1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Guitar] Is this the best way to learn Stevie Ray Vaughan?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, May 5, 2023.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I've been playing guitar forever but always stayed away from SRV. He's technically a beast. We all know this. I kind of know the CAGED system so what he's playing is fast but not foreign if you know anything about CAGED and moving up/down the fretboard solo-ing in the pentatonic modes in a specific major/minor key.

But, damn...memorizing all these notes is a PITA! And, to play it the way SRV plays it...which is ultra-fast with raking style picking and lots of bends...is HARD AS F!

I've got the Bar 1 Riff and Bar 2 Riff down as far as memorizing and playing the notes...albeit played slower.

So, anyway...try to wrap your head around this lesson and try not to cry:

HELP ME! ;)

This is supposed to be fun!

Kevooooo and Deckard like this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

First of all, hails to SRV.

It's called being great lol... he had so much style and grace in a very simple form of music. The super thick strings and changing tones on a dime. The perfect gain setting that sounds both clean and overdriven. Guy just had it.

My first suggestion is make sure your technique is sound. Everyone's built different, to be sure, but I always felt like the thumb over thing was a ligament destroyer, speed killer, etc. Also having the guitar too low, making sure it's up over your waist, elbow basically under the neck or even.

Next I would say raking is pretty easy and it's more about muting than it is striking notes. That visual he's got for describing the "cage" or the "box" is cool, that's pretty much how I see a real guitar. Bluesy pentatonic stuff is a lot of pointer/ring finger action too, pointer doesn't move much like Bm7 it's just the 7th fret on every string. Not much to think about there.

Deckard, rocketsjudoka, Blatz and 2 others like this.
  4. Surfguy

Here's my technique. If I can hear it and play it in my head, then I can translate it to guitar. If I can't see it and hum it in my head, then I will never be able to play it. That's why SRV is incredibly difficult to me...because I have to be able to know and hum through those notes in my head at some speed. So, all that fancy layout of notes being highlighted and stuff while played at various speeds in the video...is really helpful. I wish that format was around in the 80s and 90s. LOL. But, taking...for example...Bar 1 Riff and playing it at some speed...I have to be able to play and see those notes played in my head. I don't know if all guitarists work that way but I think a lot do. I've seen John Mayer where he basically plays blues licks where he hums the notes and plays the notes he is humming at the same time. That amazes me. That is being in complete tune between your mind and the instrument.

I just want to play the blues, man. I guess I'll have to slow it down. Maybe I should try some riffs from BB King instead. lol

Deckard likes this.
  5. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

My last "secret" is just hours on hours of practice. Noodling as it were. There's a feeling, a touch that develops only through sheer experience. Stuff like rakes in between notes, trilling with speed and knowing you don't have to press so hard to play fast. It's just that time spent developing the tricks. Knowing where the slides and bends are. How to mute with either hand while playing.

For me too, I hated learning solos note for note. Felt soulless. I played Sweet child o' mine at my cousins wedding, didn't feel like I could really express myself because I didn't want to disappoint everyone who knows how it goes. I know why Slash hates that song because homie can shred.

Surfguy likes this.
  6. Surfguy

Yea...I'm a noodler as well. When you know some scales and shapes, you can noodle. But, these notes that I assume SRV came up with all in such a melodic, free flowing sequence is just astounding. I also know when you break them down into their smaller sections, they become licks that are strung together and easier to digest/learn. Timing is its own thing probably best done with metronome to build up speed of what you are playing until muscle memory kicks in and it becomes second nature.

Even after playing all the years I have, I mostly spent that time just learning songs of bands and guitar players I like. That builds a knowledge in its own. The patterns and shapes start coming out...along with understandings of where notes are on the fretboard, octaves, thirds, fifths, sevenths, diminished, whatever. I have a pretty good grasp of where specific notes lie but it depends on where I am on the fretboard really.

I mostly get off playing along to YouTube videos and such. I like to learn by ear. I like to watch instructional videos like the one above. Learning a song, by ear or Songsterr or whatever, is a challenge and a euphoric payoff when you learn it. I love those moments on guitar.

