1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[haynes] Ariza might join warriors at discount

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 7, 2018.

1. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He’s important but we also can’t rely on him for 40+ minutes

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Moving to the Bay Area just to cover your bandwagon jump to GS is dedication.

You have to admire the commitment if anything.

DonKnock, el gnomo and J.R. like this.
  3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

4. Asian Sensation

But he just built a mansion in Houston.

A brick mansion.

AB423 likes this.
  5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

That's the absolute worst bandwagon excuse I've ever heard. X_____X

DonKnock and mulletman like this.
  6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You just got your ass lawyered. X_____X

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Because I don't think he's asking the rockets just for more money, what he's asking for is a loyalty bonus. He wants to know he's valued, otherwise if the rockets are just going to pay him what everyone else would he can just go to the best situation for him.

justtxyank likes this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think this is it.

He’s also said he prefers movement offense.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see him leave if money is the same

Sean Dr34ms likes this.
  9. Pizza_Da_Hut

I really think Iggy would have left if the warriors just matched Houston. They slammed the offer up big time. That deal, while great for Iggy might end up costing them Klay Thompson. GSW was willing to risk it though, to reward loyalty.

10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

That's the absolute worst lawyering I've ever heard. Do they even allow that weak sauce in The People's Court? X_____X

11. KlutchQT

Well yes... loyalty bonus in the form of more $$. We're saying the same thing here -- if the Rockets aren't willing to pony up more than the Warriors can and he feels it's a better basketball fit, he'll walk. I'm just not seeing how that's surprising or breaking news. If I'm Trevor, it's common sense.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

That's true. I guess maybe because his contract (especially when you juxtapose it to the one Parsons got that same summer) was so good for the rockets, maybe some thought he would be as good this time around too? I'm not sure.

KlutchQT likes this.
  13. KlutchQT

Maybe so. It's a huge blow if he goes, but I'm mentally preparing myself for it... I always assume guys will do what's in their personal best interest, at the end of the day. I think the only scenario that would really break me is if he pulled a Josh Smith and went somewhere else for less than we offered.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  14. mockster

mockster Member

Ariza is so unrealistic, infact all these players are, it’s like they don’t even realize that by demanding such high pay it hurts them from gaining more players, then get upset when they don’t have more players.

Harden for example he could of taken a discount easily if he really wanted to but instead he’s the highest paid Nba player

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've thought the last few seasons that if Ariza played fewer minutes, he'd be more effective. 20-25 mpg. In the GS series, he played 42 minutes in game 5 and 39 minutes in games 6 & 7. I think it caught up with him at the end of a long Western Conference run. $8-10 million for 3 years is fair value, in my opinion, but I don't know if we can afford that. My hope is that Morey is able to keep him, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. We'll see.

KlutchQT likes this.
  16. KlutchQT

He's worlds better when rested -- I think chances are good that he wouldn't have sputtered out the way he did if Luc had been available to alleviate some of the burden. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they could technically give him whatever they want since they have his Bird rights. That said, he's on the wrong side of 30 and I have a hard time seeing Morey giving him a contract that will ultimately become immovable.

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's hard to gauge how much left Ariza has in the tank. He really has played a ton of minutes the last few years and he's definitely has lost a step out there. I want Ariza back, not at an unreasonable price, although losing him for nothing would be devastating as well. Tough place to be.

18. zcarenow

zcarenow Member