1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guess who the Rockets will end up with on draft night

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's always hard to predict which way Daryl Morey goes with his pick ("Aaron Brooks? Who the hell is he!?"), and it's probably even harder this year since the Rockets have 3 picks (14, 23, 38) and there's the usual trade efforts.

I thought it would be fun for each of us to guess what will happen and see who comes closest.

Ground rules:

1. Three (3) guesses per person to be made in the same post.
    (I thought about limiting it to one guess per person, but every one probably have multiple scenarios in mind._

2. The scenarios in each guess can involve trades for different picks (trade up, trade down) or for players already under contract.

3. Specify both (a) whom the Rockets will acquire, and (b) where the player get picked or (in the case of a veteran) who/what gets traded for him.

4. If you want to, explain why you think each guess makes sense.

Anyhow, here are my three guesses:
    Guess #1: With the 14th and 23rd pick of the NBA draft, the Houston Rockets select.... Nobody. Instead, the Rockets trade the 14th pick abd the 23rd pick, Courtney Lee, Brad Miller, Hasheem Thabeet, and Jordan Hill to the Utah Jazz for Kevin McHale's out-of-wedlock son Al Jefferson. With the 38th pick, the Rockets select Darius Morris.

Why? Kevin McHale is Al Jefferson's father and kind of had success with him (Coach of the Month! Yea!). Utah is going young and probably looking to lighten their financial load a bit. Some mock drafts have Morris fall to the 2nd round, if so, he seems to be the kind of guy the Rockets will pick up.
    Guess #2 The "Staying put" scenario. At 14, the Rocket select Donatas Motiejunas. At 23rd, the Rockets select Nikola Mirotic. At 38, The Rockets select Darius Morris.

I am guessing the Rockets will pick a big at 14th if a decent one is available. Motiejunas and Vucecic each make some sense and I'm guessing here they go with the higher upside guy (I won't be depressed if Vucevic is the pick, either, though). Mirotic is said to have lotto talent but signed a long contract in Europe and OKC (pick 24) or SAS (29th) are supposed to have some interest. Given that the team has several picks, this seems to be a good "draft and stash" option.
    Guess #3 The "Trading Up" Scenario: The Rockets trade the 14th pick, the 23rd pick, the 2012 Knicks pick, the 2012 Rockets pick should it fall within the lotto and not given to Grizzlies but with top 3 protection, Chase Budinger, Courtney Lee, Jordan Hill, Brad Miller and Hasheem Thabeet to Cleveland for the 4th pick + Baron Davis + Ramon Sessions. The Rockets select Jonas Valanciunas with the 4th pick of the NBA draft. With the 38th pick, the Rocket draft (you guessed it) Darius Morris.

This seems like the kind of steep price for moving up that high. Eating a big chunk of salary and giving up package with 2 young rotation players, 3 or maybe 4 first rounders, and other young guys/expiring contracts.

#1 Carl Herrera, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

14: Nikola Vucivic (sorry if I spelt that wrong)
    23: Tyler Honeycutt
    2nd round: Josh Selby

1 person likes this.
  3. JimmyJackson

JimmyJackson Member

14th: Morey fired for ruining the franchise.
    23rd: Morey goes to hell and never comes back.
    2nd round: CD Returns and brings Rudy T w/him.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

That seems like an awful lot to give up for Jefferson. I know Thabeet has done little, but I think they might be a little desperate to see if he might pan out. Then you're trading Lee, your best wing defender on a defense that needs improvement, and two potential pieces with the draft picks, albeit a "weak draft". Obviously we have little room for these picks right now, but I don't think Morey is going to jump the gun on selling them off.

I like Jefferson (don't love him though) and would think very hard about that deal, but it just doesn't seem like a Morey move. I also shudder at the abysmal speed/athleticism we would see with a Scola/Jefferson frontcourt. You make that deal and you have about $40 million tied up in Martin, Jefferson, Lowry, and Scola ... plus whatever Chuck receives. Patterson next to AJ makes more sense, but that assumes you can trade Scola.

Just too many question marks, not to mention discussion on whether Utah would actually take it in return.

5. karmapolice119

14th: Chris Singelton
    23rd: Nikola Vucevic
    2nd round: Jeremy Tyler

After 2.5 unhappy years in Cleveland, Rockets trade for Kyrie Irving, where he blossoms into the next Chris Paul

6. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I am gonna make one guess. That is all I need. Stay put. We draft Jordan Hamilton. Chase Budingers clone with the 14th pick. Morey likes being redundant but adding no size at the same time. with the other? Throw in european name here with next pick and Rockets season ends up carbon copy of last three years. Alot of talk about trades that never get done and players who are young assets sitting on the pine to win 44 games and miss the playoffs. So we can have the 14 pick in next years draft. Rinse and repeat. Morey trades role players for more 1st round lower round picks. Rinse and repeat. Talk about Chris Paul and of course Dwight Howard. They shun us even though Morey goes after them hard and fails. 14th pick in year afters draft.

