1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks shopping Paul Millsap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 2, 2016.

1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

who we talking about here paul millsap the stretch 4 in th enba or is there another one who's just a banger in the paint?

"his 3pt shooting is terrible this season" thats cuz his team sucks. he'll get tons of open looks here

yall trippin. ryan's gonna get feasted in the playoffs, and his shot isnt consistent enough to make up for it.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Why are you guys so quick to dump Anderson?

3. Lightsnowaction

Because if we want to be a true contender or take the next step as a team, we need a star or superstar and preferably at the 4 or even 3 spot.

Plus, we can do something special this season.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Because Rockets fans are so used to feeling inferior that they ignore our superior roster.

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

so in the playoffs, u guys think the team defense and team rebounding will make up for ryan's deficiencies on those two, and that his presence alone, meaning his quick trigger and extra spacing, is worth it to pass up on a trade for millsap straight up? even though millsap's will shoot better here?

6. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

No way I'd give up Ryno. If we can get him just with Brewer, a couple of the youngins and a pick, sure.

Millsap provides offensive and defensive versatility and some grit. I feel like the situation in ATL has sapped him of his drive. I think he would be rejuvenated here. And EGO and RYNO would be lethal off the bench.

7. valorita

valorita Member

milsap >> ryno in a vacuum
    But
    Ryno >= milsap in our system

Pass

Upgrade at center would be the best move imo

RudyTBag, hakeem94, DonKnock and 3 others like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A complication is Millsap's contract situation. That should knock down what they can get for him quite a bit.

Deuce, craguin and mikol13 like this.
  9. Eric00009

Eric00009 Member

And so u think milsap is a star no thank u

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Right now, Millsap is not a star and he is barely better than Anderson. It is seriously not fair to say we are a true contender with Millsap and we're not with Anderson. IMO we have a slightly higher ceiling with Millsap, but there is no guarantee it works. Millsap is a 5 on our team, no way he is a 4.

You MUST take into account that replacing Millsap with Anderson could legitimately reduce Harden and our other shooters' productivity. Is the upgrade worth taking that legit risk? Is Millsap/Capela better than Anderson/Capela? I feel like Anderson is the better compliment though Millsap the better player.

Remember, we are 3rd in the West right now. We should not be here, there is something intangible about this team that is performing wildly above expectations. While it kills to think we could acquire a rock solid piece like Millsap, this might just be sucky timing.

The team is playing the way Les wants. MDA is flourishing thanks in large part to Anderson. Morey is not in a position to take a huge risk, if we perform worse after the trade than before he is gone.

11. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

That's not going to happen, No way morey gives up a pick and all the mentioned players you mentioned for a rental. Basically you'er gutting the roster and starting over after the success we have this season.

craguin likes this.
  12. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

he is a good defender, but not a true rim protector. i would rather have noel and it will cost less.

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

You guys who are so quick to trade 4 rotation guys for one player do realize that our team is so good because we have 8-9 quality players who fit the system and who have good chemistry.

That would be a total disaster to just blow the team up for one guy who can't and won't make the team better without the guys you traded for him.

seeingred, hakeem94 and OtisHerrera like this.
  14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I think this works in our favor. Hawks will get two types of offers:

1) From teams that can not guarantee he resigns. These teams will offer what they consider the equivalent of half a season of Millsap.

2) From teams that, after being given permission to speak to Millsap, will have confidence that he will re-sign. These teams will be willing to offer more than the first set of offers, but can still leverage the fact that Atlanta won't want to accept the half season offers or let Millsap walk for nothing. That's the only reason something like Dekker and our pick might work - I doubt anyone is going to blow them away with offers, and the Hawks would be happy to get two decent young pieces for him.

What I don't understand is if they're giving up on this season or do they want to continue to compete.

15. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

The best situation for the rockets is to get Noel Nerlens. KJ and 2nd round pick for Noel please.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

IMO he will end up either in Toronto or Boston. And his value will be relatively low. One mid first and a prospect.

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You're right if it's a rental. If Millsap doesn't explicitly tell them he will re-sign (nothing os guaranteed of course) then there is no chance we even think about acquiring him for what he'd cost. If you look at my previous post, we would fall into group 1 and I don't think the Hawks will pull the trigger on those offers.

arabrocket likes this.
  18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I agree. A Millsap's would gut and destroy what the Rockets have. Somebody like Nerlens or better yet Mason Plumlee would certainly fit the bill on what the Rockets need in the post.

#198 Liberon, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm here waiting for those 3 way trade proposals on CF where we give up almost nothing but end up with the best player in the trade.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Noel's trade value has fallen but not THAT much.