1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Haslem opts out

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dlite316, Jun 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. dlite316

dlite316 Member

2. dlite316

dlite316 Member

Sorry, just saw JR already posted this in another thread.

3. what

what Member

Time to investigate the miami heat. There is no way that haslem would opt out of a deal like that without getting some kind of backdoor deal.

4. jvu

jvu Member

Haslem was a key play maker in both championship wins.. Not playing him was a mistake this year and giving Rashard Lewis minutes was a mistake

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not so much a mistake playing Rashard
    but Spo rode him too long . . . Rashard should be used in spurts

Rocket River

6. mario_v

mario_v Member

Riley takes care of his players, long after retirement. Alonzo mourning, Juwon Howard, hardaway all have a place in the heat organization.

It's not surprising that haslem opted out, the guy is born and raised in Miami and is loyal to the team.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This is against the CBA? I thought you could negotiate with a player that you have under contract already?

8. chandlerbang21

who cares, lebron isnt leaving miami anyways. To may people with hope for something that wont happen.

9. Major

Major Member

You can negotiate extensions. I believve you can't negotiate to rip up active deals and replace them. I'm not sure how negotiating during an option period fits in.

10. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Who cares? Let LeBron stay there. I would rather beat him. Anyone with sense knew he wasn't leaving the soft East.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

OL . . they sounds like a Cartel

Rocket River
    Miami Basketball Mafia

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I absolutely agree. This is just extremely fishy and should be blown up by the NBA. It's obvious. NBA should disallow anyone who opted out from their Miami Heat deal this season from re-signing with the team for "basketball reasons".

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They SHOULD absolutely NAIL Miami...but they won't...what B.S.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its obvious lebron and the superfriends convinced everyone to take less money so they can bring in lowry.

melo won't take that much of a pay cut... i guess he goes to the bulls... not a whole lot of signs of him coming here :/

i'm not even sure we can beat the celtics offer for love... and if love goes there they wont trade rondo.

i think we will have to use our MLE wisely. hopefully we get someone like sefalosha or frye with the MLE, and maybe kaman or hinrich with the BAE

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

The projected tax threshold is $77M. Riley would have wanted Haslem to opt in to use his expiring contract as an expiring asset for a potential S&T for Lowry.

16. aumate

aumate Member

Was never going to be an option. He will or would never be traded.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not really sure what the problem here is, if they want to do a backroom deal then let them. People play for less money all the time, TD and Parker could've gotten the max elsewhere but chose to remain in San Antonio, is that tampering?

18. what

what Member

I'm not convinced they are going to resign haslem and that was the basis of my complaint. If they let him walk from a 4 million dollar deal I'm not sure WHAT they could give him that WOULDN'T look fishy.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Barkley took a minimum contract for a yr so we could sign #33. Then we gave Barkley a max contract after that

The NBA didn't stop that.

I think there is leniency when the player stays with his same team. The player is taking a huge risk against injury taking less money like that. I don't consider this tampering, since the NBA allowed Barkley and the Rockets to do it to sign #33

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Barkley didn't get a max contract. He got like 8 mil I think. That's why he hates the Rockets now.