But, in the end, I think I'm what is condered at the pre-moderate level. I think anyone on the moderate level should be able to go to any note on the fretboard and name it. And, I'm not really into an understanding of a lot of theory...like scale modes (I've dabbled). I need scales work for sure. But, I'm at the point where I can identify a scale in a particular song's solo most of the time and have an "ah hah" moment. I've had a few of those moments over the years. And, I'm getting better at being able to move up and down the fretboard using the five shapes in CAGED with pentatonic. And, that's basically what SRV is doing in that video...with some other notes added.

I understand what you're saying about the rigidity of solos note-for-note. Even Kirk Hammett just stated that he doesn't like to play a solo the same way twice and likes to embellish/improv. Noodling makes a lot of sense if you hit the right notes. And, as Kirk also said just recently, you can hit a wrong note and then hit the right note next...to recover. Kirk was talking about how he wouldn't be playing the new album song solos the same way he recorded them on their tour because he's improvising. It's whatever sounds good and works.

My main band is Rush. Alex Lifeson is the dominator of fluid, melodic, mood solos and atmospheric, organic guitar playing. So, not a bad influence in my book.

7. Spooner

Spooner Member

Stevie was a master of phrasing. As crazy as it sounds getting the phrasing in your ears is way more important than trying to learn individual notes. It seems like you have the pentatonic scale already in your ears so once you get the phrasing, things will begin to snap into place and you will see and more importantly hear the solo in shapes and gestures instead of individual notes.

You mentioned the speed as an issue. If you feel like your technique is adequate I would highly suggest working on your understanding of rhythm. Start by learning 2/3 and 3/2 polyrhythms until you actually can hear and feel the polyrhythms both ways. If you haven't done it, this alone will revolutionize your understanding and playing of the blues. The blues is often taught now with a modern institutionalized approach where there is emphasis hearing the triplet feel but this only cheapens the authentic rhythmic components of the blues.That triplet feel itself is actually a slightly dumbed down polyrhythm and it is worth understanding if you want to understand someone like SRV and hear that kind of rhythmic phrasing for what it is.

Often times people have trouble playing fast phrases because of how they are feeling the rhythm. It really has nothing to do with technique in a lot of cases. Once you can feel both sides of a 2/3 polyrhythm try to feel the blues in 12/8. This will free you up tremendously. By doing this you can start to think in 4 bar phrases. Trying to play fast and also think bar to bar and 4 beats per measure is way too difficult and you are only getting in your own way if you try to do that. Its just not natural. Try to feel the blues in 12/8. This is how the blues was authentically felt before institutionalized learning simplified it. Hearing in 4 bar phrases is the way to go.

If you are working on an individual measure and speed is an issue, try feeling the time in 2/4. Good luck man!

8. Surfguy

Yea...my mind is breaking it down into digestible licks (a series of limited notes that have a noted start/end note)....I guess what you are calling phrases. And, then stringing them together.

Some of the stuff you are talking about is over my head but I will look into it as it's probably something holding my playing back.

As far as trying to play fast, I wouldn't dream of trying to match SRV's pace there at the moment. It would be a waste of time. You have to play it right slow before you can play it fast.

I made some decent progress on "Eruption" to where I knew the notes but couldn't pace it right in parts. lol

On the feel part, that's a huge part of it imo. And, when you feel it, the dopamine flows.

Good stuff.

I remember back when I was a teen. I was beginning guitar at around thirteen. About three years later, I went to some party and these two guys had guitars / rigs in a bedroom. I sat down. And, they just started "noodling" together and it was one of the most amazing musical experiences of my life. They were on point and bouncing off each other with their playing. These guys were expert level. That had to feel insane. The music they produced on the fly was like Heaven.

#8 Surfguy, May 5, 2023
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
    Dankstronaut and Spooner like this.
  9. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

The brutal part about the need to express and improvise is like when I record something and feel like it's the right vibe 3 months later I can't remember what I did.

Surfguy likes this.
  10. Surfguy

On another note, the biggest f-ing problem I have is keeping my PRS in tune...especially the G string. I tried applying that silicon stuff, re-stringing, etc. It has those wing locking tuners. I guess I should take it to a luthier. It's frustrating because sometimes it will stay in tune but a lot of times it won't. At a minimum, I should get it checked right as it's my main axe? I have a strat as well but the neck isn't as comfortable to me. May go back to it. It's got its own tuning problems. :mad:

I woke up playing the blues this morning just using those positions and shapes that BB King uses in the other video (like the one above). And, I had it going on. Those was some tears coming out! :( ;) And, a lot of it was feel in the moment and being fluid.

