1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hanno Mottola

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by oakdogg, Apr 24, 2000.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

What do you guys think of this guy? He's a big 6-10 240 pounder who can hit the outside shot. How do you think he would fit in with the Rockets considering Rudy said he likes big guys with range? Where do you think he'll go in the draft?

------------------

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's VERY VERY VERY injury prone, and slow. Once, he was considered a lottery pick, but because of his faults in his game, now he's a mid 2nd rounder.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Keep in mind I am not mormon, but......

I love Utah!
    I love Rick Majerus!
    I love Keith Van Horn!
    I love Mike Doleac!
    I love ANdre Miller!

I do not think Mottola will be a good pro. Not sure why, but nothing about his game stands out. He is a solid player, but his defense is a bit suspect, and he is slower than a month of Sundays.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

4. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His game is not even going to be close to resembling Chris Mullin. Chris Mullin is one of the GREATEST SCORERS AND PLAYERS of our generation. Mottola will never achieve such an honor.

------------------

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Well hopefully he has gotten over his injuries. He may not be quick, but he seems to have a nice feel for the game and he hustles also. I think he will play the 3 in the NBA. Reminds me of a very unathletic Van horn or a taller chris mullin.
    If we had a mid 1st, i would take him.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

6. gr8-1

da man, i havent watched alot of hanno, but he seems to have the same feel for the game mullin did. neither are very athletic, but both seeem heady and have nice range. He may not put up the numbers chris did, but imo they are similar. Chris was great in college and was unstoppable the 1st half of his career, but the current mullin isnt great.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

7. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well we are not going to compare Mottola to the current Mullin because all that means is that Mottola doesn't belong on an NBA floor. But the Mullin in his prime was an absolute Hall of Fame type player. Mottola has a nice outside shot for a big man but Mullin is one of the all time best jump shooters regardless of position! Mullin moved without the ball better than any player period! He was a good ballhandler and passer. Mottola can't handle the rock and can't pass. His lateral quickness is in big time question. He's got a good post game which was never Mullin's strong suit. Mullin was a good defender in his day, Mottola is a liability. So once again, other than the fact that they are white and play small forward, I don't see many similarities at all.

------------------

8. gr8-1

good points, da man. Ill try to give you some counterpoints.

1. mullin may have more range, but i think mottola will be able to hit it from 3 point land.
    2. court savvy - when i watch mottola, he seems to always be in the right spot to hit a jumper or grab a board, which i know mullin did. I dont know if mottola can do it as well, but i just see it in him.
    3. ballhandling - its debatable how good of a handle hanno will have, but i dont remember chrisbeing a point forward type player. Im not saying he wasnt a good ball handler, i just dont think he was spectacular, imho.
    4. lateral quickness - hanno is slow, prolly cant play d. but mullin wasnt a stellar defender either. I think both guys compensate lack of ability with hustle and heady play.

------------------

9. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I don't see much a comparison between Mullen and Mottola either. Mullen was a great all-around player and was relatively athletic for college standards. Mottolla is slow, unathletic and not strong, but he is also tall, has court sense, and some scoring ability. If your looking for comparisons, Mottola is more like Larry Bird (but not 1/10th as good) or Toni Kukoc (but maybe 1/3 as good). On second thought maybe throw out Kukoc, he handles too well to be lumped with Mottola.

------------------

10. Lifetime Rocket

Lifetime Rocket New Member

I go to the University of Utah, and have watched Hanno play quite a bit. He is slow, but has an excellent inside out game. He will be a decent NBA player, but he is not worth our pick. We can get a lot better players than him with our pick in the draft. If he slips to the second round we should try to pick him up, but if I am not mistaken we don't have a 2nd round pick.

------------------

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

Hanno scored 32 points in 32 minutes and grabbed 11 rebounds in a win over Texas(Hanno played center that game because Nate Althoff was hurt). Chris Mihm scored 19 and grabbed 8 rebounds.