1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you seen the new monkey in town?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rusHour, Apr 23, 2012.

1. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

Hey guys. Check out jmonkeydesigns.com

This is my own graphic design company I started a couple months back because, really, I had no other choice. This is what I love doing and what I have been doing for a long time so it just makes since. I guess it is my time to shine after years of being in the background.

I have hopes to get a ton of support from the Clutchfan family and if someone needs any graphic work created, I'm your guy. I have done it all... web designs, logos, flyers, business cards, advertising, postcards, invitations, announcements, and a bunch more. You can check out some of the work on the portfolio. Let me know what you may need and we can collaborate together on some ideas whether it be to re-brand your business or need a personalized invitation or gift.

A BRIEF LOOK BACK:
    A couple months back, the company I was working for crumbled. It was unfortunate but it is what it is. I did leave the comfort and security of a job with a well respected magazine here in Houston to take a chance with a start up media firm but I never would of expected where I would be today...
    That media firm closed shop because of a few reasons that were out of my control and that I wont dive into here. I am thankful for the 9 months I spent there because I learned a lot from the people around me and it put me in a reasonable spot to succeed today. Sometimes you have to just roll with the punches and see where the path of life takes you.​

So this is where I shutup and just show a few of the things I have done. :grin:

Logo Design
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Personalized Gag Gifts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Flyers & Business Cards
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remember, I can do anything you need. You have ideas and I can bring those ideas to life. If my cost is too high for your budget feel free to send me an email and we can talk it through. Of course, Ill be giving a DISCOUNT to any Clutchfan member and will even DONATE to the clutchfan tip jar.

Also, don't forget to check out RedRedemption. I am sure every one has seen his work on the wallpapers he has created so you see how talented he is as well. He recently made a thread here - bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=218438 that allows for requests to be made. All he is asking for is the opportunity to build his portfolio.

So, if you need creative services, dont look anywhere else... Lets just keep it in the Clutchfan family. :cool:

2 people like this.
  2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Don't need anything but good luck. Have you tried to get some work through that 99designs.com site?

3. Yonkers

After looking at your website, I have a couple of comments.
    Your About Us section states "We want to make sure it’s less about us and more about the clients and the direction their companies are heading. " That should pretty much go without saying. I'm not sure if you need to say it should be less about you.
    Also, your banner above has a quote from the Bible. Unless that's your target demographics that might be offputting to some.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dei

Dei Member

[​IMG]

But you're really good.

1 person likes this.
  5. rusHour

Appreciate the ideas and they are always welcome. I love to get feedback such as this just to get insight of what others around the country are thinking. Good stuff and repped.

My target audience is anyone and everyone... not just regulated to faith driven individuals like myself. If someone is put off by the "quote" at the top then that is honestly OK. They may not be a client that is right for me anyways.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I agree with the earlier post, I find it really irritating when a business identifies themselves with a certain religion or political party.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Pretty lame to be put off from that.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Gotta agree with the part about the religious quote, could turn off people that aren't into that kind of stuff. You should leave religion or politics out of your business unless that is the target group.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LOL at all of the criticism/suggestions. Personally, I think it's cool that he chose to include the quote, but at the same time I wouldn't be inclined to contact a freelancer who had a quote like that in their header.

I'm not exactly proud to say that but its definitely true in my case. I'd be offering a project with a corporate company, you typically don't mix religion and the office and I wouldn't make an exception for a contractor.

10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I would instantly go to another site. There is a time where religion is appropriate and when it is not. I don't believe that during a sales cycle is the right time.

11. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Agreed :grin:

12. Yonkers

Of course only you can determine the right client for you. But if you're just starting out, I would think the right client is someone who is fair in dealing with you and who can pay. Someone who in the past has had overzealous religions pushed uncomfortably in their face might be put off by that religious quote. But they could have made good clients for you otherwise.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

I don't find the quote a big deal, but religion doesn't bother me. I care more about the quality of the project, and you do a great job! I'm going to make sure and bookmark the site if I need anything done in the future.

14. rusHour

Thanks again guys. I'm having trouble understanding the logic behind not using someone because of 1 scripture on a website. 1 scripture shouldn't make or break a relationship, much less a business relationship. The relationship should be built on how I treat you as a client or customer and the work I can provide that you need. If I was in need of a graphic artist, it wouldn't make a difference to me one way or another and the same applies before I was built up on faith. I would want to see a portfolio before I made any decision or judgement on any graphic artist. I would want to see previously created amazing work. But thats just me.

I dont want to turn this into a "religious" argument but Im actually surprised by the responses but they are all noted. I came here for support of my fellow clutchfans members and Im getting it. We are all able to express our opinions and believe me I have no hard feelings. I actually appreciate the expressions and thoughts. I know yall are just looking out. Im actually torn on the whole thing but for now Im going to stand by what I have.

If someone dosnt want to use me because of it, then it is truly unfortunate because I love to bring ideas together and create... fulfilling the needs by companies and individuals alike.

Thanks guys! I hope to hear from all of yall and I am able to create something for you sometime in the near future. :grin:

15. rusHour

Appreciate it! :cool:

16. rusHour

Hey if anything else, Im getting people talking about my company and that, in my any line of business, is a big deal. lol :grin:

Maybe Ill be creating a new thread with a poll on it if this continues. :p

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Glad you took the suggestions in stride and didn't get all bent out of shape. Looks like you do good work so I hope it works out!

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think your website is too simple for a graphic design company. It looks too clean and corporate, almost blog-like.

The webdesigns you do is on another level. It's clear you take input and direction from your clients and run with it. It works for the most part. So my advice is to treat your site like your own client, and ask yourself what direction you want from it.

What's the first impression you want to achieve from your visitors?

I also agree that including scripture is distracting. I would rather see five of your volunteer/discounted works for religious orgs than a direct reference of God on the top banner. That's more than a reference to the Big Guy and it isn't too direct with your visitors. If they're looking for it, then they'll like it. If not, then it's "just another customer".

You want to stand out for your work, rather than standing out from your ideals that ostensibly doesn't appear in your work. That's not discrediting the role God plays in your life and work, but there's more than one way to achieve that without forcing a non-business decision on your potential customers.

1 person likes this.
  19. rusHour

The best advice yet. I appreciate it.

This website is supposed to be temporary and I honestly took a template with very little customization thinking I could re-do it as soon as I got a minute. I would rather have something up for people to look at than nothing at all. "A company without a website is like a house without a door."

Of course temporary could last longer than expected sometimes...

Im actually going to consider your ideas and go with the middle ground approach. Making this thread was a good gauge on what people think and what they are turned on and off by... so it has definitely been worth it. Actually, now, Im more inclined to rush out a new design on the website, like originally planned, instead of redesigning a banner.

Thanks for your thoughts!

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

My band needs a logo that is extremely non corporate, something really offensive like pigs eating a cross or something. If you can take me there, I will recommend you to my vast influence of art rock friends who also need edgy album covers.