1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden ISO to close games is garbage offense.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LorneMalvo, Apr 21, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You could be like Thor with Storm breaker

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

that was exactly what I had in mind :D

3. threepointshot3

Lornamalvo is a lin fan troll who trolls here with multiple ids.Why harden stole rins gorory. This clown was trolling here with other ids such as hardensbeard and god knows how many other ids

4. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Sensitive, huh? No need to call names.

Yes, they do. Especially when a good switching defense neutralizes their screening game. Especially in the playoffs. Especially in the final minute of a close playoff game. If you watched Rockets vs GSW last playoffs, you would have seen lots of Durant ISO.

As I already acknowledged in my previous post, GSW is known for the passing in their offense, but that's not what they turn to against a good defense in the last minute of a tight game.

Again, how many times have you seen a team in the final minute of a tough playoff game run a set with more than one or two passes?

vlaurelio and D-rock like this.
  5. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

And here comes the backpedaling.

Me and jordnnnn point out that great times ISO at the end of games all the time. You call us stupid. Then you concede that's exactly what they do.
    Also, how did the Rockets win the close ones, when their end-game offense is (in your words) garbage?

Moving the goalposts. "Okay, you're right, other teams do that, but they're all stupid and not as smart as me."

Let's say you're right- just because teams do something doesn't mean it's the best.

But if one of the greatest dynasties of basketball does it, then you need to make a stronger case than simply calling it garbage. As jordnnnn pointed out, it's pretty easy to gather data in 2019. That would actually make a really cool analysis if you did that, pulling together data on ISO and passing in the final possessions of tight games.

Instead you're just calling things garbage, insulting anyone who disagrees by calling them stupid, and apparently former Coaches of the Year D'Antoni and Kerr are also stupid.

D-rock likes this.
  6. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

You’re not smart for being a semantic clown. Of course Durant isolates, stupid. THEY don’t close games with that.

They just played a close game. Durant may chuck a shot if the ball finds him late in the clock after good defense takes the first 2-3 options away. THAT is contextually FAR different than walking up the court slowly and getting a switch onto a guy with half the clock left. A situation where Hardens only option is to shoot. It is terrible low % offense in any situation. Let alone when Gobert is waiting 5 ft and in.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Since the Milk Hair days we didn't have a book of plays down the stretch......

Need to have more plays and involve others.

Harden ISO is alrite at times.....he is the best player, either him or CP3 will do the ISO.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Half the clock is plenty of time for Harden to make a play either with the shot or with the pass. The Rockets routinely start this action midway through the shot clock.

I think earlier you said it’s bad offense because Harden will not be looking to shoot in that situation. I don’t agree. I trust to him to read the defense and make the right play for us, including a pass if a guy is open and his shot is covered.

jordnnnn, topfive and vlaurelio like this.
  9. cebu

cebu Member

the defense was too close didn't even get the chance to dribble around.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it may not be "pretty" but its the most effective offense the rockets have thanks to the dominance of harden's 1:1 game. there is no real argument otherwise as all the numbers prove it.

I like it when the rockets win. I don't really care HOW they win. if you like ball movement and off-ball screens be a jazz or warrior fan.

jcf and D-rock like this.
  11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Alrite at times? Thats the rockets bread and butter..

Cp3 with his -6 bpm last game lol

12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

sometimes its bad offense when james relies too much on the step back. tonight is a bad example for OP to complain because he drove to paint so often and got fouled.

it can be hard to swallow that for the most part our dreams of a championship will largely be riding on james making step back 3s late in the game. he will probably opt to shoot than drive against teams with lots of long athletic defenders like GS and MIL.

im confident this team would have won last year if healthy, so i trust the team to keep doing what they do.

13. RetroRockets

RetroRockets Member

another casual who knows nothing about basketball and hates durant and harden. Newsflash without durant on the warriors the rockets would be working on their second straight ring. And Curry would still be stuck on 1 lol. Yes thats even with the crappy officiating in game 6 and game 7

jcf likes this.
  14. Caprah

Caprah Member

Makes sense since you can se the OP is a troll

15. Caprah

Caprah Member

Dumb thread by a moron

16. SemisolidSnake

I mean, who do I want with the ball in his hands at the end of the game? James Harden. Who do I trust to score? Pretty much only James Harden.

The main thing that makes me uneasy is not the single-dimension of these plays; it's the time used up on them. When you're leading by a single possession, you're not really in a position to burn clock. You need to extend that lead. Yet, the M.O. at the end of close games is often for Harden to burn the shot clock down to nothing, with the team going all-in on the hope that he's going to find a way to score. When he lets it get down to a couple seconds, you absolutely know the stepback is coming, and even if the defender can't stop it (which won't always be true with good teams), it's still a 30-40% chance at best that it's going in. I'd rather see an attempt to score faster in close games. The players on offense are often fully set with 10 seconds left on the shot clock.

My other concern is the team continuing to rain threes at the end of close games. That is the time to play conservatively and put ANY points on the board using the most effective method. If threes are still going to be the go-to, then they need to be gotten to faster in case they fail.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's a "bad offense" yet we are shtting on the 2nd best defense in the NBA. Idk y u gotta btch if its effective. Just bc we dont play team basketball like the rest of dem nba teams doesnt mean our offense is bad. Different doesnt mean bad, a simple fact u and those harden hating sport analysts needs to acknowledge before critcizing Hardens game.

U sound like that stupid clippers announcer accusing harden of cheating