1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harrison Barnes?!?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by mickey_angelo, Nov 20, 2010.

1. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

*Disclaimer* This is not a "let's start tanking" thread

Harrison Barnes seems to be the early favorite to being next year's #1 draft pick. I don't believe the Rockets will remain at bottom of the standings throughout the season, but even if they turn things around and reach the playoffs I think it's becoming clear this team needs a new direction.

Considering the right to swap picks with the NY Knicks is top pick protected, their pick isn't 100% fail-safe to get Barnes. With that in mind, what do you feel the odds are that a team would give up the chance to pick a player like Barnes, and do you think the Rockets would be willing to make the sacrifice necessary to begin a new Rocket's era?

Discuss...

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm a big UNC guy (went there) and I've gotten a chance to watch him a little bit. He's obviously going to be good.. but there might be better candidates for the #1 spot (Sullinger).

3. Tfj4

Tfj4 Member

If the Rockets get a chance at the #1 Pick, give them the whole team if thats what it takes. We need to take a chance to acquire a Star and at this point, the draft is our best bet.

4. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

I admittedly don't know much about Sullinger, but what I have heard is that he is a very polished player but lacks long term potential(star power). Do you think those assessments are wrong, and do you think he has the skills to be the face of the franchise?

He also seems to lack a bit in the height department, which has been a major concern at the 4 spot in Houston for a while now. Of course he is only a freshmen, so it's possible he hasn't finished growing.

On another note, is he head and shoulders above Patrick Patterson and Jordan Hill to warrant using a #1 pick on another PF?(I'm looking at it from a Rocket's perspective, as another team might feel he definitely deserves the #1 status)

5. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Harrison Barnes Misfires as Minnesota Stuns North Carolina.

By Jim Henry
    Senior College Sports Writer

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico – Roy Williams was right. Everything does look better when the ball goes in the basket.

A night after scoring in triple digits and setting a tournament record for points scored, No. 8 North Carolina couldn't handle a defensive tussle against Minnesota on Friday night at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off Tournament.

The Tar Heels' 72-67 defeat the Coliseo de Puerto Rico, while disappointing, also expects to be an early test for a team that failed to handle adversity last season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Coverage: Deja Blue, Heels Need to Toughen Up After Loss

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the Tar Heels set or tied eight tournament records in their 107-63 opening victory over Hofstra on Thursday, the game against Minnesota figured to be much more blue collar. It was.

Despite the distractions, Minnesota opened the tourney just outside the AP Top 25 and is expected to be a player in the Big Ten.

In that regard, it didn't disappoint. Both teams struggled mightily at times with offensive continuity, though the grinding style better suited Minnesota's personality.

UNC, which shot 56.3 percent against Hofstra, converted 24-65 field goals (36.9 percent).

Williams, who talked how fun it was to score points a night earlier, also watched his team make just 4-18 3-point field goals after shooting 70.6 percent (12-of-17) versus the Pride.

Freshman Harrison Barnes, UNC's leading scorer at 16.5 points per game, did not make a field goal in 12 attempts and finished with five points. Forward Tyler Zeller led the Tar Heels with 16 points as no other Tar Heel was in double digits.

Minnesota was paced by Blake Hoffarber's 20 points.

The Gophers (4-0) advance into Sunday's championship game against West Virginia (3-0), while the Tar Heels (2-1) play Vanderbilt (2-1).

The UNC-Minnesota game was the first game between the two teams since UNC beat Minnesota in the third-place game at the Preseason NIT Tournament in New York City.

The coaches, Williams and Tubby Smith at Minnesota, are good friends. They have split six previous meetings, all of which took place during Smith's tenure at Kentucky.

It has already been a trying season for Minnesota, which beat Western Kentucky 95-77 in its tourney opener.

After Devoe Joseph was suspended indefinitely for violating unspecified team rules last week, starters Colton Iverson and Rodney Williams were disciplined for team violations.

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/...s-misfires-as-minnesota-stuns-north-carolina/

6. G-Money

G-Money Member

KYRIE IRVING!

7. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

You don't use a #1 pick on a 6'8" college PF/C. 6'8" players without jump shots become undersized PF's in NBA.

Kyrie Irving is the clear #1 NBA prospect in the nation right now.

14.3 pts / 4.0 rebs /6.7 assists on 52/54/92% shooting all while maintaining an insane freshmen 6.7 assist to turnover ratio.

8. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Exactly. But I thought he was more of a wing player. But anyways, like I said before, we don't need anymore wing players taking jump shots. We have enough. This draft is weak with big men that can rebound, defend and block shots. The only one really close is Fab Melo, but he's more of a project. IT will take him maybe about of of his rookie contract before he gets it like most young centers now and days. Anyways make to Barnes. He reminds me of Marvin Williams. So I'm gonna say no.

9. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

What about Perry Jones? 6'11 SF freakish athletic ability, can score and dribble.

10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Is he 2 of 3?

11. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

:eek: Yikes!!!. If that is true then it's a no from me too.

Barnes? He's more of a 3

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Thank ya!

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Fair enough, I don't really know much about Sullinger outside of his stats vs. Florida. Although, I wouldn't dismiss him just because of his height.

That said, I'd probably prefer a PG -- though you will never see me admit I want a Dukie.

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I dont think Barnes is the clear cut #1 pick scouts are making him out to be. But Perry Jones on the other hand is with out a doubt the clear cut "top talent" of the 2011 nba draft.

You get reminiscences of a young Tracy McGrady when you see him play, but with a 6'11 frame. The only thing holding him back is his questionable drive.

The way I see it... here's my top 10 for the 2011 NBA Draft:

#1 Perry Jones 6'11 SF/PF

#2 Kyrie Irving 6'2 PG

#3 Harrison Barnes 6'8 SG/SF

#4 Enes Kanter 6'11 C

#5 Jan Vesely 6'11 SF/PF (int.)

#6 Donatas Montiejunas 7'0 PF/C (int.)

#7 Jared Sullinger 6'10 PF

#8 Mason Plumlee 6'11 PF

#10 Jonas Valanciunas 6'11 PF/C (int.)

--RB

15. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

He measured 6'9(in shoes) last year when he was 17, and his currently 18 so his still growing, I agree, I don't think his #1 pick material but he definitely has good size for a PF..

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jared-sullinger

--RB

16. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

That would be a major concern for me.

17. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Yeah, in order to draft transcendental talent (ie Jordan, Duncan, Hakeem), you can't draft someone without drive or head cases.

18. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Well ESPN and Rivals has him at 6'8". Scout has him at 6'9". According to the scouting reports, he is not a great athlete. I don't think there is a way that he is going to get drafted in front of Kanter.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Barnes is iffy to get picked ahead of guys like Kanter/Sullinger/Jones/Irving. Irving and Barnes will both benefit from the Duke/UNC names, respectively, so it's hard to say at this point. Of them all, I feel like the league is more oriented towards PG's dominating so I would prefer Irving at this point. He has much better size than I thought he would when I heard about him in HS.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I haven't heard about any problems regarding desire from Barnes. The major thing that I've heard is that he is obsessed about his image, almost like Kobe if he had been as meticulous when he was younger. This may not be a bad thing but it could be. Apparently Barnes does do his homework in terms of constantly watching video of his game and trying to find ways to improve. He should be successful in the NBA, but once he hits his ceiling that perception of him as a possible primadonna is going to be used against him as an excuse for why he can't reach higher levels of play.