1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Bagwell lost it?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JBIIRockets, Jul 2, 2004.

1. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

end of what story? You don't know where he'll end up next year

2. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I believe this quote says it all, and is 100% correct, unfortunately. If this could happen it would be great and you woudl think he was the type of person who would/could do this for a franchise to help them now and in the future. But once again I believe nothing is going to change with his contract and we will lose Beltran even though we'll offer him a contract. I'll repeat the key part of the quote...
    Pugs

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Technically, he can, by deferring money (i.e., spread out the last $30 mil over 10 years instead of 2).

However, it can't be in a way where the value of the contract is less. MLBPA will not allow that.

#23 codell, Jul 5, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  4. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Bagwell did this exact same thing last year. There was a period when he went like a month, IIRC, without a HR or RBI, one or the other. He sucked in the middle of last season and he's doing it again, but I think he'll be able to go on a tear like last year. He did end up with 39/100, remember.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

He was likely gone for the season anyway, with the hand injury. But yea, Bags isn't the same. He's still a solid player, but he's not playing at the Hall-of-Fame level he once did.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he is done, he will have flashes, but it is time to move him to the bottom of the lineup.

He just does not have it anymore....

DD

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bagwell used to have it. But then they changed what it was. Now, what Bagwell has, isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to him. It will happen to Biggio.

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

He is already batting 6th. Do you really think Ausmus and Everett should bat ahead of him?

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Ausmus shouldn't even be in the lineup anymore.

10. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Ausmus stats are right on par with what he's done the last 4 years. It's easier to point the finger at him when the rest of the lineup has sucked it up for 6 or 7 weeks. He's the #8 hitter, he's not expected to do anything

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He just got intentional walked. Maybe that will fire him up! :)

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I feel for the guy. He's got the fire, but needs to be rewired. That 'achilles shoulder' pains me as a fan and as a fellow biped.

Bags should probably, at least apparently, hang 'em up at season's end. I'll be sorry to see him go -- sorry to watch him suffer now.

13. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Bagwell's grounding-out-to-shortstop-average has to be around .700.

He either does that or strikes out.

#33 JBIIRockets, Jul 5, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  14. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

What is Bagwells total K's for the season? Seems he is trying to hit a Hr everytime he is at bat. Still can't believe he is due 40 ml over the next three years.

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He's not intimidating anyone right now, and no one is affraid of him. And if the Astros are going to have any chance at getting to the post-season, Jeff Bagwell must show up now, or the 'Stros could be in big trouble.

I think he just needs to settle in a little bit more, and let the pitches come to him, instead of going after everything with bad intensions.

16. ILoveClutchCity

Biggio has more HRs than Bagwell. That is the only stat I need to see to convince me Bags is done. Can anyone tell me the last season that at the break Biggs had more jacks than Bags?

17. Khopesh

Khopesh Member

The point is he can't wait for the pitch because his swing takes so long. That and he jerks his head away from the ball on the tail end.