1 person likes this.
  7. MONON

MONON Member

14. Chris Singleton
    23. Nikola Vucovic
    38. Darius Morris

8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

guys

you all have three and not only one guess

9. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

what's most depressing is that scenario is totally possible.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Guess #1: We trade Courtney Lee, Jordan Hill and a future protect 1st rounder to Chicago for Omer Asik, Kyle Korver and the 30th pick. We trade Luis Scola, the 23rd pick and 30th pick to Houston's second Dleague team Sacromento Kings for the 7th pick and Kevin Martin's best friend Francisco Garcia. We select Kwahi Leonard with the 7th pick and Donatas Montiejunas with the 14th.

Lowry/Dragic
    Martin/Garcia
    Leonard/Budinger
    Patterson/Montiejunas
    Asik/Hayes

Guess #2: Same trade with Chicago that nets us Asik. We trade the 14th pick, 23rd pick, 30th pick and Terrence Williams to Charlotte and Morey's wealthier asian cousin Rich Cho for the 9th pick and Eduardo Najera. We select Kwahi Leonard with the 9th pick.

Lowry/Dragic
    Martin/Korver
    Leonard/Budinger
    Scola/Patterson
    Asik/Hayes

Guess #3: We trade the 14th pick and Terrence Williams to Golden state and Morey's arch nemesis Jerry West for the 11th pick. We select Bismack Biyombo with the 11th pick and Tobias Harris with the 23rd.

Lowry/Dragic
    Martin/Lee
    Harris/Budinger
    Scola/Patterson
    Hayes/Biyombo

EDIT:

On second thought, I like Marcus Morris way more than Kwahi Leonard. Replace with him in Guess #1 and #2.

#10 CXbby, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Scenario 1: The Rockets trade 14, 23, and next year's Knick pick (which is currently projected in the middle of the pack of what is thought to be a very strong draft) to the Pistons for #8 to draft...Jonas Valanciunas, who has inexplicably fallen to this number after Kemba Walker and Jimmer Fredette get picked in front of him.

Scenario 2: The Rockets stand pat and draft 14. Chris Singleton, 23. Davis Bertans, 38. Nolan Smith.

Scenario 3: The Rockets trade 14 and 23 for Charlotte's 19th pick and a first rounder next year. At 19 they draft Donatas Motiejunas.

I think there's a greater than 75% chance we trade one of our first round picks in this draft. And I think the most likely trade of all would be to send #23 to another team that's picking in the back half of the draft to receive another (projected) late first-round lotto-protected pick next year.

If Morey really is a stock broker type then he's gonna consider this year's picks like a New England Patriots staff considers their first round picks every year, stashing it for either a better draft or a better time (and not a rebound year like this upcoming one is projected to be).

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Martin #s 14 and 23 for Jefferson #3.

Jefferson + Bud + Miller + #38 for Maggette + Gooden #10

#10 + Scola + (Dragic after 7/1 er strike) for #5 + Calderon

With the 3rd and 10th picks the Rox select...oh, sorry, only allowed three.

13. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

This would be essentially giving up our entire team and adding HORRIBLE contracts for picks in a fairly weak draft.

I really hope this does not happen.

Prediction:
    Somehow Morey nets the #2, #3 pick, or Jefferson, it may require EITHER adding a bad contract OR giving up Scola (hopefully) OR Martin + fillers (picks, lesser player).

Rockets end up getting Kanter or Jefferson.

Adding to this (more of hope than prediction), Yao plays reduced minutes to start the season, and stays healthy for the playoffs.

If Scola is gone:
    C: Yao/Hayes
    PF: Kanter OR Jefferson/PPat
    Rest doesn't change

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Thing one
    23. Thing two
    38. Thing three

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

14. Chris Singleton
    23. Nikola Vuvevic
    38. Iman Shumpert

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Come to think of it, is there a better fit for McHale to pass his post moves to than Donatas Montiejunas? The kid is 20 years old, and his favorite player in the NBA is Luis Scola. I think he is being severely underrated on draft boards because he has been over scrutinized for so many years. Imagine if he just came on the scene like Biyombo. He'd be a lock for top 10 pick. What's the knock on him again? Mental toughness? Like that is set in stone for a 20 year old. Plenty of people said that about Yao. Hell, you could have said that about Dirk up until a couple weeks ago. I don't buy it.

I hereby guarantee that Donatas Montiejunas will be selected by the Houston Rockets.

17. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

14.Enes Kanter Rockets keep both picks but trade #14 & Kittens To Minny For Webster & #2 Pick
    23.Marshon Brooks DM traded Kittens To Minny so take Brooks & Watch him grow
    38.Jeremy Tyler Rockets take a chance and draft him since he has a high ceiling...

18. VanityHalfBlack

Kwame Brown....

19. Aggie2012

Aggie2012 Contributing Member

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Nikola Vuvevic gets my vote. Just get him somehow.