1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden needs to play off the ball in 4th

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gfab-babyboi, Dec 29, 2015.

1. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When the games get close, the PG needs to handle the ball and call the offensive set. I am tired of the Harden Iso - Harden hold ball top of key - I want to see plays run in the 4th , and him get postups or catch and shoots only!

1 person likes this.
  2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Easier said than done... That would require learning a whole new system bro..

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

his iso ball was fine last season. can he go back to that success? i dunno but lets get some ****in wins first by playing some TEAM BALL!

4. thejav

thejav Member

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He never will. That leopard won't change it spots. That made him a superstar, allstar.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

WTF happened to Hardens Clutch gene???

Last year he was a bearded ice cold devil, destroying teams late in the 4th. This year he's cringe worthy bad, missing shots, turnovers and overall poor decision making.

I mean what the hell happened? Outside of that, it was a solid performance by the Rockets tonight but the usual flaws killed us yet again.

Turnovers, free throws, dumb fouls, bad defense and the one that is really starting to drive me into a mad man which is blowing 10-15 point leads by doing all of the above while going cold on offense.

Such a frustrating roster, superstar and team to watch this year.

7. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I can't help but think he's carrying an injury and trying to play through it. He just looks so slow. He beats guys still but they recover so fast and shut down his space because he has no zip or explosiveness. His handles are still there but when you are struggling with changes of speed and direction you are suddenly a lot more guardable.

8. badboy321

badboy321 Member

okay

couldn't agree more

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We need basic fundamentals. Easy quick fixes.

1. Box out
    2. Dont go for the gamble steal.
    3. Guard your man, stop looking at the ball while your man goes for a back door lay up.
    4. Push the ball.
    5. Play Thornton.

10. seeingred

seeingred Member

it seems to me that teams trapping him off the Pick and Roll really mess with his game. How many times have we seen him come around the pick, take 4 steps toward the paint, stop, and look to pass out? And quite often, when he decides to pass out, there's an opponent laying in the weeds to pick off the pass. It seems like they are doubling him with immunity.

JBB needs to ensure that, through scheme and spacing, Harden can find the open guy in a position to score off the double. And i do agree with OP - Harden has to learn to play off the ball at some point in his career. It's a broken record at this point but let's say it again - Yes he is usually good with the ball in his hands. But the best teams find ways to get their players the ball in different looks. If the playbook is Harden PnR and Harden ISO, teams can scheme for that. If the playbook also includes post ups, back door cuts, off ball screens, and plays for Ty Lawson or Dwight Howard that have secondary action for Harden - it becomes much harder to defend.

but whatever. we've been saying this sh_t since Rick the Ruler left.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Harden leads the league in turnovers, both in total and at 4.515 per game is the worst in the NBA.

DD

12. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

harden needs to play basketball in the 4th

13. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

Interesting. Also has more minutes/game, touches, and holds possession of ball before passing or shooting than most NBA players.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not sure if OP watched the 4th Q, but there was only one time Harden went ISO in the entire 4th Q, that ugly second to last possession (tie game with 1:13 left), and Lawson had the ball bringing it up court . Passed it to Harden with 8 seconds left.

imo, we played Harden the way OP wants for the entire 4th Q (with the Hack a Shaq for like 3 minutes). But, ppl still want to say every loss is the same.

15. heypartner

Yeah, but in a Per 38-minute basis (Harden's minutes), DMo is averaging 5.15 TO/gm :p

4.88 / gm on a 36-minute basis.
    He's got 1.9 TO/gm on 14 mpg.

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

A lot of people need to do a lot of things.

17. nnayak

nnayak Member

I can't blame Harden for running ISO if Corey Brewer is in the game. Brewer can't hit a shot, and even ran from the corner causing a Harden turnover.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is time to start Ty Lawson again.

19. heypartner

I know it must be hard to fathom that we lost a 4th Q like this without going ISO (except that one with a tie game at 1:13), but that's what happened.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the last time he eurostepped was when he hurt his knee in the phoenix pre season game