1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harris County Convicted murderer allowed to remain free on bond to get haircut

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Aug 23, 2023.

1. TheresTheDagger

This is not the first time 351st Criminal District Court Judge Nata Cornelio has allowed a defendant to remain free after pleading guilty to a violent crime on June 28, 2021.

Gregory Moore, 30, was gunned down by 33-year-old James Ray Lane.

"If he would have just hurt him, I'd have been fine," said Moore's father, Gregory Lamonte Johnson. "But he was shooting to kill."

Moore a father of four was visiting Houston from New York.

"There's so much these kids are going to miss because this boy did something stupid," said Moore's stepmother Tabitha Soules.

Judge Cornelio lowered Lane's $250,00 bond to $100,000.

He's been out on bond for two years and has multiple curfew violations.

On August 17, Lane is back before Judge Cornelio.

more at link...

tinman likes this.
  2. TheresTheDagger

The Judge: (in her own words) Democrat, Criminal Justice "reformer". Feminist. Endorsed by Democrat Congresswomean Sylvia Garcia, Judge Lina Hidalgo, Harris County Young Democrats, Area 5 Democrats,

tinman likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Maybe his hair looked really ****.

Xerobull and tinman like this.
  4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

The dude should have been put in jail as soon as he confessed to murder, I am sure there is more to this then letting him stay out until sentencing but this doesn't pass the smell test.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'd be more interested to know what the sentencing guidelines are, and what she sentenced him to after being convicted. Of course people accused of violent crimes are treated differently, but it's always a matter of judgement on part of the judge with whether or not you pose a danger to the public while awaiting your trial.

Important to note that this judge ran on being who she is, and Houstonians voted her in fair and square. She is a former public defendant lawyer. She's represented immigrants that got sucked up in Trump's incoherent border/immigration policies. She's been vocal, and ran on helping fix the problems in our court system that prey's on black and brown kids.

The fact is Houstonians voted for this Judge knowing who she is ideologically. That means them voting for judges that aren't going to flood the jails if it's not completely necessary. So Houstonians voted in someone that they are actually wanting to look at cases like this one, and use his or her judgement to not jail someone pending trial unless it's completely necessary. We simply do not know what evidence there is that this guy is or is not a danger.

So the OP's beef really is with the people of Houston. Judges decisions also can always be appealed, and I'm sure this will if her actions were a clear violation of state legislative regulations or law.

Point being... the OP is just b****ing to b**** to b****, and doesn't even have a dog in this fight. If he's so worried about the city of Houston, move to 5th or 6th ward, and vote. This guy isn't going to leave the barber shop in Houston, drive up to your gated community in the Woodlands, and do a drive by on your street, and shoot out the windows of your Tahoe. You are going to be fine dude.

FrontRunner likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yick, that fox26houston story is written so poorly. It reads more like a Facebook post than an actual news article. Anyway, it seems like there's a need to update or clarify some laws. Texas Legislature, get to work.

https://abc13.com/bond-harris-county-judge-defending/11824732/

ABC13 looked into different cases out of both Judge Hill and Judge Morton's courtrooms, where accused murderers were out on multiple felony bonds, set by the judges. While the judges can't comment on pending cases, they both made it clear that the law does not allow them to set bail as a way of keeping someone behind bars.

"We cannot set bail specifically to keep people in custody," Judge Morton said. "The law specifically prohibits that we cannot use bail as a means of punishment because they have been accused of a crime. Bail is to ensure that they show up to court and they comply with bond conditions."

"It's not that people are angry, that people are that we're setting bail too low. They're angry that people are making their bail. They, they are angry that our system is such that we're required to give them bail. And, and if they have money, they get to get out and there is nothing we can do about that. I understand that anger, but I don't get to change the law.

While under the law, everyone is entitled to bond, like capital murder and those charged repeatedly with felonies, the judges and the District Attorney's office can't agree on how that happens.

"I understand the frustration people would have when they're seeing somebody commit crime after crime after crime and they get bail after bail after bail," Judge Hill said.

Both judges say in order for them to deny a repeat offender's bond and keep behind bars until trial, there must be a hearing.

"No matter how absurd it may sound, no matter how many offenses they're alleged to have committed, the only legal way for us or for any judge to hold someone at no bail is after a hearing," Judge Hill said.

We expect our judges and District Attorney's office to know the law and work together, but they work in the same courtrooms, and don't agree on the law when it comes to how someone's bond can be denied.

The judges say only the District Attorney's office can request the hearings to deny bond, while the District Attorney's office disagrees, calling the judges wrong.

"It is a disingenuous misreading of the law for judges to attempt to evade their responsibility to ensure public safety in the setting bonds by erroneously claiming they are powerless to do so, when the law gives them that explicit authority,' Dane Schiller, with the District Attorney's Office said. "It is not true that a judge can't raise or lower bonds or set hearing without a motion from the state. It is wrong for any judge to claim their hands are tied when it comes to setting bond consistent with public safety."

Schiller also points to a recent appeals court decision, claiming judges can revoke and increase bail anytime he or she finds the bail insufficient.

In response, Judge Hill said the case is still pending and claims if the judges requested the hearings to deny bond, they wouldn't be staying neutral.

"You have a judge who serves nothing more than a referee, as a judge we are tasked with the job of listening to the evidence and applying the law as it fits," Judge Hill said.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe the judge is passing the buck, but don't see why the DA couldn't ask to deny bond anyway. He blames the judges for not doing something he could have asked them to do, but didn't.

FrontRunner likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

i don't get why either

kinda weird

Andre0087 likes this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well why not let him get a spa day for his mani pedi as well ?

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

How do you even get bail if you confess to a murder? I've been away from Houston for a few years but has it really changed that much in Harris County?

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I don't know how common it is for someone who pleads guilty to murder to be given bond, but otherwise this reeks of rage bait.

Dude gets a hair cut while on bond and somehow that becomes his entire reason for being granted bond? I don't buy it.

Edit: Apparently its standard for anyone out on bond to remain on bond no matter their plea. It's just not often someone admits to murder.

#11 DonnyMost, Aug 23, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
    Invisible Fan, Rashmon and ROCKSS like this.
  12. dobro1229

I just assumed he was out on bail. If he plead guilty then it's weird that in a murder case that he wouldn't be immediately handcuffed, and detained pending his sentencing. The info on this case just seems like we are missing important information about what is going on here.

deb4rockets, ROCKSS and Andre0087 like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Funny how different this story sounds than when first posted here. I wonder why?

FrontRunner and ROCKSS like this.
  14. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Typically, when I see this and they end up getting to the bottom of it, it's based on the law and not necessarily the judge...........for the most part the judge has to follow the law and by and large I think they do that, left or right. Of course, you always have extremes...............I`m looking at you Clarance "freeloader" Thomas

Xopher and Andre0087 like this.
  15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Will Rudy get a chance to dye his hair?
    [​IMG]

Invisible Fan likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Take away:

Democrats and evil and should all be fired!

17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump's probably worried about dropping a load in his diaper right before weigh in.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I'm thinking the same but anytime someone posts here with Dems/Repubs doing this and that I have my suspicions also.

19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

How much instant spray tan will Trump leak if held for more than a few hours? That's the bigger issue at hand...

20. dobro1229

I will say though that Harris county now has a target on its back from Austin. The situation with HISD is a travesty and shows the lengths the state will go to punish subvert and intimidate Harris county and their voters who they see as an existential threat for their power.

I suspect we’ll see many attempts in the coming years to attack the Harris county judicial system.

dmoneybangbang likes this.