1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden Off-Ball Numbers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Icehouse, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Harden's best shooting season was his last one in OKC (2011/2012), when he shot 49% and 39% from distance. That season he made 68% of his shots at the rim and he was assisted on 27% of those. He was assisted on 84% of his threes, taking almost 5 a night. In the prior two OKC seasons he was assisted on 84% and 92% of his threes, and he made 38% and 35% of them. Our offense revolves around shots at the rim and threes.

Last season Harden was only assisted on 11% of his shots at the rim and 30% of his threes. I think he will shoot better playing alongside CP3.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

people also forget that he was runner up for MVP two years ago ...playing off the ball for long stretches. Ultimately the offense ran through him, but it wasn't like last year where he was the PG. Harden has had success in Houston off the ball and most certainly at OKC off the ball. I don't see a problem with letting one of the best PG's in history run the floor and have Harden play off the ball. When CP3 needs rest (and hopefully we'll rest him a lot because no need to wear him out), Harden can resume the PG role or Taylor can get some minutes. I really don't see what the big deal is.

bigdaddy likes this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Harden just have to move without the ball, nothing else really, if he does that we'll be fine.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not as optimistic.

Playing off-the-ball is a completely different sport from the one Harden has been playing the past 5 years. Not being able to dictate the pace, having to run around screens and move at the speed of the game instead of controlling the flow like he has been -- it'll be jarring.

He can absolutely do it. But to be mentally focused and committed to it for the duration of the game and in specific key moments... it'll be interesting.

Another problem...

if you ask him to play off-the-ball and also ask him to mitigate mid-range shots - that's a tough task. One that greatly diminishes his skillset IMO. You cant have him moving off-the-ball but only reward him with 3's or cuts towards the basket. Cutting to the basket without the ball and finishing isn't something he seems exceptionally comfortable with to me.

Ultimately I'm not worried about it. D'antoni can figure it out. And I expect Paul to be the one playing off ball most often. Opponent misses should = CP3 fastbreaks, if nothing materializes go back to Harden and restart the offense. Opponent makes = let Harden bring it up and run the play off him.

deshen likes this.
  5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Harden off Okc is vastly different to Harden off today.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes, but . . . one of the things Kevin Durant said he had to learn when he moved to GSW was how to keep moving if he didn't get the ball on the first trip down the floor. He says at OKC he'd zoom to the corner to wait for a pass and if it went to the other side he'd just camp out there until it made its way back to him. He says at Golden State they taught him to keep moving if he didn't get that first past in the corner and to make cuts under the basket etc until the ball found him.

I think Harden is going to be in a similar situation, and I agree MDA will similarly drill this into James's head as one of the keys to the team's success. We'll just have to wait and see how it develops.

7. basketballholic

It's hilarious to no end that people think Harden won't be effective off the ball, next to Paul.

Harden is a Great, not just good, but Great, off the ball player. He's great at catch and shoot and cutting. One of the best in the business. Where Harden sucks is when he forces passes at the point and when he settles for pull up three balls. He's simply awful at both.

Paul is going to do wonders for Harden and by extension the rest of the team.

hakeem94, MorningZippo, Nook and 2 others like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I cringe when I hear Harden and off-the-ball.. it NEVER worked here in Houston despite what he did in OKC so MDA just gave him the ball

Harden has no problem passing the ball off to another PG, but right now, he does absolutely nothing after he passes. He has been doing absolutely nothing without the ball for a while now. There are times when Harden passes, he just stand at the top of the key and lets the Rockets go 4 on 5.

Maybe with more creators Harden will be more inclined to cut and move.

Mazulis, deshen and hakeem94 like this.
  9. JD88

JD88 Member

Or Harden can literally go stand in a corner and pull the opposing team's best defender with him.

10. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Harden has HAD to be on the ball and control the pace since he has been here because he has been the ONLY person that can do it. Now he has another elite player that he can trust to do it. I don't think it will be a hard thing for him to do once things get rolling. Good thing is CP is a playmaker so he looks for others. We will have two elite players that are good at breaking down the defense off the dribble and finding others for open shots. What's not to like about that?

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Harden wanted to play with Paul

Paul wanted to play with Harden

It'll work just fine. If you're worried about whether two of the top 10 players in basketball can play basketball together, then so be it.

12. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Harden will be fine.

14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

It's the same people that wont realize just how great Harden is until he's retired.

If they couldn't see it before, they sure as hell won't see it now.

15. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

That'll be the plan. Paul will feed Harden plenty. If Harden returns to 40% from 3 this will be the most prolific Rocket offense with or without a player from NY.