1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Half of All Jobs Will Be Replaced by Artificial Intelligence(AI) in 10 Years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, May 18, 2017.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This is a hypothetical assumption based on an already speculative premise. No one needs to do anything, poverty, third world starvation and regional conflicts will allocate resources in poorly bureaucratized in environments; consumer credit, targeted deficit spending and inflation in developed ones.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

While half of all current jobs won't be replaced in 10 years, AI is going to change things in ways we aren't prepared for. I don't think comparing it to the industrial revolution is accurate because the pace of change could accelerate to a very destructive level.

3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm confident Trump has got it under control.

4. lpbman

lpbman Member

No one I'd rather have in charge of "the cyber".

In all seriousness, the timeline isn't a sure thing, but the trajectory is. We are woefully unprepared for what is coming.

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

IBM's Watson system failed in MD Anderson, but the company brought it to our hospital for further improvement ,they don't seem to give up easily

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Do you have any idea how far AI have come? You can bet most of what the doctors can do today will be replaced by machines within a generation.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

In 20 years? I do not know. I think that that would be pretty aggressive. AI back in the 80s promised a whole of lot that never got fulfilled.

I can see a slow transition in medicine from PA screening (today) to PA+Watson screening with less MD involvement as time goes by. The last few times, I had a doctor appointment I literally saw the doctor for about 3-5 minutes. In 20 years, I can see that maybe doctor time per patient drop by half.

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

He gonna build a firewall to keep all those AIs out this country!

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Trump staffers - Please keep Trump away from the movies this weekend and avoid Alien Covenant. We'll have a War on the Machines agenda in the White House in place by Monday morning.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is a legit concern. I worry for people who are in the middle...a little too old to be going though education right now but not old enough to be saved up to ride it out. 35-45 maybe.

11. pirc1

That would be me, I am hoping I can ride out the wave and retire or come close to it when most of the jobs are replaced by AI.

12. body slam

body slam Member

Which jobs do they think will be replaced by AI in the next 10 years?

13. pirc1

Reporters, Some medical professionals, including many functions of doctors, many law professionals, drivers, etc.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The sales, marketing, and customer service industry is already being heavily impacted by AI. Where the need will still be is this idea of "emotional intelligence" and perspective selling & servicing customers.

Meaning if I had to consult anyone on how to make themselves more valuable in the modern era where AI is advancing these industries, you have to position yourself to give perspective & credibility in what you do rather than operating in an industry and role where you are a "check the box" solution.

15. pirc1

Financial sector will be hit very hard by AI revolution, the speaker said the software controlled investing he currently hold is making eight times the return of his human controlled investing holdings.

16. justtxyank

Everything will be hit.

I'm pondering what I should go learn

17. pirc1

He said there will be bigger demand for artists, good chefs etc that AI cannot yet duplicate in the foreseeable future.

18. justtxyank

Afraid i have no artistic side and nothing special as a cook.

I really wonder what will happen to America

19. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

There is actually quite a draw for AI created art....

20. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

So how are the robots going to be paid? Bitcoin?