1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you ever cried...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Band Geek Mobster, Jul 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Band Geek Mobster

during a movie?

If so, what movie, when in the movie, and if you feel like saying so, why?

I've cried only twice while watching a movie.

The first time happened back when I was around 5 or 6. I was watching Transformers: The Movie. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that grew up watching the Transformers. Optimus Prime was my hero, that dude was the coolest, no one ever died during these cartoons so I figured this movie would just be like the regular cartoon. Boy was I wrong, within the first 10 minutes of the movie they killed off FOUR MAIN CHARACTERS FROM THE SERIES! I couldn't believe what I just saw! None of them were Optimus Prime, but still it sucked to see those 4 kickass robots get wasted in the beginning of the movie! Okay fast forward to around 30 minutes into it, and then the most horrible thing happened, Optimus Prime DIED! Oh man, talk about trauma, I loved the Transformers back when I was 5-6, I still do, and just like that, my hero was taken out! I couldn't help but cry, I couldn't take 5 kickass Transformers dying like that! At least in the next season, after the movie, they managed to revive Prime, I'm not sure how they did it, but he lives in the end, but those 4 Transformers that died in the beginning were never brought back, I still can't get over that...

The sad thing is now that I'm older, I realize they probably killed off those transformers so Hasbro could bring in a new set of transformers that would be in demand by kids like me. I guess it was the first time I was exploited as well...

I then went over 10 years without crying during a movie, until a couple years ago when I first saw American History X. I know some people here think the movie was fairly predictable and boring, but I kind of felt a connection to Danny (the little bro), don't ask me why I felt the connection, I just did. Plus Ed Norton is my all-time favorite actor, and when I saw that ending it made me cry. I don't really know why, I think I went a pretty long time without sleep when I sat down to watch the movie, so maybe my emotions were slightly on edge to begin with?

Anyway the whole reason for me starting this topic was b/c I just recently viewed Transformer: The Movie again and I still can't believe that crap went down, so I felt like asking my fellow cc.netters about their moments of vulnerability while watching a movie.

I just hope Kim doesn't tell me that me caring about fake cartoon robots and not cows is the reason the world sucks today...

So what movies made you guys break down?

------------------
    President of the CC.net Realist Club, everyone needs a dose of reality once in a while...

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

hehehe [​IMG]

Feelings aren't good or bad, they're just there. That's what a friend of mine who's a psychiatrist told me. Something to ponder.

I've cried when I saw Saving Private Ryan. It was that scene where the translator guy didn't have the guts to come rescue his fellow soldier up those stairs, that Jewish guy. So many conflicting emotions...I tried to feel bad for the translator wimp, but was so angry and sad at the same time at what was happening. I was like hitting the wall in my room and throwing furniture around...yeah, it was pretty emotional. It was weird cause that wasn't the first time I saw the movie. I guess cause I was alone just chillin that time so I really got engulfed in it, like really into it.

I remember crying one other time when I was a kid, I guess 6 or 7 years old. I don't remember the title of the movie, or even the whole plot. I think the gist of it was that this kid's parents got divorced and I was real sad and started crying in the end where he was saying bye to his dad. I think his dad was leaving or something. I can't even remember the details for sure...I was just real sad and probably was scared about going through the same thing or something.

So that makes 2 times total. I don't like crying movies that much.

And the world does suck because of cartoon caring freaks like you. [​IMG] just kidding.

------------------

3. red

red Contributing Member

i cry lots...did you guys ever see half baked...when he throws his last joint into the river...oh man i was gushing tears. i also cries watching from dusk till dawn. when that pudgy oriental kid gets bit. good times...good times...

------------------
    i just wasted a couple seconds of your life while u read my post...this one is a bonus...

4. Timing

Timing Member

Damn I've cried way more than twice that's for sure. Probably the worst fit of crying I've had was this TV movie called Bill with Mickey Rooney. I was just a kid when it came out, probably about 9 or 10 and it had me bawling for probably a good 2 hours after the movie. LOL It's a movie about a r****ded older guy who's kind of stumbling through life trying to make it on the outside world. A real tear jerker for me. They came out with a sequel a few years later but I handled that one much better! [​IMG]

------------------
    First the Sopranos and now Eddie Griffin... thank you New Jersey!

5. New Kid On The Block

I cried during Cast Away when he lost the volleyball. However, they kind of over-did it when they dedicated a whole freakin scene to him just laying there crying.

