1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Olajuwon EPIC Game 6 Highlights vs SuperSonics (1987 Playoffs) - 49 Pts, 25 Reb, 6 Blocks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Progs

Progs Member

Back when the game was played by men. Not this girly basketball product we have now.
    [​IMG]

dragonwill and Snow Villiers like this.
  2. hakeemthagreat

How is Lebron not the face of this

[​IMG]

3. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Wait who is this guy we are talking about?! It's like he is an all time great. Never hear him mentioned on any media when talking about the great bigs. MEDIA=JOKE

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Both ends of the court
    it seems to be a lost art that one dude demands attention on both ends

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  5. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

What sometimes gets lost while discussing his dominance at both ends of the court, is the level of competition he faced. Nothing like Lebron cake-walking through the Eastern teams or Shaq fighting off Divac or keeping Mutombo from scoring. He played Kareem to Shaq, not forgetting the PFs like Malone, Rodman and Kemp, sometimes throwing fists with the McDyess of the league.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Watching that I can't help but think that Hakeem was a far greater player when he was younger. He got smarter, his team got better, he aged like a fine wine, but there was something unreal about that man when his energy was up. The polish and paint aren't there, but that raw power and skill definitely is. I wish I had become a Houston fan earlier in life, but I wasn't living in Texas. I saw Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen in Chicago and neither of them could do what Hakeem did to me. You just can't take your eyes off the guy. He'll make 4 moves in the time it takes Iverson to cross someone over. Keem was pure magic.

Torn n Frayed and Killatron 2000 like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

Well, he did take the Rockets to the Finals in his second year and was blocking Kareem's sky hook.
    The athleticism and quickness for a guy that big is unmatched .

[​IMG]

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes I notice that 'newer' fans only care about offense, dunks, 3s.
    blocks, rebounds are not in fashion now.

I remember some idiots thinking that Harden is close to Dream. Even if he surpasses Dream in Offense, the defense is unmatched.
    I think it's unmatched in NBA history.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Rudy T: "The kids in Houston should love the Houston Rockets"
    Dream: "I want to be part of the team that brings the first championship to Houston"

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I hated that series

12. Rocketeer Bang

I watched that game live on TV back in the day. Akeem (he was still Akeem at that time) was like a one man wrecking crew. There was no such thing as a one way player back then. People weren't accepting excuses that since he was giving max effort on offense, therefore he's allowed to take plays off on defense. Akeem was king on both ends. Rebounds, steals, points, blocks, you name it, he did it all, and all the while with grace and tenacity. The Dream made me a life long Rockets fan. I think I got really spoiled watching Hakeem growing up, because basketball since has been kind of boring.

tinman likes this.