1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has anyone driven the Blue Ridge Parkway?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

I want to drive that road but man it's a trek to get to the start from Houston......

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is this the road along Buffalo Bayou to the Woodlands entertainment district?

Deckard and Xerobull like this.
  3. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Yes, several times a year I travel travel parts of it for sightseeing. I highly recommend including the Smoky Mountains in your plans IF you enjoy nature.

If you're one of those people that are just looking for a twisting road to drive, go somewhere West as the speed limit is mostly about 35 and it's already overran at times with aggressive, GoPro wielding types.

#3 FrontRunner, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    Sajan likes this.
  4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

5. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Ugh, I lost my window to edit my post.

After I read that I looked closely at your avatar and realized my post sounds almost like a personal attack. It wasn't intended to be. It's just... the Parkway is becoming suckier to me. Encroaching development is rapidly spoiling views along parts; some of the small towns have seen their populations explode in recent years and traffic to and from is becoming a PITA; the pandemic brought out what seems like a twentyfold increase in travelers; and I'm seeing more and more packs of dipshit cyclists and crazed tailgaters. I could go on but I've already typed this once, lol.

Pro tip: If you do drive it, have a windshield-mounted GPS so you'll know how tight the next curve is.

Sajan likes this.
  6. Sajan

Sajan Member

@FrontRunner
    Thanks for your input. I didn't take it as a personal attack at all. I know the type you are talking about also.

I just want to get out of Houston for a while and drive some fun roads and do some hikes along the way. I am not looking to Youtube/Instagram my experience via GoPro haha.

Going west is even longer, otherwise I would do PCH or something in Arizona.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Best drive Ive been told by a truck driver is tennesse to kentucky.
    I drove the AR ozarks (6.5/10 rating) and the oklahoma border where they have the 3 sticks monument 7.5/10), that valley is breathtaking and scary.

8. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I don't know many great pure drives anymore, but if you're looking to hike, there are a ton of waterfalls in the Asheville area along the Parkway. And the Smokys... just endless rivers and hiking opportunities. There's the Appalachian trail not far as well.

Sajan likes this.
  9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Driving around places like Eureka Springs (switchback hell - can't even enjoy the views because you may fly off a cliff. lol.) and Talimena around Oklahoma are some nice drives in the Fall, but unfortunately tourists and whackos tend to overrun the place at various times of the year. That, and Talimena is kind of isolated from "stuff to do" unless you're maybe strictly an outdoorsy person.

But I love NW Arkansas and it's beautiful if the Fall season is right. There are a lot of bikers that travel from the DFW area to head up there to ride the back roads. I used to drive up there in the Fall just to get the hell away from big cities, but some of the smaller towns up there are starting to get like suburbia down here.

#10 Dr of Dunk, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    cheke64 likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What kinda douchery is this? "I want to drive, but gosh, it's such a drive". :D

Everybody should drive around that area. It's beautiful. I used to drive from DFW up to Tennessee for kicks, and always wanted to head further east towards the Virginias, but time and weather were always an issue. I used to save up vacation time for the end of the year to make a road trip to places like Arkansas and Tennessee, but then had to come back home for work, so a long road trip was kind of restricted. That whole Tennessee/Kentucky/Virginias/Carolinas area is probably pretty beautiful in the Fall, but I only made it out to Kentucky/Tennessee during the winter.
    Make some stops along the way to entertain yourself. If you're into cars, the Corvette museum in Bowling Green was pretty awesome, and I'm not a huge Corvette guy. Two weeks after I went, they had a sinkhole swallow a bunch of cars. I had nothing to do with it.

I still want to make the drive from DFW out to the Carolinas. And I still want to make a drive from DFW out to Auburn, Indiana. I also would like to hit Route 66 and drive up to the Denver area. Now that I can pick the time of the year and not have to worry bout work schedules or seasons much, the only thing I have to worry about is covid. lol.

Sajan likes this.
  12. Sajan

Sajan Member

LOL. I meant the actual fun part of the drive is not close to Houston.....I love driving though. Just drove from Phoenix to Houston in Feb with an overnight stay in El Paso.

I looked on the Porsche forums and someone mentioned Cherohola Skyway near Robbsinsville, NC as an alternative to Blue Ridge
    http://tailofthedragonmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/Outlets_2015.pdf

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I lived in the Asheville area for a few years and been up and down many of the mountain roadways. The Blue Ridge parkway was designed as a tourist route with plenty of scenic overlooks. There are endless roads with lots of turns and switchbacks. They are fun for a short bit but it becomes tedious after awhile.
    If you go during leaf season, expect lots of traffic. If you do go, make sure you plan for all the stops along the way. There are lots If interesting things to see and do.

Sajan likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've always wanted to drive out West to maybe California or Nevada/Arizona, but that drive just through West Texas scares the hell out of me and looks boring as hell. lol. I mean, that's probably a 9-10 hour drive of damn-near nothing before you get to just El Paso. At least going east there's always places to stop along the way. I always down I40 through Arkansas to Memphis before I got to Nashville. I don't know if you have kids, but I always planned my trips for Fall and when school was back in. I tried to avoid tourists as much as possible. lol.

Hell, you're out there, do both Cherohala and Blue Ridge. lol.

Sajan and cheke64 like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Yep, this song is no joke:

Mango likes this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. Buck Turgidson

Yep

This is excellent. Everyone who wants to go ZOOM ZOOM on people roads should watch it.

Sajan and FrontRunner like this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

I left El Paso at 6am and was in Houston by 4pm or so with some traffic/rain when I got to SA.
    But you're right, it's a straight shot with NOTHING to see. I was cruising at 100mph (20 over) and felt like I was standing still. Just me and a bunch of truckers. Saw 2 state troopers but radar picked them up early enough.

Going east, at least there are actual cities/towns to stop at.

But man, I would kill to go drive my car on PCH....but that's a lot of miles if it's round trip.
    Phx to Grand Canyon to Vegas would be fun too.

Omg. Nope. Nope. Can't do that.

Deckard and Ottomaton like this.
  20. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

All of this talk about road trips made me think of this country song.

Traditional Country Singer

Newer Country

Eye Candy

Deckard and Buck Turgidson like this.