1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Bagwell lost it?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JBIIRockets, Jul 2, 2004.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Because he has been awful for a loooong time now.

Hit .245 in June.

In 6 games at Wrigley Field, he's batting .160. If he continues to do that against a team ahead of us in the division, the Astros won't make the playoffs.

I think Bagwell is the biggest reason the Astros have had this suddenly disappointing offensive season, and no one seems to make much mention of his declining skills (Maybe I missed something though). He's not good on defense anymore with his shoulder. And his leadership skills pretty much stink. He is just too nice a guy. He does his business and that is it.

And as a team in the first 17 games of June, the Astros NEVER scored more than 5 runs in a game. That's uncalled for.

2. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Yes, he has.

With his shoulder problem hurting him everday, the game is not fun for him. That's why he shows no enthusiam, IMO.

I wish he would retire after the season. That 17 million would sure allow us to resign Beltran, who has looked mighty good as an Astro.:)

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im hoping he can turn it around. He does this every single year. I know this because he has always been on my fantasy team. I go through a frustrating 5-6 week stretch wtih him. His stroke will come back, and with that, the offense will start to score some runs.

4. spence99

spence99 Member

I disagree that Bagwell does this every year. The last few years he has, but he never did during his prime. And in the last few years, the slumps have gotten longer and worse. He never has struck out as much as he has this year. If his shoulder is hurting as much as everyone talks about, then he should retire after this year.

5. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Pre allstar break 2003

.271 average, 17 home runs, 47 RBI's

April 2003 - .314 average, 10 home runs, 19 RBI's

May 2003 - .257 average, 1 home run, 6 RBI's

June 2003 - .255 average, 3 home runs, 13 RBI's

Pre allstar break 2004

.275 average, 11 home runs, 38 RBI's

April 2004 - .316 average, 5 home runs, 17 RBI's

May 2004 - .272 average, 3 home runs, 13 RBI's

June 2004 - .245 average, 3 home runs, 8 RBI's

the numbers aren't much different so hopefully he busts out of his slump in July

July 2003 - .287 average, 10 homeruns, 25 RBI's

6. rezdawg

Bags was carrying a .260 average at this time, 2 years ago. At this time last year, he had a .272 average, and reached a low of .265 on July 9th. He is currently batting .275.

About his strikeout numbers, he had 70 strikeouts at this point 2 years ago, 65 strikeouts at this point last year. He has 71 right now.

He is right on par with the rest of his career.

7. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

3 years and 40 million left on contract. Would be nice if he retired and the Astros were able to sign Beltran to a long term contract.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

:( this makes me sad to see one of my favorite players growing up simply deteriorating out there. i understand that pain he is going thru with his shoulder. its too bad because he was a lock for the hall of fame and now that is in question because of his shoulder injury which is ending his career.

i almost wish bagwell wasnt such a hard worker and a gamer and that he would just hang it up. his arm is going to be completely wrecked after he retires.:(

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

On the flip side of that, he seems like he has too much pride to go out like Mays or someone else similar. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he retires after this year unless he makes a huge turnaround.

Looked decent last night!

10. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I hear resting his shoulders does him no good.

Because I would have advocated for us to temporarily move Berkman to first and Lane to left while Baggy rests and recoups his ailling shoulder.

Heck Jimmy should consider this line up twice a week at least weather Baggy likes it or not.

11. rezdawg

Bags will be back...like I said, its been a trend throughout his career. Now, he probably wont be bouncing back with the tears that we are accustomed to, but he will bounce back and be a solid producer. No worries.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Actually, there are worries. If Bagwell returns, there's no way we'll be keeping Beltran, most likely. I'd love for Bags to go on a tear this year, we win it all, then him hang it up.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Can Bagwell restructure his contract so the Astros can resign Beltran? If that is not possible, he needs to hang it up for the future of the franchise. Odds are he won't restructure it, he will come back, the Astros will lose Beltran, and life without winning a playoff series will continue in Houston.

14. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

unfortunately no

15. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Chapter 13. The Secret is Acceptance

After recognizing your feelings, which takes acceptance, you are faced with only two options:

If you reject the feelings you've recognized, then you automatically default back to the Starting Point.

If you confirm your acceptance of the feelings you've recognized, then you continue on to the Expression Step.:mad:

16. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

We'll see what happens.. I don't see bagwell as someone who will keep playing just to get a check...

but if I had 3 years and 40 mil left.. it'd be really hard to retire..

I agree it'd be nice to have that money to use to resign beltran.. as much as I love bagwell and biggio

17. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

didn't mean to add biggio in that last post.. I was referring to long time astros i'll hate to see retire.. biggio has played well this year..

18. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I'm not a big Biggio guy either, but he has done pretty well at the plate this year.

Bagwell has been frustrating me this year because he is such an unreliable timely hitter now. When the Astros were down 6-1 to the Rangers on Saturday, Bagwell did his best to kill the rally by grounding to short. Fortunately, Young booted the ball. In the first inning of the same game, Bags killed a rally with a double play groundout. He's been doing this all season.

It's a shame to say this, but if an opposing pitcher needs to get out of a jam and Bags is at the plate, Bagwell is the guy who usually comes through for that pitcher.

I miss the 1994 Bagwell, who owned every pitcher in the game. Damn strike. he had 116 steaks at that point.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It would be a good start if he would call it quits because from what I've seen of him this year he is done. He's looked terrible for the past 3 years now and while his BA is respectible, he has become a complete nonfactor in games. That would allow them to use his $17 million to resign Beltran who looks better than any of their so-called hitters.

Oh and while you are at it, get rid of Hooten & Spillman when you yank the rug under Williams. All three deserve to be looking for a real job. Their hitters are absolutely pathetic and their pitchers don't look much better. How bad are the Astros? They just got whacked by a team with only 2 legit starters but the Astros managed to make them look like Cy Young pitchers. After a season in the toilet like this one no one's job in the organization should be considered safe - even Hunsicker's.

And does anyone remember exactly WHY Larry Deirker was let go? Something about couldn't win a playoff game if I recall. Well how about MAKING the F ing playoffs Jimy?

20. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Everyone keeps talking about resigning Beltran, but has the fact occurred to you that Beltran might not stay here either way, regardless of how much we offer him?

Beltran's family is in New York. He wants to be a Yankee. End of story.

After this year, we, above all, should understand the pull of family and how it affects where a player wishes to go.

So don't write off Bagwell just yet in the hopes that you'll keep Beltran. If you do that, you might end up without either of them.