1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has anyone tried genetic testing?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RV6, Sep 28, 2016.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Just curious as to what y'all have tried and your reviews. I'm thinking it would be cool to do/have.. Anyone tried the home tests? Are they worth it?

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I often wonder if it is not a big ole conspiracy to get a genetic profile of everyone . . . ..
    but
    I have had several friends who seem to be happy with their results

Rocket River

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yao Ming did. And the legend is true: He's got Texan in him.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Are you talking about "seeing where your ancestors are from?"

I think it's called 23andme. Someone posted that thread way back when. Also, ancestry has one too.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have done 23andme (have also met Anne, the founder, a few times). Apparently, I am more Neanderthal than 99 % of all people. I've already told my wife that if I ever hit her over the head with a club and drag her into a cave, that is my excuse.

I did it when they were still allowed to tell you the health risks as well (increased or decreased probabilities for certain diseases). What it tells me matches my family history of diseases, as far as I know it.

Rodman23 likes this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Ive done the 23andme. Speaking for myself only, it was a little underwhelming and very vague. Maybe in a couple decades there will be better information.

AMS likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

23andme sells y'alls info as leads for $399 a pop.

8. Vanilla Thunder

Vanilla Thunder Contributing Member

My mom did it through Ancestry and it was pretty vague.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Got ancestry for Christmas present, and it was vague. Gave me some percentages, but would have liked more information, maybe even some genetic code would be nice. It was accurate though as it linked me up to some of my cousins without me giving it any family information. I would say that is a nice gift, but not a good purchase. That said, if there is a service out there that gives more information then that would be more interesting.

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Done FTDNA and 23andme.

23andme is much more interesting. They give you all kinds of health info.

FTDNA just looks for STR's, which are basically repeating errors specifically to match you with relatives but it doesn't give you any reports on your actual genome.

23andme gives you all sorts of interesting reports on increased disease/cancer risk and other health info. The reports are kind of vague, but interesting.

Much more content at 23andme than any of the other services I've seen.

11. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

23andme is great. It was spot on on my ancestry (my parents are immigrants, so that's easy), & my boyfriend's was pretty amazingly accurate on what his family already knew, or always thought was the case. Every country/region was accounted for & in the expected percentages, like only off 2% of what he knew. His grandparents did ancestry.com more recently & the results do not match what they already knew about their history, except for areas that were very vague, like general european. I think a lot of their results are just straight wrong actually.

Also, you get your entire genetic code on 23andme. Since they aren't allowed to give you very specific health risks (though they do tell you if you're a carrier for diseases), you can just download your code & use other tools online that translate it for you. You also can find your cousins! My boyfriend found out an author of a book he read is actually his 3rd cousin. They also tell you things like your eye-color & male-baldness & whatever.

I recommend waiting til Christmas since they often do a sale. I got 1 kit for $99 & every additional was 20% off.

#11 BabyClutch, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Did one for a dog once, to see what he was mixed with etc.....

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I took the test...

Failed it.

Thank you. I'll be here all week. Try the veal

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

it's not a total scam , but when it comes to genetic disease probabilities, it is useless unless it is related to cancer .

#14 Exiled, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

thanks for the feedback.....do they only link you to relatives in their own pool of clients or do they have access to pools of other tests too?

16. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

Their own clients.