------------------

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Classic Line from Dusk til Dawn:

George Clooney to the girl after she's crying because her father and brother (chubby asian kid) turned to vampires (saying this amist hundreds of vampires and bats trying to bite them):

"fight now, mourn later"

------------------

7. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I cried when Simba's dad from the Lion King died. It was so sad. [​IMG]

------------------
    Homer Simpson: "I'm gonna tell you 3 things that will haunt you for the rest of your life! You've ruined your father, crippled your family, and baldness is hereditary!"

8. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

When Alex Haleys' Roots came out in 1977, I remember crying in bed after the episode Kunta Kinte got whipped for running away! At 11 yrs old, I never knew that kind of stuff happened! I prayed to God to forgive mankind that night [​IMG]

------------------
    This space left intentionally blank...

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, that was pretty strong. Another one that made me umm... ahem... get choked up was when my boy Gandhi was gettin' his butt whupped by the British. Heck, even the Ten Commandments made me umm... ahem... get choked up.

... notice I never said I cried. So don't start rumors. Grrr.

------------------
    "I'll tell you this, the older I get, the less I trust people. It's true. It's damn true." -- gr8-1 going through some growing pains.

10. hitman21

hitman21 Member

Well, I cried after Bambi's Mom died, but who didn't?

------------------
    the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

11. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I cried during "Forrest Gump" when he visits Jenny's grave.

I also cried during "Fargo" because it sucked so bad.

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

12. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Phenomenon. [​IMG]

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

13. BahDakota

BahDakota Member

Schindlers list, and Saving Private Ryan...especially at the end when the old guy asks his wife to tell him that he has been a good man....

Gut Wrenching.

Oh, and of course Brian's song.

------------------
    How long do I have to endure this ?

14. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, Timing...I remember crying at that, too...although I never would have remembered had you not brought it up.

I cry all of the time...joy, sorrow...whatever.

Private Ryan was too fake and crappy to make me cry.

Gandhi is an interesting choice, Dr....

Speaking of...I cried when I saw Sexy Beast (not really) because Ben Kingsley plays the meanest, toughest, craziest, sickest motherf***er in the history of film!

Whimper...

------------------
    Squatting on old bones and excrement and rusty iron, in a white blaze of heat, a panorama of naked idiots stretches to the horizon. Complete silence-their speech centers are destroyed-except for the crackle of sparks and the popping of singed flesh as they apply electrodes up and down the spine. White smoke of burning flesh hangs in the motionless air. A group of children have tied an idiot to a post with barbed wire and built a fire between his legs and stand watching with bestial curiosity as the flames lick his thighs. His flesh jerks in the fire with insect agony.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I suppose I'm a sissy. I'm likely to cry in a movie if there's anything particularly moving.

My Life -- particularly the scene where he's telling his sleeping newborn son how glad he is that he lived past his expected death day and had the chance to meet him. tears me apart. any movie that reminds you that the most important things..the things you need to treasure everyday..are the relationships in your life, usually knock me over the edge.

Field of Dreams -- when he's playing catch with his dad at the end

Schindler's List -- when he's talking about how much more he could have done...how many more he could have saved.

------------------

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Clutch City and Double Clutch make me all teary eyed [​IMG]

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Both times I watched E.T. die.

Forest Gump got me real close, but that's it.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Phenomenon - when Travolta dies.
    Saving Private Ryan
    Ghost - I am so ashamed about this one.
    Glory - At the end, when the white troops, led by the guy who got in a fight with Denzel, yelled "Give'em hell, 63 brigade !!!" as they went into battle.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

19. IVFL

IVFL Member

the first time I ever cried in a movie theater was during "the dead poets society" in the end when that whiney kid gets up and says oh captin my captin.

Also in rudy I get moist when he gets on the feild and makes that last. . . tack. . . le. ohhhh my thats powerful stuff.

Also awakenings with robert deniro. when he is turning back to his old self in the end and he dances with that girl, stops shaking. its pretty sad too

------------------

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Tuskeegee Airmen . . . was a deep movie
    I think the FIVE HEARTBEATS when Eddie Cane
    was redeemed in the church was a powerful
    moment

Roots hurt too . . . .

Movie that make me sympathize are more
    of those with intense frustration than
    with intense sorrow

rocket River