1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden really needs a stand out performance in this year's playoffs..No excuse

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeemthagreat, Apr 14, 2017.

1. hakeemthagreat

He's already proven he has a elite talent. He's already proven he can elevate his team to elite status during the regular season. The ONLY thing that's stopping James Harden from getting the respect he truly deserves, is his playoff performances. Playoff James doesn't really exist. Ever since he's been in Houston, we have yet to see him elevate his game in the postseason. You can make a argument he's under performed every playoff since being in Houston. I think what we need to see is James show the WILL to win. If his shots not falling, he needs to do the other things that count. Rebounds, assist, steals etc...Far too often when he's having a bad shooting game he looks lost & timid. This year Harden needs to keep his intensity up and play aggressive & decisive at all times. Those SLOPPY turnovers have to stop. Everything will be magnified now that he's playing against WB too

All in all, this playoff could DEFINE James Harden's career good or bad. If he kills it, then obviously ppl will forget his past playoff woes. But if he comes out and drops another dud, then this may shape his career forever (especially after having such a MVP caliber season). James Harden needs to REALLY shine in the post season this year.

RockWest, Yung-T, IvanLCPM and 19 others like this.
  2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Yup, agreed! He did good during the 2015 post-season, but not great. It's time to elevate his game, lock in defensively and indeed tone down the sloppiness and drop the laziness.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Lol it's like you guys only remember bad games. Do you not remember game 1 and 2 vs gsw in 15 for instance?

Lol people are laughable. He's had plenty of playoff performances. More than he's had duds.

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Did I or OP say bad? He specifically states Harden does not elevate his game, so it's the same as in the regular season. You could argue less than his usual performance. I think we can all agree it's pretty much the same as the regular season. Wouldn't say it's worse, except for a few games here and there but that's expected.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, in 2015 against the Warriors, for 4 of those games, he was about as dominant as a player can possibly be. He DESTROYED Klay.

I think for the Rockets to be successful he actually needs to take a step back and just move the ball. We need guys like Ryno, Gordon, Lou and Nene to step up big. Let our depth do what it does.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

its very easy to elevate your game if your not double triple quadruple teamed all the time and his teammates are playing either the same or worse than the reg season

rockets don't have multiple double teamed stars like gsw, spus, cavs, and celts

7. hakeemthagreat

You're talking a few games in the postseason. But I'm talking about him imposing his WILL on a whole playoff series (which he has yet to do). Harden will ball out one game and then make 13 turnovers in the other. We need him to be more consistent. We need Harden to play smarter and using better selection on when to takeover

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good luck imposing your will on Golden State this year. What ends up happening is a Kobe-esque 7-34 from the field. To beat a team like that we need Harden to take a step back from controlling the action, IMO. Gotta let guys like Gordon and Lou create to give the offense diversity, similar to how Steph is heavily decoyed to open up Klay, Durant, Draymond. Reminds me of those Kobe vs Phoenix games. Kobe realized that he could not take over and impose his will, because those Suns team would run up the score. You have to play a total team game to beat them.

9. BigMaloe

So act and yell and scream like Westbrook? Got it

OP with referencing sloppy play. He has elevated his play. Mixed in with average games. And a few bad games.

10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Dude that game winner against mavs game 3 also! Or his triple double in game 5 vs clippers

Some on this board are worse than the media when it comes to harden stereotypes

11. BigMaloe

Oh there is plenty of games I just cited 2 because that's what popped into my memory first.

And your right about the board, but you have to remember this board is the reason the media has the Harden stereotype. This board created the low-light video. This board doesn't appreciate him.

And by board I don't mean all of us, just referencing this community, where a lot of his hate has gathered.

YaoMing#1 and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  12. T for 3

T for 3 Member

people can act like harden's playoff resume is fine, and they will (referencing the GSW games) but he still needs to be better in the playoffs as a whole. It's undeniable. Since you all cherry picked a few games, i'll cherry pick one that sticks out in my memory. Game 6, LAC.

HTM, DreamShook and Rocketeer4Life like this.
  13. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

i still remember how harden got shut down by Wesley in the portland series...... and how LA destroyed terrance jones.....

Rocketeer4Life likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Ryno, Gordon and Lou are our combined second option.

Capela, Nene, Ariza and Bev being our 3rd option

If they suck then James Harden's gaudy stats won't matter. Ryno and Gordon have not been to the Playoffs for some time.

vtjsr2 likes this.
  15. Daddy Long Legs

Game 6 against boston in 2010 lebron james.

Game 4-6 against warriors westbrook

Game 7 vs cleveland steph curry

All star players have good and bad games in the playoffs. As a whole hardens playoff averages are good and worthy of star player status.

Why is it more logical to cherry pick bad games rather then cherry picking good games?

So many of your posts only talk about glass half empty view points of the rockets. Good games and good performances have existed too...

16. kanggang

kanggang Member

Most NBA fans cherry pick...and that's why Westbrook and Curry too are treated as playoff chokers as well with their performances last year and will continue to do so unless they have an elite clutch playoff performance this year. Same goes for Harden, to get respect from the average fan, can't have another Lebron 2010 Game 6 vs Boston-esque moment but a Lebron 2012 Game 6 vs Boston moment to really elevate his status

split41, BigMaloe and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

It's great when Harden gets pumped up.
    [​IMG]

18. Daddy Long Legs

I understand it wont change unless he wins a chip. Kinda like dirks reputation didnt change till 2011

I just wish that clutchfans gave him the benefit of the doubt. No matter what happens Harden has proven he can ball. We have a generational talent. Enjoy the moment and appreciate him while hes in his prime balling for us

Chanmarr and BigMaloe like this.
  19. Newlin

Newlin Member

Harden already gets the respect that he deserves. He's already being considered for MVP. That's a lot of respect.

If Harden played better defense, and didn't focus so much on getting the cheap fouls, then he would get even more respect. The two complaints I hear over and over again about Harden Is lack of effort on defense, and he's always looking for the cheap foul.

Rocketeer4Life likes this.
  20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

What's with you and whining about the way people post?

Here I'll fix it for you.

Harden will dominate this series. 4-0 sweep. He's the best. He doesn't need to do any better than he has done previously in the playoffs.

LETS GO ROCKETS! WOOOOOO

BigMaloe likes this.