1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden: Scott Foster Shouldn’t Referee Anymore Rockets Games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Feb 22, 2019.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

25k well worth telling the truth.

mikol13 likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They were basically asking for T’s out of frustration (just “talking to him” ... LOL ... watch the video), and Paul is smart enough to know he shouldn’t be the one to commit that foul, particularly with Harden out of the game.

I think I’m done with this topic. If the Rockets get to the level of play that they need to get to, Scott Foster is not someone to worry about IMO. Would rather focus on the positives of last night’s win, and talk about how the Rockets can build on that.

BeBreezy likes this.
  3. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

If we dodge him in a series against the warriors (as well as Tony Brothers and Ken Mauer) then its worth it tbh.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We should never know who the hell a ref is …. the fact that we all know the names of a select few officials (Brothers , Mauer & Foster) is bad news.

Even the perception that they are affecting the outcomes of games is bad for the league.

Foster not only shouldn't ref any Rockets games , he shouldn't ref another high school game much less an NBA game.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The crazy thing is that, including the Lakers game, Foster has only officiated 2 games for us this season. Compared to other teams like Philly (6 games), Boston (5 games), and Pelicans (5 games).

6. today

today Contributing Member

The biggest issue is that players/teams have no say in the referee pool. That needs to change, and something drastic has to occur in order to bring about that change.

Hopefully as the Prez, CP3 can push for this change.

IMO, a simple change as a first step could be that each team gets to remove one ref from the pool of refs that get assigned to their playoff games. This would be managed behind closed doors, and the only people with knowledge of selections would be the people who make the ref assignments.

If a ref finds that he/she is not getting assigned to as many playoff games as usual, then it's a signal to them that multiple teams have requested their removal, and they ought to make changes the following year to improve their reputation.

7. 大胡子登登

大胡子登登 New Member

球员教练选出的联盟最差裁判,为什么还能得到联盟的器重?

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You are obviously stretching. He was the one who was right next to the ballhandler. You want him to waste precious seconds just so he could stay in the game for the last 15 or so seconds? If you are trying to argue that Paul gave up and wanted to leave the game with a 6th foul, please tell me why he made a hurry up 3 right before that foul?

You denied that you were making the false dichotomy, and then follow up with this statement. LOL. Come on, you are smarter than that.

This is my last post as well.

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

My point wasn't really Foster …. Its any ref who's a known. They should literally be anonymous.

When they affect the outcome of a game , they aren't doing their job.

If they (any of them) appear to affect the outcome of a game and we are talking about them …. they aren't doing their jobs.

If we are talking about them in the context of the game , at all …. they aren't good refs.

The only time we should be talking about a ref in any sport is something like … look at Ed Hochuli's guns or maybe Lauren Holtkamp has a nice rack …. but other than that we shouldn't know who the hell they are … when it comes to the context of the game itself.

BigMaloe and clutchdabear like this.
  10. durvasa

Capela was *right there*. It was a bad foul in that situation, and I maintain that it's not a foul he would commit if not frustrated with the officiating. He shot the three because that’s what you reflexively do in that situation. Not suggesting he was purposely trying to throw the game.

https://stats.nba.com/events/?flag=1&GameID=0021800872&GameEventID=634&Season=2018-19&title=Paul Personal Take Foul (P6.PN) (M.Smith)

It’s not “false” to make a distinction between things you can control (how you play) and things you can’t control (how the refs call the game).

#170 durvasa, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's one of the cases that if Foster has targeted not one but more teams, more teams will be protesting against him.

Building a bigger case.

#171 daywalker02, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  12. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was about to say the exact same thing....

Ziggy and charlieaustin like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

A guy I know at church was a long time NBA ref. He told me the other refs didn't like working with Foster... that he has a huge ego and with today's players you have to get along with them and allow them to talk to you throughout the game. Foster doesn't, the players don't get to let off steam, and if he makes a questionable call the players not only get upset with Foster, but also the other refs too.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Joey Crawford put 2 technicals on Steve Francis in Utah, because Steve was destroying Stockton.
    Steve Francis was going for a career high in points. Stockton always hooks the arm in pick and rolls.

kubli9 likes this.
  15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Seriously though, it's gonna be interesting when Foster refs us again. I wonder if he has to put HIS ego in check and make sure he puts on a good face for the league. If he goes ham and ejects harden/paul/d'antoni...

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

good point breh. never saw it like that before.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Hmm, In my opinion though how refs call a game does directly effect how a team plays though. How many times have you heard commentators say "The refs are calling it tight/letting them play - Team A must adjust"

Teams shouldn't have to adjust how they play from night to night because of how refs call the game

More often than not though the team can mitigate the effects of volatile refereeing by hitting their shots, which the Rockets did not against the Lakers late. I do not believe that at least in today's NBA that 'how you play' and 'how the refs call the game' though are not related in some way. The way refs call the game have a huge influence on how a team may play.

Easy, bballjunkie and YOLO like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

19. durvasa

Agree.

Disagree. That’s part of the game. Either adjust style, or play in a manner that doesn’t overly rely on getting the benefit of close calls. The Rockets take advantage of how refs make those calls more than anyone. Your style of play has to be resilient enough to handle different reffing styles. This is one of the criticisms of the Rockets in the Harden years as far as why they have often under-performed in the playoffs.

BeBreezy likes this.
  20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I disagree completely here. The NBA is full of subjective calls and I support that. The alternative is the poop show that is the NFL, where in order for something to be a catch you have make a football move, say your first and last name directly into the camera, and recite the alphabet backwards to at least the letter N all while remaining in bounds.

What irks me is inconsistency within the game itself, missed calls, and preferential player treatment. If it's a foul on Harden, it's a foul on LeBron. Moving screens set by Nene should also be called if they are set by Jordan Bell. Kevin Durant out of bounds isn't even close to OK. I didn't pay >$400 to watch Scott Foster play, and the NBA should acknowledge that too.