1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden vs other MVP candidates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lawlruschang, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

Since the beginning of 2017, Harden:

6-5 vs KD+Curry, 6-2 when Paul also plays
    4-0 vs Lebron
    3-1 vs Giannis

And people out there still sleeping on this man. These are the guys you have to go through to win a title. 13-6 combined and 13-3 with Paul. Amazing.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If Harden were couple inches taller and considered a big, wouldn't he technically be more valuable as this team hasn't had a skilled, mobile, facilitating PF in a long time?

Or like forever.

RyanB and Stormy1234 like this.
  3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Not sure if they are "sleeping on him". He was MVP last year.

4. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

I’m talking about the haters

5. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Amongst the other MVP candidates (by bball reference's award tracker) he's first in points, second in assists, first in steals. Houston's win% really holding him back on there which gives him just 2.2% odds of winning.

However well he was playing, there's no ****ing way he's winning it again. Losing against Steph in 2015 and Westbrook in 2017 were travesties, they had to give it him last year, but the media just doesn't like the way Harden and Houston play. Even the smarter writers like Zach Lowe aren't fans of the style, which is fine because it is a very unique, hyper-efficient style, but it's just bs narrative plays so much in it. They already had Giannis or Davis written in before the first game tipped off because it's 'their' turn.

s3ts, cbs1507, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

They’re sleeping on him.

I have a friend who constantly bashed him calling him overrated. Has even gone so far to call him “ a loser and always will be a loser”.

I just don’t get the hate.

cbs1507, BigMaloe and Lawlruschang like this.
  7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

He's animated when he doesn't get his foul calls. He hasn't over come the showing up when it counts thing. He initiates the contact a lot. He's one of our guys, so we love him. It's easy to see why people would dislike him though

8. mikol13

Supporting Member

Yeah I get it, but my friend is also a Rockets fan. I get why some may not like him, but to say his game is overrated is ridiculous imo.

Same friend tonight said he’d rather have Matt Maloney. That’s straight up hate just to hate. No one in their right mind would want MM or his lifetime contract over Harden. :p

BigMaloe, LCAhmed and Lawlruschang like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Your friend trolled you hard..... retaliation!

10. mikol13

Supporting Member

Nope. He’s not kidding. Dead serious.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Harden won MVP last year but to me he has never been an MVP....he doesn't play hard enough of D.

DD

12. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

Strange. I’ve seen him give decent effort considering he isn’t an ultrahuman like Lebron or Westbrook and has to carry one of the biggest offensive burdens ever

bballjunkie likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Just gonna put this here....

“Well you know, James has really grown,” Lucas said. “He’s a true professional to his craft.”

Lucas certainly knows his way around the sport, with a career that took him to Washington, Lancaster, the Bay Area, Cleveland and even the Nigerian men’s national team. He’s seen just about every sort of player one can imagine, the hard workers, the slackers, the GOATs. Whether it’s Harden getting up shots way after practice in Lake Charles, La., or trying to hit a 3 from behind the backboard in pregame before he can retreat to the locker room, Lucas wants to push Harden because he’s aware of his greatness and the weight he carries for those around him.

“I had Kobe at a young age, and James has that same kind of work ethic about his craft,” Lucas added. “He really is a student of this game and has grown in his leadership skills.

“One of the things that makes him so good for his size is he’s got some of the quickest feet I’ve ever seen. He’s got the feet of a ballerina, or a defensive back. He’s in that category of quickness. And with his size, every year he’s added something new to his game.
    I probably shouldn’t tell you this, but one of the goals that I’ve had for him when we talk is three MVPs in a row. You can argue he could have gotten one in one of the years Steph (Curry) got one, so this is Year 2 (for him now). We gotta pick up the pace in wins obviously. Larry Bird is the only one that did it — in 84, 85 and 86.”

14. riko

riko Member

He is blowing every other candidate out of the water after recovering from his injury

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...Harden-Is-Best-Offensive-Player-Ive-Ever-Seen

After James Harden's 47-point performance in the Houston Rockets 102-97 win over the Utah Jazz, Chris Paul said that James Harden was the best offensive player he's "ever seen".

Paul added "I mean, seriously. He can drive. He can shoot. He’s got ball-handling. It’s going to be a tough night for whoever it is. I don’t care what you’re doing".

Harden has averaged 38.6 points, 7.6 assists, and 6.6 rebounds in his last five games.

Harden said he knows the reason for his scoring tear, but added that he "can’t tell you, though.”

16. mightybosstone

Stephen Curry, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Allen Iverson, Charles Barkley and Magic Johnson all say "hi." There have been a number of sub-par defensive players who have won MVP awards in their careers. Few of them had seasons as remarkable as what Harden did last year.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Harden won't tell you.....but John Lucus might......

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This was a bad post and you should feel bad

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Other DaDakota player evaluations when the Rockets were looking to upgrade their roster.

LeBron: "He is too old"
    Durant: "He does not play defense."

These were the knocks against them as to why DaDakota did not want to pursue them.

That......is some evaluating.

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

That's pretty pathetic of you...

*shrugs*