11. Surfguy

Isn't that pretty much same as recording a guitar solo? A lot of those solos are improvised on the spot and feel-based. Alex Lifeson does it like that. Then, he has to go back and re-learn what he did. But, another player like Vivian Campbell...that guy may have it all planned out before he even attempts it. Not sure but he seems like that. Very technical.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about! I can kind of recall the boxes I played in, maybe a specific lick but all the little details that make solos shine are hard to recall and reproduce exacto.

13. Surfguy

Tell me about how you rate yourself on guitar and your ability. Please. :) Same goes to Spooner. I'm kind in the dark. lol

14. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

You tell me?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This and...

As guitarists we are obsessed with patterns. Ever heard Mayer practicing? Sing it out, play it slow with a metronome and build speed. You need to transcend the visualizaiton and feel each interval you are playing. Guitarists are the only ones I feel run into this issue

Record yourself as a means to improve, if you practice its very hard to critique yourself otherwise. You just can't. Listen/watch your takes.

I hit a wall a couple of years ago and really just played rhythm with occasional fills...hated lead. Not a virtuoso like some people in this thread so maybe my adivce may help on how to improve in respect to it. Improving my rhythm playing and fundamentals is what helped. My First guitar teacher was a virtuoso who had a song that was top 10 on the radio at the time, he played with a couple of the all time blues greats on stage as a kid and didn't teach me this stuff because he was a virtuosos...most of us aren't

1) Stop noodling all the time

Its crazy fun, but it doesn't help you progress. Spend 30 minutes on exercises building your right hand with a metronome. Practice triads, chord shapes. The entire fretboard should be a collection of triads and chord inversions (similar to how you are working on CAGED)

2) Learn every note and interval, plain and simple...spent 10 years fcking around, just do it. Its not that hard.

3) Sound out each interval when playing so when you're playing it out its not "I need to go to the 5th since I was just playing x" . You feel each interval

4.) Nothing wrong with the pentatonic, add notes aka blues notes or other notes when you play, get good at it theres a reason every great guitarist shined on it. Do one thing really really well

5.) Master the hendrix songs, double stops etc, stevie played it really well. Needs to be the foundation to it all

6) Play with other musicians, until you do this you can't break this final wall

I was able to play texas flood flawlessly (def not one of his hardest songs) but playing it by just going by shapes etc and then doing the above made a world of a difference. I've gone back to hendrix stuff and do that so much better too because I'm not a big lead guy, but I found the above to help me

#15 LosPollosHermanos, May 6, 2023
    Last edited: May 6, 2023
  16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Any expert/advanced intermediate player will say these songs are extremely doable to learn in a short period of time...but there's a big difference between playing all the notes and playing it right in rhythm/etc

Pilky is probably the youtube virtuoso when it comes to Hendrix/SRV/Mayer stuff. Heres him playing slow dancing (3 chord progression that would otherwise seem easy) but I guarantee you very few people outside of Mayer get close to playing it like this

17. Surfguy

It reminds me of Alex Lifeson”s newer stuff after Rush. Are you his brother? Sounds experimental with a funky vibe. It’s really good. Love the atmosphere and feels very organic.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  18. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

lol I am nobody. Just a guy who had a fun hobby. Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for listening!

19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

interesting thread yall. ive been playing guitar for almost 35 years and im still learning new stuff. i have played guitar in several bands and consider myself pretty competent, but i never learned a lot of this stuff. i know its pretty basic, but i dont know what the CAGED system is! ive heard of it, but i never bothered to learn it, which i am going to rectify thanks to this thread.

Deckard and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  20. Surfguy

what is your recording rig? I haven’t recorded in a while but, when I did, latency and not hearing exactly what was being recorded were problems for me at times. Should I try the iRig iPad attachment and use GarageBand? Or, whatever. I understand recording practices is part of finding your weak spots and improving in those areas.

one thing i've learned is tactile feel and how high you raise your fingers along with those pressure points when fretting a note or unfretting a note. it's all so subtle and very important to the final sound. as a novice, i would never grasp the importance of that. hence, the practicing with the spider crawl vertically all the way up and down. tough to nail that at high speed or even slow speed!

#20 Surfguy, May 6, 2023
    Last edited: May 6, 2023