1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden and 3 pt shooting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sammy, Oct 29, 2015.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I've been noticing since pre-season that Harden is settling for a lot of three point attempts. I know he shot 12 last night and this may come off as a knee-jerk thread but I feel like he's trying to shoot himself into games when his shot is off.

Basketball 101 when your shot is off is to work from inside out. Our system doesn't allow for many mid-range shots, which is pretty silly if you ask me. Anyway, I don't think Harden is in the shape that he needs to be in. I worry about that some after how Mcgrady approached the game. You can bet that Dwight stays in supreme shape.

Anyway, less 3 points shots, more shots in the paint and mid-range is the premise of this thread. I don't care if the refs aren't calling some fouls that he regularly gets. Be relentless (like Cushing :rolleyes:) and he'll be okay but he has to be in the shape required for that style of play.

2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I agree that he should shoot more midrange that's his bread and butter imo. But to say yes out of shape is dummy talk Hes nothing like tmac. This guy plays basketball all of season and works out religiously, him being out of shape is the furthest thing from the truth.

3. sammy

Well, I haven't been eaves dropping in the locker room to know for sure. I will say that the comments that he made in the preseason about working on his 3 point shot is what made me think about this some more. You don't practice on 3 pt shooting in real game scenarios. That's what practice is for. /AI

4. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

He looked a bit out of shape. At least not in NBA game shape. Probably why he didn't relentlessly attack the basket like he did the majority of last year. It may be a week or 2 until he plays his way into NBA game shape.

5. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

i said that earlier in the preseason, he looked out of shape

6. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

We all said this last season. :rolleyes:

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

he's prolly fat as hell and too lazy to play basketball. needs to pass those donuts my way

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This off season he was more focussed on b****ing and whining about deserved MVP Curry, his marketing and his brand and his chasing of tht ho Khloe and less focussed on basketball imrpovement

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

get ready to be flamed...

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yeah like I was last season.

People are noticing what a gimmick offense we have. This isn't new news. I've been saying this last 2 years and got bashed, how inefficient midrange game is and how we do run plays.

11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Man I cant wait for Curry to have an off game so I can say his work ethic sucks and he cared more about doing parades, making dance videos with his daughter and complaining to the media about Hardens comments.

12. malakas

malakas Member

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Man, you guys are the whiniest bunch of b****es ever. Seriously.

Harden's fat, Harden's out of shape, waaaaa! Waaaaaaa!!!

:rolleyes:

He's just as fat and out of shape as he was last year at the start of the season, and about the same as those games when he dropped 50+ points.

Dude had a bad game. It happens. Quit whining and let's move on.

14. OpenLayup-Why3?

Curry scored 24 in first quarter of first game of the season. When you talk all summer how you're the MVP and not Curry, then go poop in the opening game like that, James, I mean, cmon dude.

1 person likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It is amazing how every subpar Harden game turns this forum inside out. I hated Harden having a bad game last night, too. I'm not even remotely worried about it, though.

He had a bad game. It doesn't mean there is some existential crisis regarding Harden's game. He is one of the best offensive players in the game. Worry about something else.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Curry is a much better shooter than Harden. He will go down as one of the greatest pure shooter of all times.

Harden should keep his mouth shut and just focused on fine tuning his craft. Last night he was atrocious. We all know if he's having a good game, we will more and likely win.

17. sammy

This wasn't meant to be a Curry v Harden debate. If it's not a physical thing, it's a mental and coaching thing. Harden will be fine. The shot selection will be something I'll be watching.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We're at the point where this forum will turn anything into a Curry v Harden debate.

19. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

Is there some kind of stat that shows the consistency or streakyness in 3pt shooting. It jist seems our 3pt shooting is a lot more streaky and thus less reliable than say GS. Yes, I understand averages and the larger the sample size, the more things even out but averages dont always tell the whole story. All you got to look at is TJ shooting percentage last night to prove his stat doesnt reflect his true production. Anyways, we could be shooting 40% in threes but it wint help us if we make 80% in one game and 0% in another. Maybe its just that I watch most games and I notice our vulnerabilities a lot more than other teams but man when we get cold, we cannot make Shiit.

20. MistaK

MistaK Member

No Harden probably isn't in the shape he needs to be in - BUT it was GAME 1 of the season! Also consider that he was injured over the summer and somewhat banged up during pre-season.

To say that he isn't approaching the game in the right way seems somewhat unfounded though, as by all accounts from the players, coaches, organisation Harden is a workhorse. He will be in game shape in no time.

Harden, like every player has games where his shot is off (and looking at his last two years as a Rocket - he seems to start off a bit slow from the field). I do agree however, that on nights where he isn't feeling it he shouldn't be taking 12 3PTA

He might look in shape physically, but I'm pretty sure he won't be in game shape for a while either. He too hasn't been practising much and probably will be held on a minutes restriction for a while. So yeah, he too will probably have conditioning issues and will need time to adjust to the pace of games.