1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has PPat earned his starting spot back?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Jan 10, 2013.

?

Has PPat earned his starting spot back?

1. Yes. He's playing better than Morris.

61 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. No. We're fine with PPat coming off the bench.

59 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. I really don't care, they both suck. A trade can't come soon enough.

34 vote(s)
    22.1%
  1. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

File this one under knee-jerk.

But last night our starting PF, Marcus Morris, grabbed a sad 1 rebound, while PPat grabbed 10. Is Patterson making a case to get his starting job back? Since his return, he does look more motivated to me while Marcus has kind of disappeared. Maybe the pressure of losing his starter spot is getting to him after Patrick made it be known he wants it back.
    What do you guys think?

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Yes.

Morris is poo poo

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I don't want him to start. I like him much better on the bench.

4. AbrahamLincoln

He should never have been considered as being anything other than our starting 4 on this roster. I know people get excited about young talent but he is the most developed 4 on the roster. Morris still has a ways to go. This is his first year actually playing with the Rockets. I imagine he will show a ton of improvement throughout the remainder of this season and be alot better next season.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

1 rebound is pretty bad, but I would guess having more minutes next to Asik makes rebounds tougher to come by.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

At least he rebounds better than Morris and that's not by much.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

No, Daryl likes him off the bench.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They've been winning with him off the bench. Why change things now?

9. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

I like him off the bench. He's a good presence even if its not a major one when Asik's taking a breather

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He plays much harder off the bench,.

18 and 10 per 36 on 59% shooting since his return. He attacks the boards and even goes down low a little.

He simply played too soft as a starter, we do need to upgrade over Morris, but Pat is a bench player.

11. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

^This, my thoughts exactly

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It doesn't matter what he's earned; he should play where the coach needs him.

13. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

I fear that Patrick will be pissed if coming off the bench. But, oh well, he's probably gonna be traded anyway.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think there is a health issue holding down Pat's minutes. Morey mentioned it this morning during his radio interview and there was something written about it at the Chron, too, I think.

Specifically, the foot pain that caused him to miss some games earlier appear to be a reaction to stress and use during the season, there is talk that he may need surgery to insert some screws on foot or ankle in the offseason (and I think they were contemplating such surgery earlier, but 2nd opinion said they would try rest first).

The bench role may be a way to more selectively use Pat's skills as both the 4 and 5 positions against the right matchups.

15. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I think his niche is that of a 6th man. Not a starter (where he is capable), nor a bench player (where you use him when a starter needs a rest), but a high minute player that doesn't start.

16. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Last night vs. New Orleans...

Patrick Patterson 6'9" (backup)
    10 rebounds, 1 block

Marcus Morris 6'8" (starter)
    1 rebound, 0 block

17. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

neither one is a starting caliber pf
    Patterson shoots long 2's and 3's and is rarely around the basket for a rebound- yesterday was a rare showing.

At best, Greg Smith should be starting at pf if not for the fact, that no one else named Harden on the starting lineup can constantly create their own shots and that he is the back up C

18. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Morris is more of an instant offense guy who'd be ideal coming off the bench. He won't do anything else, but score a few points.

Patterson has a size edge and is more of a natural PF. He just needed to focus on rebounding more and it looks like he's doing that now. He should start.

19. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Honestly, yes.

Do I want him there for the long term, no sir. Even though his numbers have improved, the soft style of play he has still makes him a liability at times.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Coaching staff don't want to necessarily have two guys (Asik and PF) clogging up the paint most of the time.... so it will be hard for the PF that is spacing the floor to come up with more rebounds