then Garcia but his punches clearly weren't the same. I think this fight led a lot of credibility to the argument he was wrapping his hands illegally for a while

13. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

After tonight I am more convinced that Pwill would get dominated by Floyd. His footwork is horrendous. He bends down to punch every time, his jab is weak. He bends his knees when he jabs, but he isn't jabbing to the body. Why would you bend down to jab if you are taller and jabbing to the head? He lunges with all his punches, even his straight left looks like a hook.

He will not do well against Mayweather, he will be picked apart. Hell, he was missing and making Cintron look like some crazy defensive slick boxer. Terrible showing by Williams. Work rate will mean nothing if you aren't landing ****. Williams is over hyped.

I do agree that Cintron isn't mentally strong to fight anymore.

14. King1

His game plan was to feel out Cintron early. Kermit's only chance was to catch paul early and they were not going to let that happen. Paul starting finding Kermit and then he lept out of the ring. The youtube clips are hilarious. Cintron will now be a name for propects to fight.

I have personally heard Floyd saying he won't fight Paul. You know Floyd is my boy but PWill is a bad fight for him. He can't hurt him and doesn't throw enough punches to counter 100 punches a round. It's a fight that goes to decision that Floyd could lose. As much as he plays up his "money" angle, he cares more about the 0 on his record then anything. He won't fight Paul. Trust me on this one.

15. bladeage

I agree that Floyd will not fight Paul but I doubt it is because he doesn't think he can beat him. He won't make enough money fighting Paul. If Paul was to get his **** together and fight like he should then he could definitely UD Floyd, not easily though.
    Floyd will fight and beat Manny and he will retire.

The thing about him getting countered is, once he sees that he is getting countered constantly, he will stop throwing as much. And when he won't be getting countered, he will be hitting nothing but air. Paul has a lot of talent, he has potential to go down as a great champion, but he has some things to work on.

A fight with PWill and Manny shouldn't even be considered. Pac won't even be able to hit him. Unless Paul reverts to his bending all the way down to punch strategy, then Manny definitely has the speed to catch him with something. Anyway, not likely either fight will happen. Rematch with Martinez is what I want to see. I think Martinez takes the 2nd fight and they set up a 3rd. We need a good trilogy going, haven't had a good one since Barrera-Morales. I enjoyed the Vasquez-Marquez trilogy but Barrera-Morales just seemed more action packed.

16. King1

Right now Floyd is going to protect his legacy. It's funny because people say he avoided tough fights in the past. JLC and Diego were bigger threats to him then anyone he's going to sign a contract with now.That's why I laugh when I read the Manny stuff. People don't realize how bad Floyd would kick his ass. It's nothing against Manny but it is what it is. He doesn't know he could get a decision againt PWill. He's a better fighter but that doesn't always equate to a win.

Paul is what you see. He was actually trying to get better tonight. He didn't just go all out toe to toe like he normally does but that's not what the crowd wanted to see. He will always have bad foot work and get hit a lot. He does have the best chin I've seen since Hagler though.

Dibella said no to the rematch. I want to see it too but I understand their perspective. Sergio is 36 and is just now getting paid. If he loses a rematch to Paul it will take away from his drawing power. He can get paid for two to three more fights and then fight the rematch. I can't be mad at that. He deserves the money

17. VanityHalfBlack

That is exactly what people were saying when Machida and Shogun were going to fight in the rematch.. People say Machida will dominate and beat up on Shogun and well we all know what happen right???

18. bladeage

I don't. I don't watch MMA, and I don't know who either of those people are.

19. King1

I heard both sides actually. The old school MMA fans (Pride) seemed to favor Shogun while the TUF era guys favored Machida. People forget that the Shogun who looked underwhelming in the UFC at first was coming off major knee surgery. Your comparison isn't really valid.

Floyd would anniliate Manny in a Gatti like beating. That's not a knock on Manny either. Pacquiao is a first ballot hall of famer and one of the best fighters of this era.

20. VanityHalfBlack

Dude how u gonna give him props and then say something like him getting annihilated like Gatti?? If you gonna give him props give him the props, don't trash the guy at the same time...